Star Princess goes all the way to Stockholm

Star Princess have finally got the permission to sail through stockholms skærgård (archipelago???), the Star will be berthed at the Stadsgården pier for the first time 24th of may.

I don´t know if it is true but rumors circulating about the Crown Princess replacing the star princess in 2008.

How can I find this out for sure? We originally booked the Star, but changed to the Century because of this. Now the Century is not going to Oslo, which was an important stop for us. Thinking of changing back. Would have to give up Amsterdam. Any thoughts??? Amsterdam or Oslo?? Just thought would never do Oslo again but would do Amsterdam for a long weekend. Now we are really confused. Plus don't know what kind of cabins are left on the Star.

Here are the dates for 2007

24th May Stockholm, Stadsgården 09.00AM- 6.00PM

23rd June Stockholm, Stadsgården 09.00 AM- 6.00PM

13th July Stockholm, Frihamnen 09.00 AM- 6.00PM

29th July Stockholm, Frihamnen 09.00 AM- 6.00PM

22nd August Stockholm, Frihamnen 09.00 AM- 6.00PM

1st September Stockholm, Frihamnen 09.00 AM- 6.00PM

Guess what, "Navigator of the seas" is also in Stockholm this day!

11th September Stockholm, Frihamnen 09.00 AM- 6.00PM

Attn Danish Viking

Did you possibly miss July 3 for the Star Princess to dock in Stockholm? We are on the July 1st sailing out of Copenhagen & when first booked this cruise in Mar '06, showed Nynashamn from 7am-5:30pm; now showing Stockholm from 11am-5pm. This would be wonderful if we are also cruising the archipeligo into Stockholm.

We are anxiously awaiting our 2 day stay in Copenhagen prior to the cruise. Thanks for any info you can give.

Star Princess have finally got the permission to sail through stockholms skærgård (archipelago???), the Star will be berthed at the Stadsgården pier for the first time 24th of may.

I don´t know if it is true but rumors circulating about the Crown Princess replacing the star princess in 2008.

Fantastic news, and kudos to Princess for finally doing this. I always felt sad for the Star passengers that had to waste so much time on a bus/train and missed the archipelago.

Wow, I notice the Constellation is in town the same day, going to be real busy at the Vasa Museum and the Old Town.

Skål

Al

Here are a couple of links to the Stockholm port information which does indeed show the Star Princess to be docking in Stockholm (weather permitting!!)

http://www.portsofstockholm.com click on 'vessel calls' then 'Stockholm', go to the drop down menu and click on 'expected cruise vessels' and view, this gives the calls of all ships to Stockholm according to the Port Authority.

To find out where the docks are go to

http://www.stockholmcruise.com and click 'port information'

Hope this helps. Looking forward to meeting you all on the ship

regards

John L

Here are a couple of links to the Stockholm port information which does indeed show the Star Princess to be docking in Stockholm (weather permitting!!)

http://www.portsofstockholm.com click on 'vessel calls' then 'Stockholm', go to the drop down menu and click on 'expected cruise vessels' and view, this gives the calls of all ships to Stockholm according to the Port Authority.

To find out where the docks are go to

http://www.stockholmcruise.com and click 'port information'

Hope this helps. Looking forward to meeting you all on the ship

regards

John L

We were on the Star last summer. John and his staff are great. To get the most out of your cruise I highly recommend that you purchase his dvd. We watched it many times before we got on the ship and it made our trip that much more enjoyable. As John will tell you in his cruise talks, this is a very port intensive trip. The more info that you have before the trip, the more that you will enjoy the many things that you will be seeing. Sailing right into Stockholm will be really good. It will allow you to spend more time in the city.Unfortunately, we had to waste 2 hours of our day going and coming by bus . To all that are going, have a great trip .

I received a call today from CruisesOnly, from whom I booked my May 22 Baltic Cruise on Star Princess. Customer service rep was calling to let me know that the port of call has changed from Nynashamn to Stockholm -- I must say that not only was I happy with the news, but I was frankly stunned they called to tell me!

However, I then checked the Princess website. Princess indeed shows Stockholm (no more parentheses-Nynashamn) for the May 24 port of call, but the time in port has been shortened to 11am-5pm. The original port call was to be 7:00am-5:30pm. So it's still a net loss of time in port. :(

Other travel websites (I checked Travelocity specifically) don't have this update yet.

In my opinion the trip through the archipelago is part of the Stockholm experience. The ship, especially a larger one like the Star has to cruise a lot slower through the islands for a variety of reasons, but the scenery is worth it.

The Star needed more time in Nynäshamn due to the fact that they had to tender pax from the ship to the dock and then bus them all the way to the city (1 hour+ each way on bus). Chances are even if you got right off the ship in Nynäshamn and made the first train you would not reach the city until maybe 10.

I envy you guys on the Star now - sleeping later, having breakfast on deck while making the sail-in to Stockholm.... yeah baby! :)

Have a great trip.

Al

This is such great news, that we may decide to do this trip again in 2008.

The docking/tendering outside of Stockholm was a nuisance (but not a deal breaker for us) so glad to hear Princess management listened to past cruisers.

Did the cruise in August 2006 and really enjoyed the ship, staff and the ports. Oslo is really a one day stop so for the poster who asked, I would perhaps see if you can do a post cruise stay in Amsterdam. Definitely need more than one day for Amsterdam but Oslo is very doable in one day.

Enjoy this wonderful cruise!

Julia

Still waiting to hear what you mean by "weather permitting"

macaroni

According to Stockholm Ports, severe gales and or winds would prevent any large cruise ship from entering the archipelago as it is very narrow in places, luckily these occurrences seem to be practically non-existent during the cruising season. In this case the ships (from any cruise line) would anchor in Nynashamn.

John L

However, I then checked the Princess website. Princess indeed shows Stockholm (no more parentheses-Nynashamn) for the May 24 port of call, but the time in port has been shortened to 11am-5pm. The original port call was to be 7:00am-5:30pm. So it's still a net loss of time in port. :(

........and a shorter time in Helsinki, now arriving at 10:00am rather than 8:30am!

You can go to Stockholm any time to make up the extra time. But what you are not likely to get any other way is the experience of sailing on a big ship through the archipelago. If I were given the choice between sailing in and sailing out, or having some time in Stockholm, I'd take the sailing any time. Being on a ship is why you're on a cruise, isn't it?

You can go to Stockholm any time to make up the extra time. But what you are not likely to get any other way is the experience of sailing on a big ship through the archipelago. If I were given the choice between sailing in and sailing out, or having some time in Stockholm, I'd take the sailing any time. Being on a ship is why you're on a cruise, isn't it?

.......of course you can have the best of both worlds, as nearly every other cruise line sails the archipelago AND has a full day in the city - Princess seem to be the only one with a shortened day in the city.

.......of course you can have the best of both worlds, as nearly every other cruise line sails the archipelago AND has a full day in the city - Princess seem to be the only one with a shortened day in the city.
But if that had been acceptable, one wouldn't have booked Princess to start off with, would one? ;)

itsjbl....when you talk about watching a dvd several times before your Baltic cruise. what dvd is it?

Many thanks

Patd

Highworth

I have tried to post a reply to you 4 times, but the post has not appeared. It is a dvd by John Lawrence who is the Cruise Director on the Star. His site is http://www.johnlawrencecd.com

I have the dvd by john lawerence.It is an excellent slide show with commentary of the ports. Worth every penny to me.

I am very happy with this change in plans. The getting to town...train ride...tendering was a nuisance but we love the Princess cruiseline! J.

Archived