Almost Line from the Grand

karen2cruz

Hi All,

After a delayed start to the trip due to snowstorm in Mountain West area (Utah/Colorado) we are in Galveston. It was foggy here early am, so the Grand Princess and Carnival Ecstasy were couple hours late getting into port. People are just starting to disembark at 9:20 am. The hotel is so close we could hear/watch the disembakation instructions from the Carnival ship while hanging out on the rooftop terrace of the hotel. So, we'll hang out here at the Tremont House until 1 pm and board.

We'll try to answer any questions about the Grand if you post them here. Hubby brought his laptop, so I can read the questions, answer offline and then post them. Gonna be checking in on the kids, animals and babysitter everyday anyway. I'm not going to be more than 10 minutes on the internet per day, planning on enjoying ourselves way too much elsewhere.:D We're "cup half full" kind of people, so if you're looking for complaints here , it probably wont happen

The Tremont House does provide a coutesy shuttle to the port from 12-2 pm, going every 1/2 hour. Although it and the Harbor House are definitely within walking distance to the port terminals, wouldnt want to haul the luggage down the sidewalks.

Looking forward to the warm temps of the caribbean considering it's 3 degrees in Salt Lake City right now!

Hubby is heading over to the Tall ship in the port while I hang out in the shops on the Strand now.

Later!:cool:

The weather is supposed to be bad mid-week next week, with possible freezing rain. Not a good combo for Gulf Coast of Texas, we're not used to driving in that stuff. The weather should be warmer when you get back next Saturday. Have a great cruise!

My only advice is limit your internet activity and enjoy getting away from the the modern world for awhile. Post the emergency numbers and email address of the ship and have the baby sitter call you if there are problems. Your kids will be fine, enjoy YOUR time!

Hi! Can't wait to hear about your trip, we're (DH + another couple) taking the same one the second week in Feb and are anxiously awaiting it!

If you have a chance, could you let me know what nights are formal? I'm assuming the first day at Sea and then is it Cozumel or Belize?

Thank you much!!!

Hi! Can't wait to hear about your trip, we're (DH + another couple) taking the same one the second week in Feb and are anxiously awaiting it!

If you have a chance, could you let me know what nights are formal? I'm assuming the first day at Sea and then is it Cozumel or Belize?

Thank you much!!!

It was Belize on our December 16th Grand Princess cruise.

We are doing this cruise spring break with our kids. I would love to have some info on your return on things I have not been able to determine so far.

Since your husband is taking his laptop, I am curious if the wireless only works in the stated areas, or if he will be able to pick up signals elsewhere. We were on another ship a couple of years ago (HAL Statendam) and were able to pick up the signal in our stateroom despite the fact that we were only supposed to get it in certain places.

Also, we are planning on doing Sabatini's one night, but wanted to choose a night that has something fun planned for our 11 and 16 y.o. kids. We would love to see what the patters are like for the kids.

Thanks for any and all info!

I have a grand question that I never figured out while we were on the ship...we were on the Caribe deck with a great balcony that appeared to be significantly larger than those on the decks above and below us...my question...were the saterooms on those decks larger than ours...if not is it the shape of the hull that allowed our larger balconies...they were great!

How is the bedding on your deck and what cabin category are you in? We are on the aloha deck in a "BB" and hope the mattresses are tolerable. Have you tried the pizza on the Lido deck and how would you describe it (DH and kids are great pizza lovers!). Hope you are having a good time.

Hi All,

Thanks JoeTx for the advice. I am inbetween dance classes taking a rest :)

Considering the ship arrived late, we got to the terminal at 12:30 and were on by 12:45-great. Went very smoothly. Hope disebarkation goes as smoothly.

Last nights dinner was prime rib and some fish dishes. Love Boat Dream available every night.First formal night is tonight and Captains Party.

We had a great cruisecritic meeting and everyone was so nice. I let them know about this thread so they might be posting here also to answer your questions. Some of us played trivia together and went to line dancing class together. Planning another meeting at the next sea day to compare notes.

One couple brought their 8 year old but no other children. Stopped by the kids/teens area was very impressed. Also they have a hot tub for the teens separate from the rest of the pools/hot tubs -cool.

The thing that was impressive for me was they try to plan activities for the 18-25 year old young adult group. First cruiseline out of 5 that seemed to care about the college age kids. Will let my two college kids know about it.

We are in a mini suite and the bedding is adequate. surprisingly, one mattress seemed new and one did not. We had an eggcrate mattress put on and were fine. Definitely like the bedding, although there was no pillow menu. Robes werent there when arriving but asked and got two.

Staff and crew are friendly and the ship is clean and tidy if not a little worn in some areas, like the furniture in Skywalkers, but still a wonderful ship. We havent had any attitude having our soda cards from any of the staff.

Havent had the pizza yet, but it is on my list of things to try.

Gotta go-next dance class coming up.

Keep asking!

Karen

I am anxious to hear about your experience. I am accompanying my mother and as a first time cruiser have many questionsand would appreciate any tips. Hoping that you have wonderful weather and an amazing time.

Pickland - come join our roll call for Feb 17 (see link below). We have a bunch of teachers, but all are welcome!:D My DH (husband) and I are only second-time cruisers, so can't offer you many tips, but we are looking forward to this one!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=373444

Karen - would you check to see if there is still a basketball court up at the sport court. I had read some conflicting info - someone said it had been removed and is now just a tennis court. My guys both play and would be disappointed if it were removed. Thank you so much! I hope you have a great cruise! Enjoy those dance lessons!

Karen - would you check to see if there is still a basketball court up at the sport court. I had read some conflicting info - someone said it had been removed and is now just a tennis court. My guys both play and would be disappointed if it were removed. Thank you so much! I hope you have a great cruise! Enjoy those dance lessons!

Just paddle tennis in activity court.

I have a grand question that I never figured out while we were on the ship...we were on the Caribe deck with a great balcony that appeared to be significantly larger than those on the decks above and below us...my question...were the saterooms on those decks larger than ours...if not is it the shape of the hull that allowed our larger balconies...they were great!

I believe the cabins are the same size unless they are mini's and just the balconies are bigger.

JWMCQ -as Shoalwater said - there is no basketball court- just paddleball or tennis there now.

DEEC- balcony cabns all approx same size -some variation depending on if handicapped room or not, balconies bigger in aft. Mini suites obviously bigger cabins. Bigest balconies on caribe besides aft.

Pillows- 4, but you can ask for more.

Movies- been too busy dancing and going to shows , but I'll look in patters and let you know later.

Later!

Hope that you are having great weather and enjoying your cruise. Could you please tell us how many pillows are in your cabin and what the temperature is like in the cabin.

There are 2 pillows per bed but you can request more from your steward (or look under the bed because there might be some extras wrapped there)

the temperature is up to you, each cabin has a thermostat for individual control. I had an interior and kept it warm in the day and turned it down at night.

Hello- we are sailing on the Grand in December. I was wondering if you could give me some information on the Kids Zone. My son will be 2 1/2 and won't be staying in the Kids Zone for the program, but I was wondering what the splash pool and outdoor play area is like. Can you access it from the main deck (i.e. from a public area), or do you have to go through the kids zone to get to it.

Thank you and have a great time on your cruise!

Archived