Capers Question- Friends of??

CRevetti22

For those of you in the know...in the Carnival Capers, sometimes I've seen "Friends of Bob W, Crimson Club, Dk 4 Fwd" or similar. Do you have any idea what this means? Is it a private party that a fellow cruiser has organized or what?

Just curious since we are going on a cruise in Nov with a group. We were given "points" for booking a group. We'll be attending a "shared group cocktail party". I was wondering how you find out how many others you'll share with & if it will show up in the Capers like this?

Thank you :)

It's "Friends of Bill W." which are AA meetings.

Your private party will not be mentioned in the capers, it is up to the group leader to provide everyone with the where and when.

Whether or not you share the venue depends on the size of your group and what else is going on for your particular sailing.

For those of you in the know...in the Carnival Capers, sometimes I've seen "Friends of Bob W, Crimson Club, Dk 4 Fwd" or similar. Do you have any idea what this means? Is it a private party that a fellow cruiser has organized or what?

Just curious since we are going on a cruise in Nov with a group. We were given "points" for booking a group. We'll be attending a "shared group cocktail party". I was wondering how you find out how many others you'll share with & if it will show up in the Capers like this?

Friends of Bill W = a gathering for "Alcoholics Annonymous".

Friends of Dorothy = a gathering of homosexuals.

Those are the only two I know of that are standard on any sailing.

There also may be Groups sailing on the ship.

....the ship will announce their gatherings in the Capers.

Bill & Dorothy above....

are not necessarily groups traveling,

but the ships will universally use those terms...

in an effort to let the passengers know that they can come to this gathering and meet other passengers with similar interests/..etc..

Hope this helps.

As others have said: Friends of Bill are AA members. We are not a private group, just an anonymous group. ;) Anyone is welcome to join us for a meeting.

I had no idea what this was either. I don't understand if it is "code" how people can know they can go and meet others with like interests? I assumed, like others have, that it was a reunion or large group or something...so I wouldn't even think or bother to ask. Is this something well known among cruisers? How did you find out about it? Seems strange to me to have meetings to meet new people with the same lifestyles, but have a veiled announcement of the meetings.

I had no idea what this was either. I don't understand if it is "code" how people can know they can go and meet others with like interests? I assumed, like others have, that it was a reunion or large group or something...so I wouldn't even think or bother to ask. Is this something well known among cruisers? How did you find out about it? Seems strange to me to have meetings to meet new people with the same lifestyles, but have a veiled announcement of the meetings.

I don't know if it is well known among cruisers but among members of Alcoholics Anonymous we learn that Bill W. and Bob S. were co-founders of the fellowship and some of us learn to ask someone we meet if they are a friend of Bill?

I don't know if it is well known among cruisers but among members of Alcoholics Anonymous we learn that Bill W. and Bob S. were co-founders of the fellowship and some of us learn to ask someone we meet if they are a friend of Bill?

Have you ever come to Akron,Ohio for Founders Day? It is quite a weekend.

Fair enough... and I guess someone seeking out AA for the first time probably wouldn't do it on a cruise. If they wanted to, though, they may not know the Bill W. reference. What about the Dorothy for Homosexuals? Is that another well known thing said in the homosexual community? I guess I am out of touch with this kind of thing.

Fair enough... and I guess someone seeking out AA for the first time probably wouldn't do it on a cruise. If they wanted to, though, they may not know the Bill W. reference. What about the Dorothy for Homosexuals? Is that another well known thing said in the homosexual community? I guess I am out of touch with this kind of thing.

I'm sure derf can help out but Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz is a big "gay" icon as are Diana Ross, Barbara Streisand....hmmm, who else?

Should the question be, how am I "in touch" with this kind of thing:eek:

Trust me, those seeking out these meetings know what they are and what they are called. People that attend AA meetings know what a Friends of Bill W meeting is, and I most people in the gay/lesbian community know what a FOD meeting is as well...

I'm going to guess that most people are not going to go to their first AA meeting on a cruise, and most aren't going to discover they are gay/lesbian on a cruise :p It's nice that Carnival has meetings for both groups...

I'm going to guess that most people are not going to go to their first AA meeting on a cruise, and most aren't going to discover they are gay/lesbian on a cruise :p It's nice that Carnival has meetings for both groups...

While most people might not go to their first AA meeting on a cruise, stranger things have happened. You never know where you will be when it's your time to get sober....could be on a cruise ship...that's one reason the meetings are there to reach out anytime, anywhere:)

While most people might not go to their first AA meeting on a cruise, stranger things have happened. You never know where you will be when it's your time to get sober....could be on a cruise ship...that's one reason the meetings are there to reach out anytime, anywhere:)

You are right, it could happen! Let's just hope they can decipher the code if they really do need it...

I wonder what would happen if the

Friends of Bill

Friends of Dorothy

Society of Friends

and The Friends of Derf

got together at the same time

"Society of Friends" Doesn't that include the guy on the Oatmeal box? I think one of these things is not like the others.;)

"Society of Friends" Doesn't that include the guy on the Oatmeal box? I think one of these things is not like the others.;)

I don't know...aren't some Society of Friends rather liberal minded? I think we could have some fun together.....one big egalitarian group.

You are right, it could happen! Let's just hope they can decipher the code if they really do need it...

That was exactly my point. I do agree, it is great that Carnival does have these meetings. My inquiry was just about the fact that I didn't know how well these codes were known amongst their respective groups. It seems that it isn't too difficult for them to figure it out. Thanks everyone.

Archived