Regatta 1/2/07-1/12/07--Berries

marienbad

Just got back from our first Oceania cruise on the Regatta, and we have some opinions to share with you.

We had dinner the third night of the cruise in the Grand Dining Room, and my wife (as she has done on Princess, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity not to mention Crystal and Regent) has requested berries for desert, always with a gracious "Of course Madam, our pleasure." She cannot eat melon on the offered fruit plate. After a while, Eva, the head waiter in our section, came over and said "it is against corporate policy to serve berries at dinner." After a laugh, we saw she was serious. I asked who told her that. She said Mr. Martins, the restaurant manager, and Mr. Sagars, the head chef. We realized they meant it, and we were astonished. I saw Nicola Volpe, the general manager, sitting in the dining room, and I asked him. Yes, it is corporate policy not to serve berries for dinner, he confirmed. It turns out that goes for lunch too.

And no cookies for lunch either (only at tea time).

I wrote to Mr. Del Rio the next morning with no response.

Others had quite reasonable special requests (such as shrimp cocktail as an appetizer for dinner) and were turned down. It seems to be a fixed, rigid menu that is take it or leave it.

If that were the only problem with dining, it would be a minimal annoyance, but we found the food quality poor. A veal chop in the Grand Dining room was total fat; lobster in Polo was mushy and had an iodine taste. Remoulade sauce on the salad turned out to be sour cream and chives. Fish had to be sent back because of its iodine taste. At best the food was edible, sort of like Celebrity in the old days.

It was also a boring cruise. Only art auctions and bingo for daytime entertainment (until the last sea day). No dancing music before dinner. No show at all one night.

Was anything good? Yes. The general staff (waiters, room attendants) were great. We loved the non-smoking policy. The library was the best.

The evening shows were better than expected (Black Tie and John Farrentino).

We tendered a lot and they did that well.

But overall, we had a very disappointing cruise. Perhaps it was just this cruise on this ship. We hear the Nautica and Insignia are better.

But with so many other choices, we will not likely sail Oceania again.

A group of Cruise Critic posters (16) just got off the Regatta. We will be posting our comments soon. In general we all agreed that the food and the service was absolutely outstanding. I have never had fish better prepared on any cruise and have been on over 25. Only item I agree with was the below average cruise entertainment but none of us expected any thong spectacular.

And there were some excursion experiences that some people will like to forget forever.

Watch for our posts. I think you will find some great comments re: the cruise.

I was astonished to read this thread. I just returned from the Regatta (same cruise 1/2-1/12).

This was my first Oceania cruise (I have sailed on Celebrity five times, Carnival, Princess, Holland America, Norwegian). It was also the first Oceania cruise for my party of eight.

WE LOVED THIS CRUISE. In fact, my uncle had never been on a cruise before and we told him that it won't get any better than this.

I have no complaints about the food. There was one night that I didn't care for my dinner- surf and turf (both tough). But the gnocchi pesto in Toscana is to die for- best I have ever had anywhere including Italy. I did not eat in the Grand Diningroom. We did Polo Grill, Toscana and Tapas alternately and the food was the best we have had on a cruise. We all agreed on that.

The afternoon tea was fantastic in everyway.

The entertainment was excellent.

This is not a cruise for partiers but I wouldn't have thought that by the literature or reviews. It is a beautiful intimate vessel with no chair hogs by the pool, no photographers, no selling of products in the spa, no annoying announcements, no pressure to buy drinks, no long waits for elevators- great staff, who always greated you with a smile and "how are you today". They seemed to genuinely care.

Beds are very comfy. Ship was immaculate. Smoking is kept to two small areas. Lounge chairs by pool are fantastic. Pool nice size for a small ship. Spa was large for a small vessel. Gym very well equipped and never crowded. The steam room in the spa locker room is free and fantastic. The therapy pool ($18 per day is ok- it is free though if you have a spa treatment) Library was a hidden treasure.

Very low key- kind of like Celebrity but more intimate. I would sail her again if I was traveling without my kids. It isn't a good cruise for kids but the four on board seemed to be enjoying themselves and were very well behaved.

If you like a truly relaxing, unobtrusive cruise- this is for you!

After a while, Eva, the head waiter in our section, came over and said "it is against corporate policy to serve berries at dinner." After a laugh, we saw she was serious. I asked who told her that. She said Mr. Martins, the restaurant manager, and Mr. Sagars, the head chef. We realized they meant it, and we were astonished. I saw Nicola Volpe, the general manager, sitting in the dining room, and I asked him. Yes, it is corporate policy not to serve berries for dinner, he confirmed. It turns out that goes for lunch too.

Something is amiss here!!!

The only desert I ever eat (with the exception of chocolate souffle) is fresh berries and vanilla ice cream. I have requested the souffle on nights that it is not offered and have been turned down for not ordering it 24 hours in advance.

Every single dinner on Regatta, Nautica, and Insignia we both have requested berries and ice cream and have always been accommodated. We have been told on occasion towards the end of a cruise that only blueberries, or stawberries or something is available - but that is understandable. What is odd is that at the breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet there is always a bowl of fresh berries available.

Since the OP had a problem with the food in general and we all know what the quality of the food is like I find this post very odd to say the least. Now we have not been on since June of 2006 - but I seriously doubt they have had a major policy change such as this since then. If so we will be dissapointed indeed come March and August this year.

One thing about the fruit on board. All of us in our group wondered how the fruit was so fresh for ten days. We weren't sure if they pick up food in port but we doubt that they do.

All the fruit was so fresh- I wonder if it is slightly frozen and if that is why they only had berries at breakfast. I didn't see berries at lunch or dinner and never requested them.

My sister ordered a crossaint at midnight on night. They are on the 24 hour room service menu but they must have been out of them or hadn't made more yet- big deal! I doubt she wouldn't cruise again because of something so inconsequencial.

Take my word for it- my group is picky and everyone loved the food. My aunt didn't care for the oatmeal. I didn't like the lobster but the other seven did. But there was such variety and fresh good food to eat- I can't complain.

We certainly hoped to find the kind of food others are raving about. We did not. Let an Oceania executive deny that they have this policy that prohibits berries to be served at dinner.

It is possible that the situation is different on the Insignia and Nautica, but we have given our opinion of this cruise, and we are glad others were happy with it.

We certainly hoped to find the kind of food others are raving about. We did not. Let an Oceania executive deny that they have this policy that prohibits berries to be served at dinner.

It is possible that the situation is different on the Insignia and Nautica, but we have given our opinion of this cruise, and we are glad others were happy with it.

Just returned from the same cruise and find the comments puzzling... Although this was our first Regatta cruise (several on Insignia), I have NEVER been refused any reasonable request on Oceania ships.

One observation was that there were more than the usual compliment of unhappy people on board but attributed that to embarkation port location. (South Florida vs. Europe). My experience has been that if you expect to have a bad time, you will most likely meet your expectations.

Richard

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. That is why this board is here. I just disagree that the food was only edible. That is an understatement. I thought the presentation, selection, quality and taste of the food was superior to any I have encountered on other lines. The desserts were - bar none the best I have had afloat- except for the "Caramel New York Cheesecake"- that one wasn't good. I had rice pudding, chocolate cheesecake, tortes, pasteries, afternoon tea scones, cakes, pies, cookies, etc, etc- all were wonderful!

I miss the food already.

Don't understand (and find it hard to believe) the comment of someone being refusing berries at dinner. That was absolutely not true at tables we were at in the Grand Dining room. My memory can't be that faulty. We saw on more than one evening people having fresh berries after dinner. In fact I remember them being a dessert option on some of the menu's. Would love to hear from other passengers on the 1/2/2007 cruise and Oceania management about this comment.

I thought the presentation, selection, quality and taste of the food was superior to any I have encountered on other lines. The desserts were - bar none the best I have had afloat- except for the "Caramel New York Cheesecake"- that one wasn't good. I had rice pudding, chocolate cheesecake, tortes, pasteries, afternoon tea scones, cakes, pies, cookies, etc, etc- all were wonderful!

I miss the food already.

Rebeccalouise: I am booked on the Nautica in August and have just started a diet in hopes of taking off 25 pounds before then. I would certainly appreciate it if you would refrain from making my mouth water for these delicious desserts that you describe! After reading your post I dont know how I can wait until August for my cruise and I am certainly not going to be able to stay on a diet thinking about those tasty foods!

I don't believe we were being discriminated against by being denied berries. Never saw them listed as a desert choice (though a pastry may have had a blackberry on it).

I can only state what we were told. We did ask for berries once or twice more in the Grand Dining room, only to be told no. One waiter suggested we take extra berries from the breakfast buffet (they were good) and bring them to dinner, but we thought that would be childish.

Let Eva or Mr. Martins or Nicola Volpe or Mr. Del Rio clarify the company policy as to special requests like berries or shrimp cocktail or whatever at dinner. People who choose to sail Oceania have a right to know.

This is not an earthshaking issue, but we thought it odd that corporate policy would be cited as a reason to deny a simple request.

Hi, I'm Frank Del Rio, the Chairman and CEO of Oceania Cruises.

And I'm here to tell you that I have never heard of any policy on any of our ships that prohibits the serving of BERRIES at dinner.

Now, I don't know the specifics of what happened to the OP and her request for berries in the GDR, but I will find out and let everyone know.

My guess is that maybe we ran out of them. We don't carry frozen fruits and vegetables, only fresh. And in some remote places, it's difficult if not impossible to procure certain types of fresh produce that are up to our standards.

But I will find out. Please give me a couple of days.

I am disturbed though about the OP's overall rating of our cusine. It seems odd and unusual and not consistent with our standards, our past ratings and even the ratings of this particular sailing. But everyone is entitled to have their own tastes, likes and dis-likes and opinions. I just wish we could satisfy 100% of everyone's passions 100% of the time.

We'll keep trying.

All the best

FDR

Rebeccalouise: I am booked on the Nautica in August and have just started a diet in hopes of taking off 25 pounds before then. I would certainly appreciate it if you would refrain from making my mouth water for these delicious desserts that you describe! After reading your post I dont know how I can wait until August for my cruise and I am certainly not going to be able to stay on a diet thinking about those tasty foods!

I got a kick out of your comments! I have no will power and ate at least two desserts everyday. We consistently ate afternoon tea. So I have packed on a few pounds. Am determined to lose 25 pounds by July (my next cruise). Good luck to both of us!

The fruit was very fine on our Oceania cruise to the Baltics last summer. The food was berry, berry good.

If they say they don't have assorted berries at dinner, then let the berry cravers just eat cake or have the no-calorie ice cream.

Berry sorry you let this interfere with your enjoyment of the cruise. On our part, we were not able to find the famed escargot (we missed it one night), but we have managed to get over it and schedule another cruise notwithstanding.

Let us hope for utter perfection next time -- a goal that alas I fear is unattainable in life.

My best wishes,

Marie A.

I wonder if Mr. Del Rio got my e-mail after the incident. I appreciate his looking into this minor matter. He should speak with Eva, our head waiter; Mr. Martins, the restaurant manager who said they never do special orders in the restaurant, and Mr. Volpe who seemed disinterested.

REALITY is that for the mot part O does a great job for those of us who appreciate all the many things they do better than most others.

We managed to get berries whenever we wanted them on 20 days in the Med. in May.

Maybe it's all in how one asks!!:rolleyes:

What's wrong with me? I've never requesting something that wasn't on the menu. It wouldn't occur to me. Last Oceania cruise I traveled with my aunt. I loved EVERYTHING and she found something to pick at about EVERYTHING. She booked her next cruise on Regent and raved about it. I booked my next cruise on Oceania and can't wait. Different strokes, I guess.

What Orchestrapal said about the situation in the Mediteranean was what we had heard from passengers on this cruise. That raises the question whether the policy has changed. Hopefully Mr. Del Rio will answer that.

I agree with Jancruz that the rigid Oceania attitude to a reasonable request from a guest reminds one of Bogart in The Caine Mutiny.

Marianbad, Could you please post a list of your favorite restaurants? If the food on the Regatta did not meet your expectations your restaurant reviews must include some of the great eating opportunities here in the US.

Archived