will they allow my 16yr old child be allowed on the dawn with a school id

robny2

I have this funny feeling next year we are going to be hearing much about passports. And I don't think the congress will delay the passport program again.

DON'T DELAY, GET YOUR PASSPORTS NOW.

And we are going to be hearing much about passports NOW when cruisers have missed the ship or need to return on an emergency & they are stranded in a foreign airport without a passport...

DONT DELAY, GET YOUR PASSPORT NOW!

Another reason to not wait until the last minute to get everything in order...

Everyone should go ahead and get a passport, but don't wait two days before your cruise or any other trip to figure out you don't have what you need. You know when you book what you have to have in order to fly or board the ship...I don't understand why so many people end up the day before their cruise and don't have the proper ID.:rolleyes:

OP: A school picture ID and a birth certificate are fine.

I'm not assuming, I'm telling you from experience.

No need to panic about rushing to get another form of ID.

We will be cruising, once again with a pile of kids of all ages. Those that don't have their driver's licenses yet will use their school id's.

DH and I have our passports but have decided to delay the expense of passports for the kids until later this year as passports are not mandatory yet for cruises beginning and ending in the USA. IF something should happen a 5 minute phone call would take care of any problems we might have trying to board a flight to get home right away.

Don't let anyone freak you out or make you feel like you didn't cover all your bases! Have Fun on your cruise :)

I'll ask my TA, I believe she said any questions would be taken up with the US representatives of the airline at the US based air port. She will be traveling with us and said there shouldn't be any problems. Especially since we will have our passports and all the documentation that proves the children are ours.

As of Jan 2007 ALL passengers need passports. I don't understand why people would risk their vacation because they want to delay in getting one or think they don't need one. 99.5 percent of cruise ships leaving from a US port go to ports outside the US. You wouldn't take a flight from New York to Hong Kong with a school ID now would you??? :)

As of Jan 2007 ALL passengers need passports. I don't understand why people would risk their vacation because they want to delay in getting one or think they don't need one. 99.5 percent of cruise ships leaving from a US port go to ports outside the US. You wouldn't take a flight from New York to Hong Kong with a school ID now would you??? :)

It is not required by the US Government that we have passports for cruising to ports in the Caribbean. Some cruise lines (I hear) are requiring it, but not all are. It IS highly recommended that passengers have them, though.

We will be cruising, once again with a pile of kids of all ages. Those that don't have their driver's licenses yet will use their school id's.

DH and I have our passports but have decided to delay the expense of passports for the kids until later this year as passports are not mandatory yet for cruises beginning and ending in the USA.

Not completely true...we are going to Alaska in May which begins and ends in Seattle, but because one of our ports is Prince Rupert, we must take our passport with us when we get off the ship. May be true for Caribbean ports, but not Canada.

In my opinion, passports just make it easier. You don't have to show your DL if you have a passport...only one little book to have in hand with your airline ticket, not ticket, birth certificate and DL.

i dont have her social security card which i need to get the state id, and i sail sun so i wont have enough time, im so upset i dont know what to do

I haven't read this thread all the way through, but I didn't have a SS card for my son and we still had the DMV make an ID. He asked for a transcript from his elementary school in lieu of the card. I hope it all works out. :)

You must live in a different state than me. In my state they won't allow any children to enter their schools unless they have a social security card. Of course, my state is a border state.

Some of the cities and towns in my state have passed new laws so that one must be a US citizen to buy or rent a home, that's how far its getting, visas and green cards don't count. Of course, I'm expecting these laws to be struck down by a federal court before long.

How long is a child's passport valid for??? I will be getting passports for my children ages 1 and 4 and I was just curious how often you must renew them??? Is it 10 years like adult ones or do they need to be renewed sooner??? Thanks:)

How long is a child's passport valid for??? I will be getting passports for my children ages 1 and 4 and I was just curious how often you must renew them??? Is it 10 years like adult ones or do they need to be renewed sooner??? Thanks:)

Children's passports are good for 5 years.

I agree with other posters who say that there is no reason to delay getting a passport if you are likely to be taking a cruise in the future. As the deadline for needing passports to travel to Canada and Mexico nears, there will be more of a logjam in the passport processing. Better to have one a year early than to deal with the extra stress next year.

You must live in a different state than me. In my state they won't allow any children to enter their schools unless they have a social security card. Of course, my state is a border state.

Some of the cities and towns in my state have passed new laws so that one must be a US citizen to buy or rent a home, that's how far its getting, visas and green cards don't count. Of course, I'm expecting these laws to be struck down by a federal court before long.

I'm in North Carolina, Don. I don't remember needing anything when my kids first went to school. But a lot of the teachers also taught me years ago. It's a small, small town. :)

[quote name='heelfan94']I'm in North Carolina, Don. I don't remember needing anything when my kids first went to school. But a lot of the teachers also taught me years ago. It's a small, small town. :)[/QUOTE]

Here in Colorado, from what I understand, the schools DO NOT ask for a SS card. As long as you can prove proof of residency in the school district (can be done with a utility statement, voter registration card, etc.), they will enroll your child. Most school districts are claiming it is not their job/purpose to identify people who are here illegally. They believe their job is to educate the students and their status doesn't matter.

[quote name='Momof2kids']Children's passports are good for 5 years.

I agree with other posters who say that there is no reason to delay getting a passport if you are likely to be taking a cruise in the future. As the deadline for needing passports to travel to Canada and Mexico nears, there will be more of a logjam in the passport processing. Better to have one a year early than to deal with the extra stress next year.[/quote]
Here's something you need to know:

The passports aren't required for travel to Canada and Mexico. They ARE REQUIRED by the US Dept of Homeland Security for ALL travel by AIR INTO the USA as of Jan 23, 2007. This means AIR travel from ANY country, not just Canada and Mexico. It also means that any American Citizen wishing to return home will need a passport to gain entry.

If I flew from Vancouver, BC to Puerto Vallarta with no stops in the USA, I would not need a passport to gain entry into Mexico or gain entry back in Canada providing my plane doesn't touch US soil. Having a passport will make the travel a whole lot easier, but as it's written right now, a passport is only required for travel into the USA (and perhaps other countries too, but not Canada and Mexico right now).

This isn't something that Canada and Mexico has come up with, this was something the US Congress/Homeland Security came up with.

In this day and age, people who elect to travel with out proper documentation (ie. a passport) should give their head a shake. It doesn't cost much and makes your life a whole lot simpler.

Children's passports in Canada are good for 3 years up to the age of 12, then they are good for 5 years. Adult passports in Canada are good for 5 years. There is talk that Cabinet may extend the life of an adult passport to 7 years, but I am not holding my breath.

I will now sit down and await the flames.

[quote name='heelfan94']I'm in North Carolina, Don. I don't remember needing anything when my kids first went to school. But a lot of the teachers also taught me years ago. It's a small, small town. :)[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkOrange]I'm in NC, too, and kids here (in Charlotte) DO need a SS number to enter school. I thought it was a federal requirement.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='jerhardt']Here's something you need to know:

The passports aren't required for travel to Canada and Mexico. They ARE REQUIRED by the US Dept of Homeland Security for ALL travel by AIR INTO the USA as of Jan 23, 2007. This means AIR travel from ANY country, not just Canada and Mexico. It also means that any American Citizen wishing to return home will need a passport to gain entry.

I will now sit down and await the flames.[/quote]

No flames here, herhardt. In fact, I appreciate the update.

I knew the date requiring passports for driving back from Canada and Mexico had been changed, but didn't realise the upcoming date for air travel passport requirements.

There have been rumors that passports may eventually be required for all internal U.S. air travel too.

Face it folks, it's time to get a passport if you want to travel.

[quote name='Momof2kids']No flames here, herhardt. In fact, I appreciate the update.

I knew the date requiring passports for driving back from Canada and Mexico had been changed, but didn't realise the upcoming date for air travel passport requirements.

There have been rumors that passports may eventually be required for all internal U.S. air travel too.

Face it folks, it's time to get a passport if you want to travel.[/quote]

[B][I][COLOR=teal]Get a passport...best and easiest solution....go to the post office..fill out forms with 2 other forms of ID...have your picture taken...give them 90 bucks or so...wait six weeks..passport arives in the mail..good for 10 years...problem solved...:D [/COLOR][/I][/B]

[quote name='Sandyrella']we all have our passports and DH and I both have driver's license with picture but our 16 y/o DS doesn't have his yet. Do you think his health card (with picture) would be sufficient? It is issued by our Provincial government, not Federal. He also has his school ID.

Any thoughts? Never thought we would have to bring extra ID for him....:([/quote]

Let me get this straigt: You all have Passports including your son?
If you do, then you don't need any other ID at all for passage on a ship or air travel to the USA from Canada. I would bring all the Provincial Health Cards in the event that you have a medical issue, but a passport is all that is needed. Trust me on this one.

We decided late to book the 2/3 Dream sailing. Our passports expired 12/06. Even though we didn't have to have new passports, we decided to spring for the expedited service and renew our passports.

We sent in the renewals by priority mail on 12/28, and received them back today (1/8)--an 11-day turnaround.

It sure seemed like a lot of money (Each passport was $67 renewal + $60 expedite fee + $30 photo + $5 postage), but like everyone has said, they're good for ten years. The next time I have to renew, I'll be retired :) .

[quote name='Momof2kids']...There have been rumors that passports may eventually be required for all internal U.S. air travel too.....[/quote]

I really wish people would stop with this sort of rumor. At least this poster called it that, a rumor.

I personally believe it will be a long long time, if ever before this comes to be. The only way it will happen is if we go to a National ID system - Passport or whatever. It is not going to happen just for travel within these United States.

"YOUR PAPERS - NOW!!"

[quote name='Terre'][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorange]I'm in NC, too, and kids here (in Charlotte) DO need a SS number to enter school. I thought it was a federal requirement.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]
Just to clarify, both of my kids have social security numbers. I couldn't find my son's actual card when it was time to get his ID made at the DMV, so they accepted a school transcript in lieu of the card. I still can't find the darn thing. I have to apply for a replacement. Meanwhile I got his passport taken care of in case he needs it in the future. :)

Archived