will they allow my 16yr old child be allowed on the dawn with a school id

robny2

[quote name='robny2']im leaving on sun and now im being told i need a state issued id, my daughter only has a school id and a birth certificate. I would hate to go to the port then be turned away i called ncl and half say yes and half say no. whats gonna happen im goin nutts thanks for any info.[/quote]
Yes, robny2, I was worried too. I took both the original BC and a copy for my 16 and 11 y/o. At the airport, they asked their age and name. I did not show or was asked for their BC's. They each had their SCHOOL ID. It was accepted everywhere. When I arrived at the pier, they also asked their name and age. I asked the NCl person what the deal was with the BC, she said that as long as they can answer with their name and age, that was ok, and we were able to use their school ID, hope this helps.

DW & I flew through DFW, Denver, San Fran, Honolulu and Hilo HI over christmas holidays at each airport our passports received NOTICEABLY less time-consuming scrutiny in security lines at airports and piers.
Any time a security official examines something beyond standardized travel documents, they have to look more carefully - then they start to think, then they wonder if they need to CYA, then they get their supervisor to clear it, etc etc etc...
Bite the bullet...get a passport - besides...it's fun to collect visa stamps! :D

Thanks for the response. It's ok...we're all good. I got confused by auntiebarbs post on the first page. All family members have a valid passport and we always bring the Health cards just in case.

Nothing left to do but pack and read the boards now :)

[quote name='Sandyrella']Thanks for the response. It's ok...we're all good. I got confused by auntiebarbs post on the first page. All family members have a valid passport and we always bring the Health cards just in case.

Nothing left to do but pack and read the boards now :)[/quote]

Enjoy your cruise. We will in 8 months!

• 2 weeks later...
Those of you who do not have passports, may I ask why???
Americans are big tippers, I know the average American most likely tips out hundreds of dollars each year,,,, and yet, for the safety and security of their OWN country, they are reluctance to get the best form of id available, and it is CHEAP too, remember to average the cost out by the amount of years it is good for, geesh, some of you spend more at Starbucks in a month! LOL

Stop with the silly " I'LL bring this and this and the dental records etc etc. ... LOL , get the one sure shot id.

[quote name='pg.']Those of you who do not have passports, may I ask why???
Americans are big tippers, I know the average American most likely tips out hundreds of dollars each year,,,, and yet, for the safety and security of their OWN country, they are reluctance to get the best form of id available, [/QUOTE]

Your question seems to touch on part of the problem here. Many of us aren't convinced that passports will increase safety and security. BTW-b4 you ask, yes, my family uses passports.

-Monte

Yes, passports can be forged or doctored. But as most of the world has discovered, it costs more to forge or doctor a false passport than what a real passport cost. Customs officals throughout the world know what a passport should look like, not many of the customs officials know what every US state's drivers license or birth certificate should look like.

A passport is a tiny little book printed on special bond paper with security measures involved. Birth certificates don't have any security measures involved whatsoever. In simplier words, its very difficult to copy a passport, much less forge one.

I wanted to add it doesn't appear that Congress will pass another delay at the last moment flying passports to the Caribbean, so I wouldn't count on another delay for cruising passports next year either.

Get your passports NOW, this year. You will need them next year.

[quote name='pg.']Those of you who do not have passports, may I ask why???
Americans are big tippers, I know the average American most likely tips out hundreds of dollars each year,,,, and yet, for the safety and security of their OWN country, they are reluctance to get the best form of id available, and it is CHEAP too, remember to average the cost out by the amount of years it is good for, geesh, some of you spend more at Starbucks in a month! LOL

Stop with the silly " I'LL bring this and this and the dental records etc etc. ... LOL , get the one sure shot id.[/QUOTE]

I have one, it's just expired right now. And for the past couple years since it expired, the renewal has been beyond our reach. Plus, we need to get one for our two year old, so it becomes even more. With that out of reach, obviously we haven't been travelling much recently. But now that things are changing, we'll be back to normal as it pertains to travelling (I define that sense of normal as having a passport).

Even if you only travel domestically, as I mainly have since going to Ireland in October of '95 (leading to the confusion that let it expire...I was thinking that in October '05 I would need to renew, forgetting and not checking that I'd gotten the p'port in June of '95) with the exception of Canada (but that travel hasn't required the p'port until now), passports make things SO much faster! I used to use mine to check in to airlines and it was SO fast! Using a driver's license, since there are as many versions as there are states, requires them to really look at it, whereas a passport allowed a briefer look to determine if it was real and if it was you...

And, of course, going in and out of Canada was a pain b/c my son has a WA birth certificate, which looks FAKE FAKE FAKE, and I have a CA birth certificate (which looks real, LOL) so the person looking at them had to earn his pay figuring out what was what (though I'll assume a border guard at the WA/Canada border knows what WA b.c.s look like), and it took MUCH longer! Then we'd hand hubby's passport to the person and that was much zippier.

So I'm a reluctant and temporary non-holder of a non-expired passport. :)

Now I'll have to get on our 2 year old about why HE hasn't gotten one yet! ;)

Oh, by the way, do countries nowadays actually stamp the passport? I only got one stamp in mine, in Ireland...Canada never stamped it...that always made me sad b/c I wanted lots of stamps like DH's passport...then again, his travel was all to and within Asia, not only our country's neighbor!

[quote name='Don Haynes']Yes, passports can be forged or doctored. But as most of the world has discovered, it costs more to forge or doctor a false passport than what a real passport cost. ...

In simplier words, its very difficult to copy a passport, much less forge one..[/quote]

Don't fool yourself.
How many MILLIONS have entered this country with NO PAPERWORK?

And I have no idea what the comment about it costing more to forge than a real one costs??? If somebody wants a fake one, cost is far from the issue.

[quote name='mollyeilis']Oh, by the way, do countries nowadays actually stamp the passport? I only got one stamp in mine, in Ireland...Canada never stamped it...that always made me sad b/c I wanted lots of stamps like DH's passport...then again, his travel was all to and within Asia, not only our country's neighbor![/quote]

The US doesn't stamp them either. Mexico does sometimes.

This coming from a Canadian who holds a passport and is still asking why people are so reluctant to get a dang passport!

Archived