Heelies

Grayseaface

I am trying think of place, on a ship, that healies would work. They need a smooth surface to work very well. Smooth surfaces and water don't mix very well on a cruiseship. The only place that might work would be the sports court. My guess is that basketball play would take precedence.

As for a policy from the cruiselines, they probably don't have one yet as these things are fairly new. I believe we went throught the same question a few years back with rollerblades.

PE

One of my kids took them on our last cruise. They definitely work on the top deck. You just need to warn kids not to do it when other people are around. If there's open space ahead, they can roll for a little bit. That's the nice thing about them. You don't always have to glide. :)

We watched a kid wearing them in the Garden Cafe on the Pearl with a plate of food in his hands. His sister came along also wearing a pair and the two collided into a person because the walkway narrowed as they were heading for the Great Outdoors.

If NCL doesn't have a policy they should soon. There was plenty of staff around to witness this. And, of course, the unfortunate crew member who had to clean it up.

We watched a kid wearing them in the Garden Cafe on the Pearl with a plate of food in his hands. His sister came along also wearing a pair and the two collided into a person because the walkway narrowed as they were heading for the Great Outdoors.

If NCL doesn't have a policy they should soon. There was plenty of staff around to witness this. And, of course, the unfortunate crew member who had to clean it up.

I would personally hope that you wouldn't allow your children to even bring these on a ship, unless you want them to experience the thrill of being medivac by a coast guard helicopter, or hurting another passenger and having to deal with litagation. There's a time and place for everything and healies onboard a cruise ship isn't one.

Take care,

Michael

My nephews and neice all have "heelies" (the sneakers with wheels in the heel). Does anyone know if NCL has a policy on these?

I don't know if there is a "policy" but we did see a couple kids (guessing around 12 yrs old) on them in Sept on the Sun.

-Monte

I have to agree with the other posters on this one. The potential for disaster is great with heelies on a cruise ship.

The roll and pitch could cause a fall for the kids as well as anyone near them. Please don't let kids wear them while on board, unless the ship has a specific area where heelies could be safe.

Just my opinion.

Barb

I used to work on cruise ships 6 years i put in...I would suggest STRONGLY that the heelies are left a home they are nothing but a disaster waiting to happen

Leave them at home wear conventional footwear. believ it or not there is a movement afoot to get guests and crew (everything always starts with the crew) to stop wearing flip flops. Oh you laugh now but if you knew the amount of injuries and accident by people wearing them you'd be amazed. anyway i wish all the industry safety and risk managers good luck on that one

NO HEELIES

I am trying think of place' date=' on a ship, that healies would work. They need a smooth surface to work very well. Smooth surfaces and water don't mix very well on a cruiseship. The only place that might work would be the sports court. My guess is that basketball play would take precedence.

As for a policy from the cruiselines, they probably don't have one yet as these things are fairly new. I believe we went throught the same question a few years back with rollerblades.

PE[/quote']

Did the cruise lines ever come up with a policy regarding the rollerblades?

I keep saying I am going to dig out my old roller skates and wear them next time I go to the grocery store. If they say I can't shop in roller skates the I will insist they also ban heelies. :)

I watched a little lad over Christmas skate to and from the ice cream/pizza area with the things. He, no exaggeration, wiped out someone on every trip. Even if the cruise line allows the things, which they shouldn't, I'd hope the parents leave the stupid things at home.... the shoes, not the kids... that's an entirely different topic.

My nephews and neice all have "heelies" (the sneakers with wheels in the heel). Does anyone know if NCL has a policy on these?

I don't know if NCL does, but my policy is leave them home. They will cause for more unpleasantness to your fellow cruisers than any pleasure the kids may get from them.

Did the cruise lines ever come up with a policy regarding the rollerblades?

I keep saying I am going to dig out my old roller skates and wear them next time I go to the grocery store. If they say I can't shop in roller skates the I will insist they also ban heelies. :)

Good idea. These should not be allowed anywhere roller skates/blades and skateboards are not allowed.

please, please don't allow your niece and nephew to bring their "heelies." They're bad enough dealing with on land; I can't imagine the havoc (and potential danger) involved at sea. A cruise ship is not playland and there are thousands of other people sharing a rather confined space. I'm sure your niece and nephew will understand once you tell them the issues.

Enjoy your cruise.

besides the fact that they would scratch the surfaces of polished floors?

i was thinking about how narrow the walkway/passages are on even the big ships. going down the hall to the rooms, it was carpeted..but narrow with metal strips in across in the emergency doors. even up on the top deck, there were very few open areas. most areas had people walking/talking..chair/tables..etc. even the areas where the elevators open..it's not that large. avoid someone stepping out of an elevators, then around someone just standing there talking..you can end up at the bottom of the staircase.

getting my FIL down the hall in his wheelchair, he just barely fit when there were cleaning the rooms or someone was coming the other way.

there just isn't the room for uncontrolled "gliding".

We saw three young boys heelying on the topdeck, trying to be safe away from others. There was a strong wind and two young boys were hurled across the deck at a high speed, unable to control themselves on the heelies. One boy took a nasty gash on his head hitting a metal piece and the other was near blown down the stairs.

Leave the heelies at home! Seriously, can you imagine a worse place for kids to be on these things?

Heelies are a nuisance on land. There's more than one reason why a lot of schools and malls have banned them. Allowing them on a ship with pitch and yaw, with wind across the deck and other people in a closed area is a recipe for an accident.

We won't even let our youngest bring his to Disneyland this April.

The Promenade Deck is the best place for Heelies. You can get up a good speed and the railings are low. Great fun and you won't run into too many people there.

Are roller skates allowed on the promenade deck? I don't think so. Heelies are pretty much roller skates...NOT appropriate. I don't understand these things. Are kids so lazy these days that they have to "roll" everywhere? I just wish public places would see these things for what they are. Annoying, dangerous nuisances that need to be put in the same class as roller skates (and not allowed anywhere roller skates aren't).

Originally Posted by LaJollaCruiser

The Promenade Deck is the best place for Heelies. You can get up a good speed and the railings are low. Great fun and you won't run into too many people there.

You're joking, right? Good speed, low railings?:eek:

Archived