Transatlantic- Will we see ships?

Jemima

On a Florida to Med cruise will we see any ships or will it just be ocean all the way from Florida to the Azores? We've done a northern transatlantic to Greenland, Iceland, Scotland etc., but this one is further from land.

Yes, you are likely to see other ships. We were going from HI to LA and in the middle of the Pacific, a freighter passed right behind our ship, close enough to go through our wake. Really odd. It probably was a mile away but looked closer. Here we were in the middle of nowhere and the ship was that close. On my transatlantic, we also saw other ships.

You may see a ship but don't count too much on close passes. The other thing is that you may pass other ships at night but unless it's another cruise ship, you may not even notice. Very few freighters have many lights topside and warships have no lights except navagation lights. I've done about 10 crossings and really if you want to relax on a vacation, that's the way to go. :D

We were on the Noordam in October for her westbound trans-Atlantic crossing from the Azores to Bermuda. We had 4 straight sea days, IIRC, and I only observed a half-dozen other ships, all container ships, but I was not "on watch" very often, either. :o

Probably the busiest locations for ship traffic that I have seen are the North Sea and the English Channel.

Archived