Heelies

Grayseaface

i would like to smack the crap out of the person who invented these.i work in a mall......i have been almost run down by kids with these a dozen times....and once my mom & i were shopping at the big ORANGE home store...aa kid, swear on a stack of cruise brochures, was skating up & down the aisle twirling a 6 Ft piece of PVC pipe too..........the staff member almost threw him out of the store.

Are roller skates allowed on the promenade deck? I don't think so. Heelies are pretty much roller skates...NOT appropriate. I don't understand these things. Are kids so lazy these days that they have to "roll" everywhere? I just wish public places would see these things for what they are. Annoying, dangerous nuisances that need to be put in the same class as roller skates (and not allowed anywhere roller skates aren't).

Trust me: the Promenade Deck is the best place for kids with Heelies to play. The railings here are used for lifeboat access and are not as strong as on other decks.

Trust me: the Promenade Deck is the best place for kids with Heelies to play. The railings here are used for lifeboat access and are not as strong as on other decks.

Gotcha ;) . I had to re-read your original post, I must have missed something the first time I read it. :p

i would like to smack the crap out of the person who invented these.
I'm with you! When they first came out, my daughter wanted a pair badly. I gave her the usual "well see". A week later, we were at the boardwalk and a kid comes 'slidding' along - circling around people and being a general pest. Next thing you know, he loses control, knocks several people over and then falls hard onto the ground - breaking his leg. My daughter turned to me and said "never mind".

Being in the fifth month of a total knee replacement in April when we cruise, let it be known that if a little "heelie" runs into me, there will be a civil law suit against the little "heelie's" parents. The charges will be willful neglect of parental responsiblities of their children and harmful injury with intent.

<hopefully no children on the cruise>

Being in the fifth month of a total knee replacement in April when we cruise, let it be known that if a little "heelie" runs into me, there will be a civil law suit against the little "heelie's" parents. The charges will be willful neglect of parental responsiblities of their children and harmful injury with intent.

I commend you for showing restraint. That is mild compared to what I would think about doing.

Guest BeckyThane
I commend you for showing restraint. That is mild compared to what I would think about doing.

"Clothes-lining" has frequently come to mind when one of these little hooligans nearly misses me. I'm sure if I ever actually get hit, I'll be carrying the kiddo by the scruff of the neck to have a little talk with his/her parents.

Back to the OP, since the general tenor of this thread has been people's negative reactions to heelies, wouldn't you be well advised the tell the niece and nephew to leave them at home? Or, at the least, to only use them in port?

(Although, in reference to an earlier poster who spoke about a skateboarder only using his board in port... speaking as someone who was run into by a similar skateboarder in Tortola last week -- we were the only two other people in a LARGE parking lot -- I'm not sure this is well-advised, either.)

• 3 months later...

Heelies are a nuisance in the corridors and public rooms, and a serious danger on the outdoor areas of the ship.

Everyone's wondering about adults going over the balconies. Why not worry about a teen or sub-teen going over the railing? All it takes is one errant swell lifting the ship - or just simple stupidity on the part of the child.

Teri

The Promenade Deck is the best place for Heelies. You can get up a good speed and the railings are low. Great fun and you won't run into too many people there.

Yeah - and they can all be carrying scissors!:D

Seriously - kids need wheelies so they can go quickly to the bar with their soda card to get their parents/relatives/friends a soda. So many trips, so little time . . .:)

No -- really -- seriously -- the hallways are really the best place for wheelies because when the kids are streaking up and down the halls banging on each door at 2am, they need the wheelies to do so quickly before all the doors open.:eek:

OK - I'm really serious this time -- leave the wheelies at home -- but bring your parenting skills with you!!!!;)

Sea Hound

Hi guys. This isn't a forum to discuss parenting skills. The OP asked a legitimate question but didn't ask how to parent. Please keep your comments on topic. Thanks.

I think they're cool and wish they had been around when I was a kid!

The OP is not the parent and may have no say over what the neice/nephew bring with them. Many kids in the UK have them - they've been here a few years - and I've not witnessed any accidents so they can be worn with contraint and common sense. Maybe that's all it needs is for parents to be requested to allow the kids to use them at the right time.

Also - some kids may not have other trainers (sneakers in the US) so it's either heelies (I didnt know they were called that until now) or wear 'proper' shoes which most kids wouldnt want to do on holiday (vacation)

I saw a thread about these things a while ago, and everyone was down on them....

life could also get interesting if the ship has stabiliser problems!!

like our last cruise..everything flew outta the fridge, people fell outta bed...

I saw a thread about these things a while ago, and everyone was down on them....

life could also get interesting if the ship has stabiliser problems!!

like our last cruise..everything flew outta the fridge, people fell outta bed...

I am sure it was this one. Started in early Jan and dragged out today. :rolleyes:

Heelies,....there's a place and a time.

No, they're not a good idea while you're holding a tray in the buffet line; or when you're in a congested area where someone can get hurt; or when heading to your table in the main restaurant.

But let's be honest, this really isn't about heelies is it? It's about kids in general,...and their bad parents. I get so sick and tired of reading how children, or even just the site of children, is enough to put some people over the edge. I also get miffed when everything is blamed on bad parenting. Yeah, I'm sure it has a lot to do with it,...but what's everyone else's excuse?

Sure, it's inappropriate to wear heelies at certain times and in certain places,....but the same goes for thongs, getting drunk and falling over everyone, being obnoxious to the crew, saving/stealing deck chairs, piling up food at the buffet like you're going to the electric chair, eating in line, putting a cigarette out in an empty glass and sitting it in a corner on deck, plowing into fellow passengers with your massive electric scooter, expecting anyone younger than you to part like the Red Sea as you walk down the hall, I could go on and on,.....but you get the idea.

Kids with Heelies would be just fine if they had a place specifically set aside for them. As to the other dangerous and obnoxious people, I'm afraid there's just too many of them,.....

-Russ

Kids with Heelies would be just fine if they had a place specifically set aside for them. As to the other dangerous and obnoxious people, I'm afraid there's just too many of them,.....

-Russ

The Voyage class ships have skating tracks.

I am sure it was this one. Started in early Jan and dragged out today. :rolleyes:

Sorry. I drug it out. I was ready a really funny thread on the CCL board and did a search for the subject on NCL. I missed out the first time because I was sailing on the Wind! :) Happy to report no heelies were seen on that cruise. :D

Archived