Upgrade fairy pays an Oosterdam visit

Me2

What a way to start the day, steaming cup of coffee and a quick check on HAL Immigration form to see if the words 'GTY VF' have disappeared. It's 14 days until the cruise, and I've listened to the wise advise on the boards that it usually doesn't happen until 10-14 days out, or maybe not until embarkation. That's ok. (Didn't keep me from checking 3 or 5 times a day anyway for the past couple of weeks. Wishful thinking !). Today was different. There's a cabin number there! Hurray. NOW my trip seems real. I'm bouncing off the walls (and I haven't even finished my first cup of coffee yet). Not only a cabin number (4054), but it appears an upgrade from VF to VD. This is wonderful, for my first HAL cruise. Is anyone familiar with this cabin location - looks like last verandah cabin before lifeboats. Is it a steel or plexiglass balcony? Also, it apears from deck plan to have 2 sides to balcony. Is that true, or is the one side facing the stern(lifeboats) solid steel and unable to see through? Regardless, I'm happy as can be with a real cabin assignment and an upgrade. Hope you all enjoy your day, and future cruises. I can't stop smiling - 14 days and counting. Then nothing better than enjoying my first cup of coffee on deck watching the ocean flow as far as your gaze can wander.

Sue

Congratulations:) that is a nice upgrade. You should really enjoy that cabin. I remember in September waiting to see what cabin we had on the Veendam. I would check at least 3 to 4 times a day:D It showed up after 8 PM at night at abou 2 or 3 weeks prior.

The attached picture is of the Westerdam, but I believe that it is the same as all Vistas in this area. Your cabin appears to me to have plexiglass railing on two sides! :) Nice location! :)

thanks so much for the picture! I'm definitely going to enjoy this.

Sue

Congratulations:) that is a nice upgrade. You should really enjoy that cabin. I remember in September waiting to see what cabin we had on the Veendam. I would check at least 3 to 4 times a day:D It showed up after 8 PM at night at abou 2 or 3 weeks prior.

I did the same thing! I was checking online to see if anyone had balcony pics (before the one above was posted) and saw a few in Rev Neal's albums. He noted some of his cruise were taken by you (3:00 wave maybe?). Wonderful everyone looks out for each other on this board. Nice group of people, definitely.

Sue

• 4 months later...
What a way to start the day, steaming cup of coffee and a quick check on HAL Immigration form to see if the words 'GTY VF' have disappeared. It's 14 days until the cruise, and I've listened to the wise advise on the boards that it usually doesn't happen until 10-14 days out, or maybe not until embarkation. That's ok. (Didn't keep me from checking 3 or 5 times a day anyway for the past couple of weeks. Wishful thinking !). Today was different. There's a cabin number there! Hurray. NOW my trip seems real. I'm bouncing off the walls (and I haven't even finished my first cup of coffee yet). Not only a cabin number (4054), but it appears an upgrade from VF to VD. This is wonderful, for my first HAL cruise. Is anyone familiar with this cabin location - looks like last verandah cabin before lifeboats. Is it a steel or plexiglass balcony? Also, it apears from deck plan to have 2 sides to balcony. Is that true, or is the one side facing the stern(lifeboats) solid steel and unable to see through? Regardless, I'm happy as can be with a real cabin assignment and an upgrade. Hope you all enjoy your day, and future cruises. I can't stop smiling - 14 days and counting. Then nothing better than enjoying my first cup of coffee on deck watching the ocean flow as far as your gaze can wander.

Sue

How did you like your balcony and view from balcony with cabin 4054? We booked this cabin on the Zuiderdam for our 12-15-07 cruise and are wondering if we should change because of the lifeboats. Is this balcony private from 4052 which sticks out past 4054? Also, any noticeable noise from the open deck area below? Thanks so much for any information!!!

How did you like your balcony and view from balcony with cabin 4054? We booked this cabin on the Zuiderdam for our 12-15-07 cruise and are wondering if we should change because of the lifeboats. Is this balcony private from 4052 which sticks out past 4054? Also, any noticeable noise from the open deck area below? Thanks so much for any information!!!

Hi, It turned out to be nice. There is a picture looking in at the balcony attached here. To the left is the life boat, but we didn't often look to the stern. I've enlosed a picture of the life boat view if you look back, too. The view ahead is unobstructed of course. There is a pilot boat (I think) directly underneath. To the right is a large wraparound balcony (I believe it is a handicapped room). Did not hear any noise above or below. I was on in January and spent time on the balcony watching the whales. Amazing creatures! Then it was looking straight out to sea, and the lifeboats were not an issue. If you want a nice private balcony, you may enjoy it.

It was kind of fun to feel like you were hanging out with the lifeboats.

happy cruising,

Sue

Milly, when you booked your cruise did you get a cabin/room number? If so you do not really need to be concerned and really think about upgrades because it so seldom happens. (Unless the ship is not going out full) But if you booked a guarantee of a category and are waiting to be assigned a cabin number that is when most of us are talking about hoping to get an Upgrade.

• 3 months later...

Thanks so much for the information and pictures on 4054 - very, very helpful. I am used to another forum site where you received an email letting you know when a reply was posted. Now I know how this works and that I need to check back. Glad you enjoyed and whale watching must have been awesome!

Congrats on the proverbial fairy visit:) I hope she smiles as sweetly on our Nov cruise. This is the first time I booked a guarantee and the suspense is killing me. The pocket book said solid railing with a glimmer of hope towards plexiglass. But no matter what this is our first verandah and I wasn't really planning on a second cruise this year so in a way the fairy has visited me no matter what.:p Enjoy the "O" She's a beautiful ship. Deb

Archived