Don't book this (these) rooms

SPARKY12

Just noticed you are on the Epic this year. We are doing the 7 day out of Rome on June 4th. Are you traveling the Mediterranean?

We did the 7 day from Rome last year iaround mid-May--a couple of weeks earlier that you. Thought it was a good itinerary. Very port heavy but got to see a lot of great things. We arranged two excursions of about 10 people that we "met" on the roll call. Had a blast.

Not too much info about theses cabins

Interested in a GS or OS on the 8th deck. Is noise level from above noticeable in all of them?

Is that the same deck plan as Grandeur? If so, I'll let you know about noise level in our Deck 8 Grand Suite when we get back in a couple weeks, if that is any help.:)

you do not want to be under the Galley. This operates 24/7 all day and night. you will hear pans dropping and carts rolling.

do you need the connecting room?

being under the dining room is a better choice it is not running all day and night== its carpeted so it insulates sound

the galley/ dining room will be above you-- not on the same deck

Because there are 7 of us, 5 being children, we needed the connecting rooms plus rooms that would hold 3-4 people .. not an easy task unfortunately .. Let's hope the noise is bearable .. ;)

Because there are 7 of us, 5 being children, we needed the connecting rooms plus rooms that would hold 3-4 people .. not an easy task unfortunately .. Let's hope the noise is bearable .. ;)

Not ideal - that & the front of the ship being the 2 areas I would really try to avoid. Ear plugs, sound machine, or even set the TV to a static station (and drape the front of it with a sweater or something to block the light) to help muffle any noise might help.

We did the 7 day from Rome last year iaround mid-May--a couple of weeks earlier that you. Thought it was a good itinerary. Very port heavy but got to see a lot of great things. We arranged two excursions of about 10 people that we "met" on the roll call. Had a blast.

Just curious - how was the weather?

And did you use a private tour guide - and in what cities?

Just curious - how was the weather?

And did you use a private tour guide - and in what cities?

The weather was terrible. We never used the water slides. I had a posh pass and was refunded after 3 days because it was so cold and windy that Posh never opened. They were supposed to have the White Hot Party at H2O Spice under the stars but had to moved it indoors at the Bliss Lounge because it was too cold. etc etc.

Weather in May in the Med is in transition. We stayed in a village outside of Rome the week before the cruise and the weather was really nice and sunny. You take your chances in May with the weather.

We did two ship excursions One was the train to Stoller on Mallorca which I really recommend. It sells out. the other was a walking tour of Aix en Province. The guide was very soft spoken and the group was too large so I would not recommend it.

We arranged two excursions though our roll call board on the site with Rome In Limo. There was about ten of us. It was a really good time. Saw a lot and had fun. We did those out of Livorno and Naples. both included a wine tasting lunch which was a lot of fun as well as being informative.

Finally,we did a bike tour of Barcelona with Urban Adventures. We stopped for tapas in the Gothic QUarter which was fun. Also so a lot of Barcelona, but the guy tore around town like he was on the tour de france.

In Rome we did an amazing tour of the Vatican through Context tours.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back from the Carnival Sensation that sailed starting Jan19th we were in R170 and it was a horrible room, this was my 3rd time on the sensation 4th time cruising with Carnival, but first time bringing my family with me.

We were above something that the crew used, there was loud banging at very late times in the night, it was so bad we had terrible nights of sleep and when I complained, they looked at me like I was crazy, I complained again and they sent someone to our room, but she basically said well if I can't hear it myself while I am in your room than it isn't happening, they wanted me to call when it was happening, I invited her to sleep in our room, because how else is she going to hear it? I hated that room, for that reason only, I have always slept so well on cruises and marveled at how quiet it was, but I had never been that low on the ship. It really makes me rethink cruising.

We just got back from the Carnival Sensation that sailed starting Jan19th we were in R170 and it was a horrible room, this was my 3rd time on the sensation 4th time cruising with Carnival, but first time bringing my family with me.

We were above something that the crew used, there was loud banging at very late times in the night, it was so bad we had terrible nights of sleep and when I complained, they looked at me like I was crazy, I complained again and they sent someone to our room, but she basically said well if I can't hear it myself while I am in your room than it isn't happening, they wanted me to call when it was happening, I invited her to sleep in our room, because how else is she going to hear it? I hated that room, for that reason only, I have always slept so well on cruises and marveled at how quiet it was, but I had never been that low on the ship. It really makes me rethink cruising.

Have had the same experience with Carnival -- they are taught to act as though they have never heard such a complaint before. The real secret is to examine the deck plans before you make a selection to make sure of what is above and below you (although nothing is perfect). You must assume, even for a very new ship, that soundproofing is just not there (I also think that all of the metal just carries sound.). Also, the engineers that have designed even ships less than 2 years old don't give this a consideration in the placement of functions on each level. The safest bet for each deck is to identify a cabin with only a cabin above it and a cabin below it. Even an aft cabin with a seductive balcony can have an entertainment venue directly below where speakers are attached to the ceiling (no joke! how unbelievably stupid?). Don't know if Carnival is "taught" to behave this way until "caught" (talked to people out on their balconies who had the same problem), but these cabins should either be sold with a warning or offered at an informed discount. I am both a Carnival and Royal Caribbean stockholder and just will never go on a Carnival ship again for so many reasons. When you hear that Carnival has left Europe (versus Holland America, Princess, etc.) you can understand that there is a significant difference in both the experience and the service. Correct, that multiple trips to Passenger Services to complain just ruins the vacation whether you are an experienced complainer or an infrequent one. Be warned and take precautions.

DJ:(

• 2 weeks later...
Is that the same deck plan as Grandeur? If so, I'll let you know about noise level in our Deck 8 Grand Suite when we get back in a couple weeks, if that is any help.:)

ShakyBeef, did you end up having any issues with noise in your Grand Suite? I know it's a different ship, but we have one booked on the Rhapsody.

Thanks!

Edited by tyry

ShakyBeef, did you end up having any issues with noise in your Grand Suite? I know it's a different ship, but we have one booked on the Rhapsody.

Thanks!

We stayed in 8008 on Grandeur, and had no noise problems. There was a noise that I thought of as "rolling thunder" above us occassionally, that I assume was the cart traffic of which others have spoken. It never woke us (and I am a light sleeper), and didn't seem to occur more than once or twice a day. Each time we heard it, it only lasted a few seconds. No big deal.:)

Our door was loud in a strange way, though. It rattled upon opening and closing as if it had loose sheet metal inside the door itself. Again, this was no big deal, just odd.

The door to the crew area across the hall from us was very frequently in use, but the crew were almost always very quiet while doing so. The noisiest times for that area were understandably the first day and the last night, when luggage was being moved. Again, no big deal.

I would recommend this suite and will stay in it again with no hesitation.:)

Sorry, to hear about your noise issue with Carnival. However, I was recently on Carnival's revamped Triumph. We had a nice view and the first night we heard banging that sounded like a loose chain outside our window. I reported this and Carnival was very accommodating, and offered to change my room. However, later in the day, we did not her any noise so stayed in our room. We never did hear the banging again. Carnival checked with us several times throughout the trip to make sure we were comfortable and gave us a cruise credit (which we did not ask for).

It just depends on whose at the service desk, I was on RCCL and had an issue, they advised me I could report it to the main office when we docked. Had an issue with Holland and they were not of much help until my husband went down.

just booked Cabin 1202 on Carnival Dream..It will be me and my cousin, so we need separate beds.. from what I can tell this has a bed and a sofa..Any issues with this cabin? I have stayed in all types of cabins, so the location and normally the cabin does not bother me

Its a long walk to the food (sometimes 2-3 times a day)

You are the most forward cabin as possible. IF you hit rough waters you will get the most motion. Its a good side because the other side will get the dropping of the anchor.

Its a long walk to the food (sometimes 2-3 times a day)

You are the most forward cabin as possible. IF you hit rough waters you will get the most motion. Its a good side because the other side will get the dropping of the anchor.

Thank you for your response!! I feel we need to walk more, as I will be eating a ton lol!! Last year we had an awesome location up on deck 8. I asked my cousin if she would want to upgrade, she says she is fine where we are. I know we shouldn't have any foot traffic up and down the halls, no cabins across from us either.. It seems to be in a good quiet location.

We went with carnival choosing our room and found out which one it is today. We are on Carnival Liberty We were given 2245. Anyone know what is next to us? It shows blank space. I know we are below the theatre. How noisy will this get? Should I ask to change it?

We went with carnival choosing our room and found out which one it is today. We are on Carnival Liberty We were given 2245. Anyone know what is next to us? It shows blank space. I know we are below the theatre. How noisy will this get? Should I ask to change it?

there is a HUGE price difference if you let the cruiselines pick your cabin. Its called a guarantee.

IF you booked a guarantee the chances of you moving is slim to none-- but I would ask anyways

To book a guarantee and NOT get any kind of upgrade--even one level sucks

If you paid to pick your own cabin-- then pick your own cabin.

Yes, I would be moving from that area.

dancers practice after midnight. and if you want to go to bed early you will get the thump thump thump from the music.

being this forward its going to be a VERY long walk to the food sometimes 2 times a day--- by midweek that walk will be long.

same category-- see whats available around 2436. Dining rooms are carpeted-- no noise issue. Puts you close to elevators/ stairs to get you to where you gotta go

Edited by serene56

If you are offered a guarantee for a specific category, say balcony at a significant savings -- and you review where the balcony cabins are and will be happy with any of them (this fits on some smaller, older ships where balconies may only be on one or two upper decks) then go for it! Don't expect a convenient time of cabin assignment (the company is still trying to talk others into paying more and taking a better cabin) and don't expect an offer of an upgrade (at least without paying for it?). Obviously each company knows way better what they are doing, while you have just Roll Call members and us here!

DJ:)

I love knowing which rooms to stay away from! Which ocean view rooms on Carnival Elation should we stay away from? We are booked in E210 so I hope it's a good one for a first cruise!

you are under the dining room which is carpeted so no noise issue from above.

cabins beside and across so thats good.

and cabins below. you made a wise decision.

you do not ever want to be under a galley