Amalfi Guide/ Isle of Capri

tropicalkerry2002

O's Amalfi drive tour was beautiful and not too long. It's an afternoon tour due to the parts of the drive that are one way.

The most beautiful tour from Amalfi is the one to Revello. Not to be missed.

As for Capri, folks we talked to said the O tour was way to long. You can go by ferries which leave and return often so that you do not have to spend 8 or 9 hours wondering what to do.

Have a great cruise.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure where you are docking/tendering but if it at tender in Sorrento (where sister and I were in 5/06) it was dead easy to walk off tender dock straight to ferry ticket office to buy tickets to Capri. You can do as much or as little as you like once on Capri - ferries run frequently all day. Amalfi/Positano is easy to get to by taxi - the cab stand is right next to the ferry ticket area. Four of us took a nice, new minivan to top of town and our driver came back 2 or 3 hours later to collect us. Think we paid 70 euros, total. We don't do ships shore excursions as we are practiced at making own arrangments. If you want to do it yourself and you are going to have to tender ashore, be sure to go to shore excursion desk and insist on being able to go ashore early or you will be stuck for a protracted period of time behind pax taking the excursions. We had to make a real stink about this with the hotel manager but it paid off.

Not sure where you are docking/tendering but if it at tender in Sorrento (where sister and I were in 5/06) it was dead easy to walk off tender dock straight to ferry ticket office to buy tickets to Capri. You can do as much or as little as you like once on Capri - ferries run frequently all day. Amalfi/Positano is easy to get to by taxi - the cab stand is right next to the ferry ticket area. Four of us took a nice, new minivan to top of town and our driver came back 2 or 3 hours later to collect us. Think we paid 70 euros, total. We don't do ships shore excursions as we are practiced at making own arrangments. If you want to do it yourself and you are going to have to tender ashore, be sure to go to shore excursion desk and insist on being able to go ashore early or you will be stuck for a protracted period of time behind pax taking the excursions. We had to make a real stink about this with the hotel manager but it paid off. We realize not everyone can be on the first tender but independent travellers should have the ability to enjoy time ashore equally.

Thanks for your help everyone...we have decided to do Capri on our own.

Are the ship's excursions passengers ALWAYS the first off? This doesn't seem fair, it should be first come first served. I have booked 5 private excursions for my cruise...and certainly want as much time in port as possible. This is my first cruise...I have NO idea how long it might take to get passengers off the ship at port, and I know it depends how many, how far to tender to shore(?right phrasing), but can anyone give me an idea what the longest time it my take to get to port, if I have to wait for the Oceania passengers to go first?

Thanks, Marian

Thanks for your help everyone...we have decided to do Capri on our own.

Are the ship's excursions passengers ALWAYS the first off? This doesn't seem fair, it should be first come first served. I have booked 5 private excursions for my cruise...and certainly want as much time in port as possible. This is my first cruise...I have NO idea how long it might take to get passengers off the ship at port, and I know it depends how many, how far to tender to shore(?right phrasing), but can anyone give me an idea what the longest time it my take to get to port, if I have to wait for the Oceania passengers to go first?

Thanks, Marian

Glad to hear you have decided to do Capri on your own. That's totally doable My husband and I did it october 05 and had a thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable day.

For Amalfi Coast I suggest www.limoinrome.com Claudio or Carlo for the day. In a private car/van you can tour the coastline, enjoy a fabulous lunch at an out-of-the-way non-touristy restaurant right on the water :) and/or go to Pompeii for 1/2 day. All with the knowledge of a local. Also shop for Lemoncello liquor where it is produced in the Sorrento/Positano area and beautiful pottery in vibrant colors.

Limoinrome also operates fabulous tours in Florence and Rome and can arrange private tours of the Vatican. Done them all! Enjoy your trip.

The ship uses tenders in Sorrento ..and yes the ship lets their own tours off first.

Expect to be able to get to shore by 9am there to start your tour.:D

Have used Drive Amalfi and Marcello in Sorrento both of them are excelent companies.

Also have used Claudio driverin Rome many times...

For Capri it is an easy on your own..you don't need a tour (esp. from the ship) to go there.

Have fun!

In November 2006, we tendered in Sorrento, Amalfi and Taormina on Regatta. Yes, general independent departures from the ship were after all the ship's tour groups had departed, BUT, each tender with tour groups also had seats allocated for independents. We went to the lounge when we were ready to leave the ship and got a tender ticket. We had no problem leaving the ship with one of the early tenders.

Again, it was our experience that if you wanted to get off the ship early enough to maximize your time in any given port, you had to make a stink. The shore excursion people and the concierge were useless. And, that is being kind. There were no tickets in the Nautica's lounge for independent travellers to use to take early tenders. I am sure the excursions are timed to get people back to the ship in time for lunch but it is still very, very irksome. Be persistent and you will be fine.

Archived