Sugar free foods

Snowrose

Sorry, can't help on the original question, but I do want to point out that the "juice" in all the machines in the buffet is "fruit juice cocktail," high fructose corn syrup added.

Yes, I noticed that in your other posts, CPT, and will avoid the juice cocktail with much thanks. The last thing I need is the sugar-shakes first thing in the morning!

Thank you!

Teri

Does anyone know what NCL uses as a sweetener for its sugar-free foods? Does it vary with the food? And are sugar-free foods only available at dinner, as dessert?

TIA!

Teri

Teri,

This is one of the mysteries of the universe. I've sailed the Dawn, Spirit and Sun, and there never was a lack of sugar free offerings. While I'm not diabetic, I essentially eat a diabetic, low carb diet, and have never had any problems finding things to eat.

As for the specific sweetner, best of luck. You can ask. Sometimes, I've gotten answers. Most of the time, I have not.

Best of luck.

Tom

I am diabetic, so I have some experience with sugar-free stuff. I would definitely ask the cruiseline before you try them.... if they are purchased from a bakery pre-made, like the pies and cakes, they may be made with maltitol, sorbitol, isotol, yuck-itol!

If they are made with anything ending in "itol" I avoid it completely. I personally think its better to eat a small portioned dessert made with real ingredients and real sugar than a sugar-free chemistry experiment :eek:

Besides, most of the time, sugar-free products are high in fat and calories.

I will do some searching around myself, see if there's someone at NCL that can help with it -- I'll let you know what I find out.

We make arrangements the first day with the Maitre'D to have sugar free items available for all 3 meals on every cruise we take as well as having our travel agent make them as well. Sugar free ice cream is always available and usually the buffets have something. Not a great variety. When your travel agent makes the arrangements, have him make it clear that you expect sugar free items for all 3 meals.

I personally think its better to eat a small portioned dessert made with real ingredients and real sugar than a sugar-free chemistry experiment :eek:

Besides, most of the time, sugar-free products are high in fat and calories.

I would tend to agree with you here. The "sugar-free" stuff is usually high in fat and calories. When I am on a cruise, I usually indulge a bit more that I should - I'm diabetic too. I however then head to the Promenade deck for about 4 laps afterwards to even out my "indulgence". I however, understand that there are some diabetics that can't do this (for obvious reasons) in which case just tread lightly on what you eat in the sugar free area and you should be ok.

I noticed on the Sun and Star that they had "Sweet 'n Low", "Splenda" and "Equal" available in the Garden Cafe.

I too am diabetic so I have to watch all carbs and I have learned that sugar free items are often still high in carbohydrates. So depending on the reason you want sugar free you may be careful.

A couple of examples I have found:

Hershey's sugar free candies have about the same carbs as regular Hershey's (I don't know the count off the top of my head)

Hot chocolate: Sugar free has 10g carbs, while fat free has only 4-5g carbs. So I get the fat free instead.

(also, a 2" x 2" unfrosted piece of cake is only one carb group) :D

Sorry, can't help on the original question, but I do want to point out that the "juice" in all the machines in the buffet is "fruit juice cocktail," high fructose corn syrup added.

I'm so glad I came upon this thread, or I would have spent a week trying to work out what what was affecting my sugar levels!:)

When I was on a Celebrity cruise 18 months ago, I was ordering 2 glasses of diet tonic water every evening, to be told on my last night by a helpful waiter that they didn't serve diet tonic water on that ship!:eek:

Archived