Edinburg Castle

crewsin250

How far is the Castle from where the ship docks in Edinburgh and what is the best way to get there from ship and a estimate on cost for this trip.

Thanks Paul

We took a train from the port (Queensferry) to downtown Edinburgh.......it was not expensive, but I can not remember the cost. Many from the ship did this.........it is quite a walk from the port to the train station......up hill.......down hill coming back. The train comes from the north and the station is at the south end of the Fourth Bridge. Google Earth indicates it is about 10 to 12 miles from Queensferry to Edinburgh.

How far is the Castle from where the ship docks in Edinburgh and what is the best way to get there from ship and a estimate on cost for this trip. Thanks Paul

For the train into Edinburgh, I think as I remember it was around 6 pounds apeice each way. You catch it at the Dalmeny station. It is quite a hike from the port up to the train station.... but it gets you right downtown quickly and you are only a couple of blocks off the Royal Mile.

How far is the Castle from where the ship docks in Edinburgh and what is the best way to get there from ship and a estimate on cost for this trip.

Thanks Paul

If you arrive (drop anchor) at South Queensferry then yes, travel by train from Dalmeny to Edinburgh Waverley. The cost (off peak - some time restrictions) is approx. 4.50 pounds.

Some ships also use Leith or Rosyth as their port. Do you know where you will be docked/at anchor?

Edinburgh is not a particularly large city but transport to the centre will be different from these differing locations.

Calmac asked it all.

Theres 3 possible locations for docking depending on the size of the ship.

Leith is a suburb of Edinburgh and close to the city centre.

Check your itinerary for the information then add it to this thread and you will then get more info.

I have looked on Celebrities web site and others but it does not mention which port we will be at, all I know is we will be tendering in to land at 7:00 am on May 19, 2007.

Maybe from past Celebrity visits to Edinburgh you can help me.

Thanks

Paul

I have looked on Celebrities web site and others but it does not mention which port we will be at, all I know is we will be tendering in to land at 7:00 am on May 19, 2007.

Maybe from past Celebrity visits to Edinburgh you can help me.

Thanks

Paul

I've just looked at cruisecal.com and, if it's correct, you'll be arriving at Greenock which is listed as Glasgow / Edinburgh but which is much closer to Glasgow (west coast of Scotland). The times listed are 7am to 5pm. If you can confirm this we'll try to help but you may have to rethink your day in Scotland.

Calmac the time you have is correct we will be in port from 7AM till 5PM. Why do you say I may need to rethink my plans in Scotland. We will also be stopping in Inverness/Lochness and Kirkwall Scotland, but we had planned on the Edinburgh Castle and Royal Mile to be our self tour in Edinburgh.

Thank You So Much For Your Help

Paul

Paul,

I saw this post from you last night and did some research on Celebrities site this morning. All of the "Celebrity shore excursions" for the day we are in port reference South Queensferry as where we will be docked. Now the question is what is the easiest way to get to Edinburgh from there?

Mark

Have you browsed the UK board? It doesnt move as fast as the Europe board so its easier to browse precious posts and replies. Here a link to just one of the previous posts.

Transportation ? South Queens Ferry to Edinburgh

It might be an idea to use SEARCH (you need to be logged in to SEARCH) eg for EDINBURGH and/or S. Queensferry for other posts. Reading them should give you lots of ideas and info on what you might want to do with your day.

I've been trying to post this since Saturday when CC started to have all the problems - sorry for the delay.

Calmac the time you have is correct we will be in port from 7AM till 5PM. Why do you say I may need to rethink my plans in Scotland. We will also be stopping in Inverness/Lochness and Kirkwall Scotland, but we had planned on the Edinburgh Castle and Royal Mile to be our self tour in Edinburgh.

Thank You So Much For Your Help

Paul

My comment about rethinking your Scotland plans only related to your trip to Edinburgh, if indeed you were going to be docked at Greenock. If retreiverdad is correct and you will be docked in South Queensferry then you will be close to Edinburgh and no need to re-plan. I would do as edinburgher suggests and look over at the Britain board - we've both posted information there on travel to Edinburgh city centre from South Queensferry, as have others. Happy to help out with any other questions.

Hope you enjoy your visit to Scotland - May is usually a good month weatherwise.

Thanks Calmac for info we have just found out that cruisecal had our port info wrong in Amsterdam so maybe this is the case for Edinburgh also. I am sure I will have more ? so thanks in advance for yours and everyone else help on these boards.

Paul

Archived