Live from Prinsendam Grand SA

arzz

Your scenic cruising sounds fantastic! What a wonderful opportunity for the passengers to hear and see the scientists from Antarctica!

Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful trip.............I wish HAL would employ wonderful writers like you, and Grumpy, (well, not LIKE you two, but YOU TWO) complete with various cruises, for marketing purposes. We sure would love to go on one of those fabulous long cruises...........................but how many passengers onboard have their "furkids" with them? :D

Arzz-

So glad to hear that after a rocky start that you all made it to Anartica and had a clear enough day to see things!!!:) I understand that is not a given on any cruise down to the bottom of the world.

Thank you for sharing your fabulous adventure!!:D

Safe seas and Sunny Skies!!

Arzz,

Thanks so much for helping me to relive our wonderful trip last year and yes we also watched "March of the Penguins" when we were in Antarctica. It is a lovely film.

I am so glad you are having good weather down there. We were also fortunate and had 4 sunny days without wind which was a big bonus but then we had to go full steam ahead to Ushuaia with all our engines at their maximum as a low was coming quickly and our Captain did not want us to repeat another 24 hours of extreme weather conditions, as we had on the way down.

Jennie

This Sight Seeing Stuff is Hard Work

which brings us to the last challenge) How do you stay fed and watered and still keep your chosen “spot”? (for this, at the very least, you need a partner to faithfully occupy your station while you are gone -- sort of like penguins).

This brings chair hogging to a whole new level :)

I am spellbound when reading of your journey and can't wait for the next installment.

Bye Bye Antarctica

Today was our last day in Antarctica. We awoke to Deception Island -- the ship circled the island that was so hard to see last night. It is composed of rugged, barren cliffs and mountains. Any snow or ice that was there has already melted for the season and it shows off the deep browns, oranges and reds of the rocks and ores that cover the visible surface.

The next step in the day’s plan was to enter the Antarctic Sound. Unfortunately there was too much ice for us to do that today. So we steamed off to have some scenic cruising at King George’s Island. It was snowing there when we arrived -- so we went right on the Elephant Island, the Antarctic finale. It was dinner time when we arrived. We eat on Starboard, the island was to Port. As we circumnavigated the island the mists and snows kicked up. When we arrived at the point of the island where sir Earnest Shackleton’s men survived an Antarctic winter (some hundred and thirty days or so) eating penguin -- they actually pointed out the “point” of the island, and then told us that, of course, we couldn’t see it for the mists. Oh well.....

A somewhat disappointing final day in the Antarctic but we are not disappointed -- we saw much of what we came for and had a great time. We are now sailing North, headed once again for the Drake Passage and on towards the Falklands.

As I write this I am watching last night’s Filipino Crew Show on TV. I have to say that this is one of the best crew shows that I have seen. There are certainly a lot of very talented crew members on board.

DH is currently dealing with the dirty underbelly of the cruise industry -- he is doing the wash.

Tomorrow is a sea day. So long from the Northern edge of Antarctica.

Arzz -

Thank you so much. I cannot begin to tell you how much I am enjoying "travelling with you". Thanks for taking me along your trip of a lifetime.

Your posts are the highlight of my day. I am so glad that you are having such an amazing trip.

Lynn

WOW...What an exciting & scary narrative of your cruise:eek: ..I'm also a latecomer to your thread but it's kept me spellbound this evening...Copied it for DH..

DH & my friends DH love the excitement of a storm at sea..They are both sailors & enjoy talking about our sailing experiences in stormy seas... But your story takes the cake!

We Were on the "Amsterdam" around the Horn & they both were so disappointed that it was flat as a pancake.. Of course they expected to have some excitement.. ;) After DH read your account, his eyes lit up & he said "wouldn't it be fun to do this trip again & go on down into Antartica"...Of course I agree & would take the trip again in a heartbeat..

So happy to hear that you all are safe & our favorite ship weathered the storm..Thanks again Arzz for your wonderful report..:) Betty

Thank you so very much! You have written such a great log that it brings back the trip DH and I took to Antarctica in 2001. We actually went onto the Peninsula in Zodiaks and also made three or four stops on some of the islands there to view the Penquins. I like your story better but it is interesting if uncomfortable to walk around among them. We flew to Ushuaia and caught the Marco Polo there and then flew back from there afterwards. It was just a trip to the Peninsula and Ushuaia. I like the way you have done it better as it was quite an ordeal each day to dress to go ashore and go through the staging process of about 10 or 15 people on each Zodiak. It was very hot in the outfits we wore and walking around in the muck was tricky and the smells were something else again. Your report is just perfect!!!!

Boy if Holland America was smart they would use your notes and the notes of the people on the Amsterdam for marketing. You are such a wonderful writer. I check a couple of times a day to see if you have updated. What will we do when your cruise is over? Thank you again for sharing with all of us.

Wow! DH and I did S.A Dec '05. Hope you get to Iguazu Falls....do take the sppedboat ride to the edge. Anyway, now I want to go back.....I will copy and paste your saga to entice DH. Please keep writing, would like to read about your visit to the Falls.

Thanks so much for taking us with you.

Blessings,

Gail

Great report! Someone (and you guys know who you are!!!!!:mad: ) is going to have to send me messages when important threads like this one are in this forum. Your story about the wave was world class and I love your attitude! You would be a true delight to sail with. What a trip and experience you are having, and you helped me relive our trip from last year around the horn!

Thank you for your time and efforts.

jc:)

Great writing ARZZ!

I am fortunate to be able to say I did these cruises too two years ago. Your writing brings back impressive memories. We had problems too at the Drake passage but not as bad as yours. I remember the mess onboard the AMDM by that time. Just an FYI, our chaos was even bigger in the storerooms and galleys. Can you imagine how the PRDM looks like below decks during your adventures?

Keep up the good writing!

Arzz, you have no idea how much I'm enjoying your live reports. This is a cruise I am wanting to do. So I am living vicariously through you for now.

The adventures around the Horn must have been exhilerating even if a bit scarey. Just glad no passengers were seriously hurt.

Now to await your next report.

Yesterday was a blissful, uneventful day at sea. Today we were in to Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands which is officially part of the UK. The island itself is fairly flat and low to the sea -- from the ship all you can see are rocky coastlines and low scrub vegetation. The biggest industry on shore is sheep farming and showing penguins to tourists. Rumor has it, it can be quite unhealthy to take a walk along some of the beaches -- there are still many unexploded land mines about.

On the island fish is cheap and beef is very expensive. Lamb and mutton used to be cheap but lately they have been exporting much of their production so it, too, is expensive. Interestingly, they shear their sheep but do not produce wool or yarn here -- it is sent to the UK for spinning.

The island has about 2500 inhabitants, about two-thirds live in town. Town is pretty with neatly kept gardens, some colorful flowers and brightly painted buildings. There is a typical red British phone booth and a rather nice church.

DH wandered into the Globe Tavern for a pint. His first was purchased for him by a local pub regular with whom he spent an hour or two visiting. When DH’s new found friend excused himself to use the facilities it is worth note that he had left his wallet out on the bar in plain sight. No one cared. British history and native americans, both interests of DH’s new friend, were the major topics of discussion.

Today was mostly sunny, temperatures in the 50’s, with a strong wind and some rain. Rumor has it that it hailed this morning. The locals claim that they have four seasons in one day in the Falklands.

This evening from the Crow’s Nest it looked like we were having four seasons in one sky. What a great view, and we were treated to another rainbow -- this time a small round one that hovered near the horizon for about twenty minutes or so.

As I write this we are headed out for what, for us, will be our last two days at sea. On Monday we arrive in Buenos Aires, and on Tuesday morning we leave the ship. I have no choice but I am not at all sure that I am ready to have this trip be over yet.

From 50 degrees south latitude and headed north

Something tells me they will have to drag you, kicking and screaming all the way, off of Prinsendam.:D We really appreciate your wonderful reports and were really relieved that you made it through the mighty wave without injury. You will post pictures when you get back home, won't you?

Thanks again,

arzz;

I have enjoyed reading your "journey", and will be sorry as well when it ends. We loved the Prinsendam, and envy your exciting and sometimes too eventful cruise. Your style of writing has taken so many of us on a fantastic voyage. Thank you so much. With CCers like you, Ides of March, Grumpy, and others who share their vacations with us each day, those of us still at home and eagerly anticipating our own holidays can easily feel we are there with you.

I hope the rest of your vacation is worry free and thank you again.

I can not believe you are leaving the ship. I have so looked forward to each story you tell about your journey. As I said before my parents are on the same ship and now we will have to guess what they are up to.lol I think I will share your log with them when they get back. I hope you have a safe trip. Thank you so much Patty

Archived