Live from Prinsendam Grand SA

arzz

Thank you for the update. It sounds like things are looking up. C'est bon. And that new itinerary also sounds pretty nice. :) Missing Grand Turk, but going to Half Moon Cay is not a bad trade-off.

At least there's sufficient glasses aboard now to keep the potent potables flowing! :D

Peter Daems was the Cruise Director on our cruise in May and June. We thought he was terrific.

He had a great staff and good rapport with the passengers and his staff. We always enjoyed his "little stories".

I am sure all will enjoy the "quieter seas". The revamped itinerary will be a disappointment to some, but obviously, changes had to be made. Hopefully, the weather will not be an issue for the rest of the voyage.

I feel it too. You will have a better passage this time. The Goddess of Bingo will make certain of this.

Your writing is compelling in that I feel like I am there with you, trolling the ship to assess the damages. What an adventure this has turned into. It seems to put into perspective so many of the little things that annoy passengers.

I am curious. Did the all the injured reboard ?

:) I just want to thank you very much for your great letters. My parents are on board the same cruise and we were all very worried. We got the call from Holland A and they gave us some info.. We were told about the waves hitting the ship and where you were at the time. They told us one of our parents were hurt.(but they could not tell us who) We were sick about it until my sister found your letters on line. Thank you once again. We believe my parents were eating dinner with you at the time the waves hit.(Mary and George) We so look forward to reading your updates. We are glad everything has worked out. Patty

arzz, if I remember correctly you're getting off the ship in Buenos Aires. How does the late arrival there affect your return home travel plans? Did you book your air through Hal, your TA or did you do it yourself?

I'm really enjoying your travel journal. Thanks.

What an experience and thanks for sharing it with us. My stepmom is on this cruise and we too received a call from the HAL medical office in Seattle saying she had hurt her arm, had been treated and planned to continue on the cruise. We were told that the damage to the ship was strictly cosmetic but that one passanger suffered a broken hip. They also told us about your posting so we have been keeping updated through your very detailed story and were relieved to hear about the safe passage back to Ushula. Thanks again.

Arzz, this is the most extraordinary piece of writing. I was absolutely so caught up in your experience and I thank you so much for taking the time to share with us.

Of course I agree that HAL handled everything so beautifully, I also think you are to be commended for your obvious poise and calm during a really frightening experience. While this sort of event might be fun fodder for some, it certainly wouldn't be for us.

For the first time ever on CC, I carried my laptop outside and read your entire story to DH. We both agreed we're not headed around Cape Horn any time soon.

I hope for you and all the other passengers smooth sailing and a wonderful time for the rest of the cruise. And I really hope you get to enjoy your trip to Iguazu Falls.

I hope when you return you'll be sure to post your pictures!

We Are Finally On Our Way!

This afternoon, at 1:00 pm the Captain reported that we were 25 miles farther south than the latitude we were at when we turned back for Ushuia on Thursday.

Since we left Ushuia yesterday the seas have behaved as one would expect at this time of year; definite motion all night gradually diminishing as the day wore on. It is evening now and the seas are flat with only some swells, the sun has been out and all is well with the world. Our sun will not set tonight until 10:00 pm and the sun will rise at 4:39 am tomorrow. Yes, we are really heading to Antarctica.

As I write this a majority of people on board are in the Queen’s Lounge or their cabins taking in the Super Bowl. Today has been a normal day at sea. Bingo and the other games started again and we had a lecture on Antarctica. There is blissfully little to report except for the warm fuzzy comforts of cruising.

A few days ago we all received copies of Antarctica the Blue Continent, a beautiful book full of information about Antarctica as well as stunning color photos. My personal fear was that this book would be all that I would get to see of Antarctica this trip. It now appears that my fears were groundless.

Scenic sightseeing begins tomorrow at 6 am. By 9 am we should be at Palmer Station where staff from the station will board the Prinsendam and make a presentation to us. So let the rest of the ship stay up and watch the Super Bowl (Go Bears!) -- we must get to bed to be ready to go early tomorrow.

From something over 7100 miles from Fort Lauderdale over 61 degrees south latitude,

Thank you so much for keeping us informed about the adventures of our beloved Prinsendam. I'm so glad that you will be able to complete the Antartic leg of the cruise. I'm sure that for many of the passengers the Antartic was the "hook" that sold them on the cruise. I know it was for me. I hope that you have the flexibility to reaarange your timetable and are able to see Iguazzu Falls before returning home. We will be looking for your descriptions of the Antartic experience.

I sure wish we were there with you.

Arzz,

First of all congratulations on such a wonderful, explicit diary. I only found it this afternoon but it has brought back so many happy memories as we did a similar voyage last January. We also went to Cusco and Machu Picchu and enjoyed every minute up there.

We love the Prinsendam and when I read somewhere else that it had been through huge waves I was sure that the ship would have not sustained much external damage as it is a wonderful ship in heavy seas.

On our similar cruise last year in January (on the Regal Princess) for 24 hours in the Drake Passage, we were buffeted by a Force 11 gale so I can understand what the passengers on the Prinsendam must have been going through though we fortunately did not strike any rogue waves.

I hope now that you are down in Antarctica that you enjoy the incredible weather we were fortunate to have last year - blue skies with little wind.

I also hope you get to the Iguazu Falls as they are breathtaking.

Keep up the wonderful writing.

Jennie

Arrz, thanks very much for your reporting and, especially, your description of the incident with the rogue wave(s)!! Glad you and most of Prinsendam's pax are OK and certainly hope those with injuries a speedy recovery!!

Had the pleasure of sailing with Captain Hale Thon Gunderson and C/D Pieter Daems on Prinsendam in Europe last August. Have to agree with you 100%; the captain is not only a gentleman but an outstanding mariner! Pieter Daems is an excellent C/D - enjoyed his little joke of the day when closing the nightly show in the Queens Lounge. Best of luck to you for the remainder of your cruise!!

1158298439_HALCaptainHaleThonGunderson.JPG.055069feb58169e4ea46d8298cf7fb0f.JPG

1276559302_HALCruiseDirectorPieterDaems.JPG.da6f2928148031515be1c47d4bbbd4a5.JPG

Great thread. Sounds like you are having trip of lifetime.

We did 'round the Horn March last year, on Regal Princess, but had very smooth seas for most of the trip.

We did encounter high winds along the Chilean coast, and we had to substitute another fjord and glacier, but really the trip was uneventful, and quite pleasant.

Wow, Wow, Wow

Coming back to Antarctica was worth it. This morning scenic cruising was to begin about 6 am. At 5:45 we forced ourselves awake, dressed, and went up to the Lido for some views along with croissants and coffee. There WE were, but there were no views yet.

Up to the Crow’s nest and we were actually early enough to get good seats and we watched -- the skies were both sunny and misty at the same time -- the ability for the skies to be two things at once is a little unique for this part of the world but we are getting used to it. As we cruised flat, sunny, seas we began to see what looked like large rocks at the misty horizon. Soon the form of a land mass (Anvers Island) clarified. Before we knew it we were sailing right up and around Anvers and we stopped just off shore of Palmer station.

The sun was out full. The island itself is largely covered with white snow, blue ice and snow, and some dark, craggy rocks that show at the shore and on some of the mountains -- if I heard correctly some of the mountains are eight or nine thousand feet tall. The snow forms crisp drifts and patterns as well as smooth curves. Some areas appear to have red algae on the surface. There are deep cracks and crevaces in the snow and ice as well as some sharp edges where pieces have fallen off. There were bits of ice floating in the water.

As soon as the island came into view we could see two small zodiacs leave Palmer Station. They arrived at the ship with a team of 5 or 6 members of the research community who shared an hour’s presentation on what they do and how they live in the antarctic -- this was followed by a question and answer session.

I am currently back in our cabin -- we are still stopped and out the cabin window we see the island covered with snow and ice. We can see the zodiacs leave with the researchers and several cartons of fresh produce. What a phenomenal opportunity for these young scientists.

The Lemaire Channel is a narrow inlet surrounded on either side by tall fjords made of ice,snow and rock. It was sunny when we arrived. You could see ice blocking most of the passage way and there were, unfortunately, 40 knot winds so we were not able to enter.

On to the wider Neumayer Channel -- accompanied by land masses on either side covered with ice and snow as well as all manners of ice in the water. The ice bergs (90% of the average ice berg is submerged) are distinguishable from floating chunks because they appear to be surrounded by a turquoise blue/green “halo” in the water. We stopped for a while at the entrance to the channel as there were small ice bergs ( or “bergie bits”) full of seals and lots of swimming gentoo penguins (hard to find from the ship - however I managed to get one jumping and swimming in the sites of my binoculars and I could clearly see both the black and white feathers). There were also occasional whale sightings all day -- I believe we were seeing orcas.

By the time we entered the Neumayer Channel it was snowing and visibility a bit low but still breath taking.

What a wonderful day -- this is why we came to Antarctica.

From 65 degrees south latitude.

Amazing! I have really, really wanted to take this cruise one of these days, and your commentary has just confirmed my wish. (I can do without the wild seas, though.)

Jim, some of us on the HAL board are planning to go to South America/Antarctica next January. Think about joining us.

arzz, thank you once again for refreshing my memories and whetting my appetite to return simultaneously. :)

This Sight Seeing Stuff is Hard Work

It is not as easy as one would guess to do this on board “scenic cruising” thing. First of all, from every window, every deck, every crack or crevice that is open to the outside there are incredible views -- and they last all day. Some on board have developed the knack of the “deck chair traveler” to a fine art. Having cruised mostly Caribbean in the past where the view is usually the same, the ocean, from any vantage point, I am but a novice.

There are several challenges: Where to look? (starboard, port, bow, stern) From where to look? (are the views better from deck 13 or the Crow’s Nest? or is it better to be in your cabin or the promenade on deck seven where you are closer to the water?) When to look? (actually here in Antarctica almost any time works -- which brings us to the last challenge) How do you stay fed and watered and still keep your chosen “spot”? (for this, at the very least, you need a partner to faithfully occupy your station while you are gone -- sort of like penguins).

The bottom line, however, is no matter what you choose to do you will be looking starboard when the whales are on the port side and you will be looking to port when that large group of penguins slide off the ice berg that is starboard.

Last night instead of a live show we viewed “March of the Penguins” in the Queen’s Lounge. We were exhausted after a full day of chasing “scenic viewies”. We slept well in the Antarctic twilight, and awoke to the beginnings of “Antarctic Scenic Cruising Day 2”.

We began the day with a pass thru the Neumayer Channel, then on to the Gerlache Straits and some views of the Antarctic mainland. If I had to characterize today I would say.....”Penguins, penguins, penguins, ice bergs, more penguins, and an occasional seals and whales”. We finally did get up close and personal with penguins -- they were everywhere for hours. As we passed the Chilean Station in Paradise Bay we could see that the rocks were covered with penguins standing at attention and casually watching us -- interspersed with the penguins were a few Chileans, also standing at attention and casually watching us. Penguins were swimming in the waters everywhere and it became a common sight to see them swimming and jumping close enough to the ship to see with the naked eye. Yes, yes, yes this is what I came to Antarctica for!

Occasionally we are reminded that we are still on a cruise ship. At 2 pm today much of the cruise staff and a larger number of daft passengers got into the lido pool with a large chunk of ice and a couple buckets of ice cubes to earn their “I swam in Antarctica” certificates. Actually it looked like fun.

We currently are sailing for Deception Island where in addition to the natural scenery we may be able to view the unfortunate Norwegian vessel that went aground last week. At least we do know that all aboard were rescued by the sister vessel the NordNorge. We watched them disembark across the pier from us in Ushuia on Feb 1.

The pre-dinner show in the dining room this evening was performed by a large group of whales off the starboard and stern who jumped, floated and blew sea water for us all. The Captain slowed the ship which circled the whales for several minutes -- all I can say is the dining room staff was amazingly patient (and several of them were actually cheering the whales with the rest of us).

We have already been warned that we may not make it into the Antarctic Sound tomorrow to go to Elephant Island as the ice map is not favorable. Alternate scenic cruising plans will be made.

To Grumpy -- I have been making a discrete investigation of the situation above and around M505 -- In my estimation the laundry is directly above M505 -- the crew areas adjacent in that corridor and both the odd and even number corridors on the deck above sound quiet from the halls -- I have tried walking down the hallway at different times of day. I do not know, however, what exactly occupies the spaces behind those “crew only” doors. If M504 is the alternate stateroom that the OP is looking at, I believe that part of the laundry overlaps the top of that cabin also as the laundry is deep and extends past a bulkhead that probably goes down the center of the ship in the direction from bow to stern. The other day when we tendered there was a detailed map of all areas of the ship framed on the wall in the crew area but the picture we took of the map did not come out. We will try again if we tender from that door in the Falklands.

To those that have asked, at a “significant penalty” we have been able to rearrange our air from Buenos Aires to Iguazu and the hotel at the falls was still available on our new dates. The only catch is that we will probably fly back home to the states standby and since it will be President’s Day weekend when we do we could get grounded in Miami or Dallas for a while. But, oh well, going with the flow is all part of traveling.

Hovering off shore of Deception Island

Archived