forgotten ports

sea-u-later

It seems like the most visited ports are Barbados, Cozumel and the Caymans. What ports in the last ten years have disapeared from the cruise lines? I remember Acupoco used to be a popular spot but cant find it on any of the cruise lines.

A few of the Mexican Riviera cruises still call at Alcapulo, but not many.

St. Croix used to be a popular Caribbean port. My understanding is there were too many reports of tourists being accosted, so the cruiselines dropped it.

Cancun seems to be disappearing as well. Its an all-tender port, and ships were missing it a lot, due to high winds.

This website: http://www.noblewhite.co.uk/cruiseweb/Ports_CL.asp?client=choosing shows every port and a listing of all cruises calling there.

Regarding previous posts on this thread, Acapulco is still very popular. Almost all lines have cruises stopping there.

Guadeloupe seems to have quieted down, but HAL, Costa, RCCL, and others are still there regularly.

There are, however, some ports that really have been forgotten.

• St. Croix once was a very popular stop with all lines. This year, only Seabourn will visit St. Croix, and only 7 times. RCCL came up with a story that it stopped St. Croix due to rising crime, but it is more likely due to rising port charges.

• Haiti too was a popular country, but since the civil strife starting in the 1980's, Haiti has been abandoned (exception being Labadee, a private enclave owned by RCCL). Until the late 80's, cruises regularly stopped at Port-au-Prince and Cap Haitien.

• Pueto Plata (Dominican Republic) was also a hugely popular port until the mid 90's. This year, there are no scheduled calls. It's a really boring place anyways, so we aren't missing much.

• Port of Spain (Trinidad) also has far fewer calls than in the past. Between P&O and Fred Olson, there will be only 5 calls there this year.

• The once popular La Guaira, Venezuela (gateway to Caracas and Angel Falls) has fallen victim to strained US-Venezuela relations. Princess is scheduled to make a handful of stops this year (probably attracted by dirt cheap fuel prices there), but I've heard the port is routinely substitued at the last minute.

One port that has regained popularity is Cartagena, Columbia. After security scares about 7 years ago, the port was almost abandoned, but today it is as popular as ever, with Celebrity, Princess, RCCL, and others making regular calls.

St Crux comes to mind right away as well as Puerta Plata. Cancun isn't as popular as it used to be, nor is Nassau. Someone mentioned Acapulco is still visited by NCL as well as a very other lines. Someone mentioned Trinadad, I have been an agent for 8 years and don't really remember it as a popular port: I wish is was, maybe years ago it was used more. those are the only ones that come to mind. NMNita

Some of RCCL's ships, mainly the Radiance class ships, make occasional stops at St. Croix for fuel. I think the Serenade makes a stop every 3 to 4 weeks. It is not listed on the itineraries though. It's just a surprise stop when you get onboard the ship.

Some of RCCL's ships, mainly the Radiance class ships, make occasional stops at St. Croix for fuel. I think the Serenade makes a stop every 3 to 4 weeks. It is not listed on the itineraries though. It's just a surprise stop when you get onboard the ship.

Curt and the gang were looking for you!!!!

Archived