will they allow my 16yr old child be allowed on the dawn with a school id

robny2

im leaving on sun and now im being told i need a state issued id, my daughter only has a school id and a birth certificate. I would hate to go to the port then be turned away i called ncl and half say yes and half say no. whats gonna happen im goin nutts thanks for any info.

I would take her down to the DMV and get an ID for her. I believe that this is what you need for her to sail, or a passport.

I couldn't find NCL's policy, but here is what it states on RCI's website:

Domestic Travel For domestic travel which includes: the Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico, a passport (valid or expired) is highly recommended.

In the absence of a passport, a birth certificate (original or a certified copy), plus a picture ID card issued by a federal, state or local government agency is required.

A voter registration card or Social Security Card are not considered to be proof of citizenship.

Children under 16 years of age do not require a picture ID.

Since schools aren't government agencies, I believe you need to get another form of ID.

Not sure about NCL's rules about ID's, but Carnival states that anyone 16 yrs or older must have an "official" photo ID. Don't quite know what constitutes an "official" ID, but I would think that having something, like her school ID with a picture on it and her birth certificate would be proof enough for identification purposes. Just to be sure, call NCL again and ask to speak to a supervisor, most of the service reps don't know anything except making bookings and giving prices, basically only what they see on their computer screens.If you still don't get a satisfactory answer, call customer service if there is a seperate number for it. Good Luck!:)

Happy Cruising :D

Barb

i dont have her social security card which i need to get the state id, and i sail sun so i wont have enough time, im so upset i dont know what to do

Would her school records include a copy of her SS card? Maybe that would help you to get her ID. Just a thought.

One could argue (which means many will not agree), anyway, one could argue that a school is the "government" and therefore the school ID is okay.

If you have no other options, give it a try.

I tried to find out exactly that the immigration folks will require upon your return to the states and could not find it. Everything talks about the new passport rules which do not apply (yet) to ship travel. The main reason that the ship will ask for documents is because they will be bringing you back to the states and can get in trouble for bringing you without proper documentation.

I'd say don't risk your cruise by going unprepared. Make an emergency trip to either get a passport issued in person or find out where you need to go for a government issued ID card.

Per NCL's website:

Proof of Citizenship & Proof of Identity U.S. and Canadian citizens must provide PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP and PROOF OF IDENTITY for boarding NCL cruises returning to the United States from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean (valid through 31 December 2007):

PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP consists of one of the following:

• Valid or recently expired passport (preferred)
  • Original or state certified copy of a birth certificate (photocopies are not accepted)
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Report of a Birth Abroad

PROOF OF IDENTITY consists of one of the following:

(applicable to everyone 16 years of age and older)

• Valid driver's license that includes a photograph
  • Government identification card that includes a photograph and physical description

I wanted to add with the changes in travel upcoming next year for cruises abroad, everyone including kids should have passports. There is no excuse for not having a state id card today, especially when considering a cruise.

And if you're planning to travel abroad by air today, there is no excuse for not having both a passport and a state id card today. We have seen this coming since 9-11. After five years, you only have yourself to blame.

The rest of the world is laughing at us.

Leaving Sunday will not allow time for a passport. We have been ask on cruises for school id for under age. I would say it is your only hope with no more time than you have. Please keep us posted as to what happens. Good luck.

For those that are offering advice, note the the OP mentioned they are traveling SUNDAY. Most options are gone, other than a picture ID at the state DMV.

Taking a chance is about all she has left.

Again, the biggest issue is with immigration, not the ship. You might get the ship to bend their rules, but you are not going to get any slack beyond what the FEDS require upon return.

Years ago we got government issued photo ID's for our kids from our county clerk's office. I don't remember exactly what info we needed in order to get it, but it's worth a phone call to your county to see if they can help you. They might accept a birth certificate along with school ID as "proof" of citizenship. We had to provide our own photos, just like you do with a passport, so make sure you get the pics before going for the ID card. Given that it's already Friday and most county offices aren't open past 4:00 (at least around here) you might have to get your daughter out of school early to get the photo and then get her to your county office in time.

GOOD LUCK and please let us know the outcome!

I am so sorry this happened to you, I do think your travel agent is somewhat to blame. Your ta should have made it clear what forms of id were required for travel. I would be so upset, I do hope it works out for you!

One thing that I do think is wierd in general. In Canada we all assume that when you leave the country to go anywhere ( other then the States, which of course now also changing) you need a passport. Drivers licences and school ids just wouldn't cut it. I mean they are easy to fake. I got my own first passport when I was 10, before that I was on my parents passport, wish they still put kids on parents passports, seems it would be easier and cheaper all around.

Americans , get your passports, the rest of the world uses them and they are the best form of id.

Op, Good luck, I would still try for an "emergency passport" .

Won't go into what you "should've done" (passports for everyone) but if it makes you feel any better, there was a family on our Thanksgiving cruise who had an 18 year old son who forgot(lost) his driver's license. Mom explained it was lost in travel and he got on flights, and ship.:rolleyes: Good luck and get the pp for future!!!!:cool:

Won't go into what you "should've done" (passports for everyone) but if it makes you feel any better, there was a family on our Thanksgiving cruise who had an 18 year old son who forgot(lost) his driver's license. Mom explained it was lost in travel and he got on flights, and ship.:rolleyes: Good luck and get the pp for future!!!!:cool:

I just started pre-registration process for our Feb cruise and it seems you need both a picture Id and either a passport or birth certificate. Got the passport in September, now I am wondering if a learner's permit which has his picture is as acceptable as a license, or do I need to go to DMV and get another ID for my just turned 16 year old? Thanks!

I just started pre-registration process for our Feb cruise and it seems you need both a picture Id and either a passport or birth certificate. Got the passport in September, now I am wondering if a learner's permit which has his picture is as acceptable as a license, or do I need to go to DMV and get another ID for my just turned 16 year old? Thanks!

A learners' permit should suffice. It is a government issued ID card. The photo ID is mainly to show identification, the birth certificate to show proof of nationality. A passport shows proof for both, identification and nationality.

we all have our passports and DH and I both have driver's license with picture but our 16 y/o DS doesn't have his yet. Do you think his health card (with picture) would be sufficient? It is issued by our Provincial government, not Federal. He also has his school ID.

Any thoughts? Never thought we would have to bring extra ID for him....:(

I am booked on the January 13th Majesty cruise. While I spent what felt like forever on hold this week waiting to hear info about the state of the ship canned music played in my ear interrupted every 30 seconds by a recording that stated "As of Dec 31 all passengers will be required a passport"

I highly recommend everyone keep their important papers organized. I used a zip loc bag, and kept all of my family's important papers: passport, copy of social security card, copy of state id, certified birth certificate, copy of school id, health care card, and immunizations records. I kept them in a tackle box on the top shelf of our bedroom closet along with all of our insurance records.

You'll never have a panic search again.

That isn't right. You need either a picture ID and birth certificate

OR you need a passport. A passport is a picture ID.

If you have a passport..that will suffice. Nothing else needed.

No passport - picture ID (gov., issued i.e. permit, license) plus birth certificate.

People...get passports for all of your family for any kind of travel:)

Simple to do and relieves the stress.

Archived