Transportation ? South Queens Ferry to Edinburgh

I guess it would depend on what the weather is like and how fit you are. It is probably about a mile BUT it is a mile uphill. I haven't been over in South Queensferry when a cruise ship is "in" so I don't know how easy it is to just find a taxi.

We did this last year. The walk uphill to the station is quite tough. Rough ground and fairly steep in places. Unfortunately some cruisers had a problem getting taxi drivers to take them to the station as they only wanted to accept fares all the way to Edinburgh. I believe there is a bus in Queenferry but the info was hard to come by. We had a great day, though. Used the hop-on/hop-off bus and had a relatively inexpensive day.

Cinnamon

We made the mistake of trying to walk to the train - it was uphill, lots of steps, and an uneven path..we walked back to the pier then saw a bus stop, which took us right to Edinburgh - I forget the fare but it was a reasonable amount - once you know the bus number it is easy coming back from the town center..

The walk up from Hawes Pier to Dalmeny station is not for the feint hearted.

Last year I was unfortunate enough to be on the train going into Edinburgh one of the days Golden Princess was in. It was awful everybody was crammed in like sardines. In fact the ticket collector had to put people off as the doors wouldn't close.

There is usually buses at the pier to take you into Edinburgh, that would be the easiest options or a taxi, think the fare would be around £20.00 mark not bad if there are 4 of you sharing.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone clarify the current situation regarding the availability of busses from the pier to central Edinburgh.

A post from a previous year mentioned a city bus route to and from the pier to downtown.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

We would like to know about the available transportation from the port in S. Queensferry into Edinburgh and back. Were there a lot of buses and taxis available both going to Edinburgh and coming back to the ship?

Thanks.

You will see by my name that I live locally, so took a few minutes out to make enquiries on your behalf.

Heres a link which might help. And there is a "contact us" button to click so that you can ask your travel questions by email.

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/scotland/sescot/timetables/timetable.php?day=1&source_id=2&service=43/X4/X43&routeid=664515

http://www.information-britain.co.uk/showPlace.cfm?Place_ID=46815 Cost quoted from the pier to Edinburgh (Shandwick Place/West End, this is at one end of Princes St) was £17 for a 6 passenger (plus driver) vehicle, and £15 for a 4 passenger (plus driver) vehicle. Prices were fixed, not metered. These vehicles are more like privately owned cars/estates etc. Its preferable to prebook, and at the same time they can arrange a pick up in Edinburgh for the return trip. Time and pick up point for the return can be arranged directly with them.

There are more companies here. They may have websites, try a search using this link as a starting point.

http://britinfo.net/taxis/TCWSP28050.htm

I also called the 3 main local taxi cab companies to get approx quotes one way from Edinburgh to S. Queensferry. These are different cabs, black, like London ones, and they are metered. This means the price rises until you reach your destination. Here, the meter runs both while you are moving and also when stationary. The busier and longer the journey, the more it costs. All 3 quoted a VERY approx price of somewhere between £19 and £24 but could easily be higher for the reasons explained above.

All of the above is CURRENT prices. If travelling in 07 expect them to be higher.

Hope this helps you decide what to do.

Archived