Concern about flight time

lucia1024

Hi

I am trying to schedule my plane tickets to return from Seattle to FL. One of the best flights leaves at 11:45am. Do you think I will be cutting it too close if my ship docks at 7:00am? I will be on the NCL Pearl.

How far is the docks from the airport? Is it hard to get a cab from the port? I can image that there are hundreds of people trying to do the same thing.

Any experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

we stayed in the seattle area, after getting off the ship. but it was after 9am before we saw anyone getting off the ship. 30 mins to the airport from there. lines were long waiting for the taxi. we got off about 10:30.

This is something I always question. Given the recent Dream troubles, I'm even more concerned about my flight time coming home. A pre-noon flight would concern me because of the possibility of the ship docking later than scheduled. This past weekend in Houston passengers didn't leave the ship until around 2:00. Of course that's an extreme example. Good luck with your planning and have a great cruise. :)

Hi

I am trying to schedule my plane tickets to return from Seattle to FL. One of the best flights leaves at 11:45am. Do you think I will be cutting it too close if my ship docks at 7:00am? I will be on the NCL Pearl.

How far is the docks from the airport? Is it hard to get a cab from the port? I can image that there are hundreds of people trying to do the same thing.

Any experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

A 11:45 flight would be too close for me especially after having a relaxing vacation and then to be alarmed about rushing off of the ship, getting a cab etc. etc. There can be so many variables on debarkation so be careful.

A 11:45 flight would be too close for me especially after having a relaxing vacation and then to be alarmed about rushing off of the ship, getting a cab etc. etc.

I would not be having a relaxing vacation as I would be nervous the whole cruise about missing my flight home. I kind of neurotic about things like that.

When I did a cruise out of Seattle, I booked a red-eye home and we spent the day in Seattle. I had never been there before, and we really enjoyed it.

Remember also, that if you get to the airport along with several hundred (up to a couple thousand) other people, checkin and getting through security can be slower as well.

And thinking, "If I'm first off the ship I can avoid that problem" might not work if a ship got in at the other pier prior to your ship arriving.

-Monte

As other said you can't control if the ship has problems or you can't disembark until late. Having said that, my son and I had a 12:30 PM flight last year on the Star and we chose to do early disembark and we ended up getting to the airport by 8:45. The airport didn't start getting busy until around 10:00 last year.

My wife and I are going to do the same flight this year on the Pearl. I am willing to take the chance so I can get on a non stop flight home.

I am not recommending this for you, just saying it worked for me once and with some luck it will work again and if it doesn't it will not stress me out. I will just look for the next flight home, which happens to be late that night.

Airport Check-in. Seattle doesn't have the fastest checkin for going thru the security areas. Most all of the flights use the same security lines and then go out to your gates. Depending on the flights going out. Seattle recommends that you be at the airport 2 hours early. Now I travel very early in the mornings out of Seattle and it isn't too bad. Some of the gates out of the airport you have to take an underground tram which runs every 5 minutes or so. That can take up to 15 minutes from security just to get to your gate. I would recommend a later flight. If you can arrange for a rented Limo that Seattle offers to meet you at the ship, you might make your flights. But not for the taxis and having to wait in line.

I wouldn't book any flights out of Seattle before 1 PM. Seattle is a wonderful city, after our Alaskan cruise, we didn't leave until the next day, spending a night. We did the NCL tour thing, and afterwards rode a ferry to Bainbridge Island and back. Spending a night in a hotel overlooking Pudget Sound and its wonderful view topped off my cruise.

We were on the Star in 2005. (same itinerary as the Pearl this summer.)

We had a 1:30 p.m. flight and made it to the gate at about 1:10 p.m.

SeaTac is very crowded on those mornings since three or more ships will all be disembarking at the same time. We waited in line for 15-20 minutes before we could even pull up to the curb to unload. Then the line at the Delta counter was another 45-60 minutes and then the line to get through the security checkpoint was over 30 minutes.

We were in the fourth group off the ship. (following Express Disembarkers, those going on NCL Sponsored tours and the first color group. We were the second color group). We were off the ship by 9:15-9:30 and our bus (we were part of a TA tour group) picked us up about 5 minutes after we stepped out of the terminal.

Hope this helps.

Some excellent and specific answers here, and helpful suggestions.

Speaking just for myself, the stress of worrying about making a flight with such a tight connection would all but ruin the cruise for me. I know, because I did it in Italy and it was totally nerve wracking. Never again.

Archived