Live from Prinsendam Grand SA

arzz

dutchcruise -- we really appreciate your comments. We had such a superior time on this itinerary we are eager to do anything that we can to help others to discover the same pleasures that we enjoyed.

Enjoy your trip and do post your comments when you return.

arzz, I just read a review by a couple who were on your cruise with you and wondered if you'd seen it. It was in "TraveLtips" May/June 2007 issue and called "Grand South America and Antarctica Voyage Aboard the M.S. Prinsendam" and written by Carol Gladstone.

It's a wonderful article if you can get hold of it ... it's a publication sent out to its members and I think the Gladstones were travelling with a TravLtips group.

Her story of your horrendous journey around Cape Horn reminded me so much of your awesome account. Perhaps you even met Carol and her husband, Ed, onboard.

Your account of this journey was absolutely amazing. Thank you so much for taking us along with you!

HeatherInFlorida -- I am not familiar with Travel Tips yet I would love to read the article and see if we knew these people. Can you provide more info please?

OldCodger73 -- thanks for asking how I am -- I am doing quite well, thank you -- as much as I would like to be on my way to Tahiti right now I am rather thankful that I got ill here rather than on the high seas. As far as the next trip goes -- we already have a little something planned for December and then we have booked 65 days on the Amsterdam for September of '08 -- so we will just be sitting this one out -- We have friends who are on board the Tahitian Princess now who say that the ship seems to not know that we cancelled. The Maitre D even told them that we were on board and would be at dinner the next night! and I am rather enjoying having all my clothes clean, ironed and folded and still being at home! Normally that never happens.

OldCodger73 -- thanks for asking how I am -- I am doing quite well, thank you -- as much as I would like to be on my way to Tahiti right now I am rather thankful that I got ill here rather than on the high seas. As far as the next trip goes -- we already have a little something planned for December and then we have booked 65 days on the Amsterdam for September of '08 -- so we will just be sitting this one out -- We have friends who are on board the Tahitian Princess now who say that the ship seems to not know that we cancelled. The Maitre D even told them that we were on board and would be at dinner the next night! and I am rather enjoying having all my clothes clean, ironed and folded and still being at home! Normally that never happens.

arzz,

I am so sorry to hear that you have been ill. I was actually looking around the Royal Hawaiian when we arrived there on Sunday morning after leaving the T.P. hoping that I may see you, though not having a clue what you looked like.

We had a great cruise and had wonderful weather though it was rough a couple of days, between Christmas Island and Hawaii and also between Maui and Kauai. I am sorry you have had to cancel but as you mentioned it is far better to be ill at home than away at sea.

I hope you recover soon and good health returns to you quickly.

Jennie

Thanks for the good wishes Aussie Gal -- I, too, would have loved to meet up with you in Hawaii -- I hear that they have also had rough weather between Hawaii and Christmas Island -- in fact it was so rough at Christmas Island that my friends decided not to chance the seas on the tenders. They also reported that going through immigration on the top deck, forward, took forever and people got ill while waiting in line -- it became a rather ugly scene. Overall, however, they are enjoying the cruise.

Thanks for the good wishes Aussie Gal -- I, too, would have loved to meet up with you in Hawaii -- I hear that they have also had rough weather between Hawaii and Christmas Island -- in fact it was so rough at Christmas Island that my friends decided not to chance the seas on the tenders. They also reported that going through immigration on the top deck, forward, took forever and people got ill while waiting in line -- it became a rather ugly scene. Overall, however, they are enjoying the cruise.

Did you go through customs/immigration coming into Maui? It can take quite a while, as they do it on board. We've dealt with that twice (in 2003) on the NCL Star, when she did the Fanning/Hawaiian runs. Won't be the first time that official paperwork was a burden on everyone.

Regards,

Bob Swanson

We had immigration on the Thursday morning in Hilo, Hawaii. We were told it would start at 7.30am and as we were on a tour that was leaving the ship at 8.30am, we were about 6 in line.

It was very quick and painless and I think the whole ship was finished well before 8.15am. That is the great advantage of being on a smaller ship with only 678 passengers.

We had a huge wait last October when we arrived into Tampa after our Amazon cruise. There were over 500 Canadians on board the Veendam as well as lots of other nationalities and immigration took forever. The line stretched for miles and we were all very unhappy as we all had to get up at 6am and the officials didn't start until well after 7.30am.

Jennie

As I gather from a more detailed e-mail from my friends currently aboard the Tahitian Princess, is that at Christmas Island the immigration was held in an upper forward lounge that was set up for an art auction. Apparently the seas were so rough that several people got ill, and apparently there were no "seasick bags" out, and no one out to clean up -- end of story is that they postponed the art auction until the next day so area could be sanitzed.....and my friends did not really feel like getting into a tender to visit Christmas Island under the circumstances.

Unfortunately, my friend reports that the seas were still quite rough yesterday too -- they are really looking forward to getting to Bora Bora today.

I do hope that things are better for them now -- once in Bora Bora there is very little cruising left to do.

I do hope that if there is more immigration to do upon arrival at Bora Bora that Princess has a better plan!

Arzz,

The Tahitian Lounge which is the forward lounge is the worst place in the whole ship to do immigration if the seas are rough. It really does rock and roll up there.

Foreign Nationals to the U.S. (like us) were processed there and the Show Lounge on Deck 5 was the lounge where all U.S. citizens went.

I think that immigration is now finished on the T.P. for your friends as nothing was needed for Christmas Island so I am presuming that it were the Tahitian Government who were checking the passports.

Our one bone of contention on the cruise was the way the Art Auctions took over the whole ship. Paintings/prints were everywhere and the Tahitian Lounge was used all the time for the auctions. It is a beautiful lounge - like the Crows Nest on HAL ship's - and to us it should not have been taken over every day for the auctions. The blinds were always drawn and one could not sit up there and admire the view. It was made worse by the fact that no-one was interested in buying the art and the auctions were a complete waste of time and effort.

Jennie

Arzz, so sorry I have no more info than that. Their names were Carol and Ed Gladstone. TravLtips is located on Long Island, NY. Not sure if I can post a site since they do book cruises. To get their mailings and magazine you have to be a member. I hope my husband didn't throw out the article because I might be able to scan it and email it to you.

Email me at MsSearover@aol.com and I will send you a link to their website ... maybe they would send you the issue.

• 3 months later...

Arzz..Hope you don't mind I gave this URL to some folks who will be going on Ocania in Jan..You had us all so spellbound with your account of the trip & wanted to share it with some of the others on Oceania...

Sorry just found out you were ill this summer..Hope you are feeling better..

Hope you enjoy your cruise in Dec..We also will be on Oceania (back to the Amazon) Nov. 25 to Dec 21..

:) Betty

Thanks Betty. Feel free to share this URL with anyone you wish. I had a great time posting as this trip itself was so spectacular (actually more so than I had bargained for). I find my self wondering if there will ever be a voyage that will replace this one as most memorable.

My health is fine -- just a small blip in the scheme of things that happened to occur just as we were planning to leave town -- unfortunate timing. In retrospect, however, I have a new found respect for cruise insurance and for our membership in Medjet as we came frighteningly close to needing their services.

Do enjoy the Amazon and have a great time on Oceania --have heard a lot about them but never experienced them for myself. Do report back to us.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend really enjoyed your account of this voyage, and sent me the link of the photos. I noted a name in that link which makes me ask, did you teach me chemistry and physics at Glenbard West High School? Feel free to email me, kenito799 at yahoo dot com.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazing, amazing, amazing. What can I say. That's the most enjoyable, engrossing half hour I've spent since I left the Glory a week ago. Needless to say, I've been looking at Prinsendam cruises for next winter :).

Thank you so much!

Archived