New Men's Spa Services

bepsf

I felt like I needed a haircut when I boarded Noordam earlier this month, so upon boarding I wandered up to the spa to make an appt before the sailaway party that evening.* Turns out that they were able to take me for a cut that afternoon, so after lunch I went back to the spa and met with the lovely Lindsay (from Manchester) who sat me right down and took superb care of me.* I even decided to have some highlights done, and she took care of that "no problem" - we had some fun joking w/ the passengers who were coming in for their spa tours and seeing me there getting trimed and "foiled" ;) She even ran off to the Lido to get me some iced tea to enjoy while I was "processing"!

In our chats, it turns out that Steiner had just introduced a series of services specifically for men:* Shaves, Facials and Scalp/Arm/Hand massage. *M&D had given me a spa credit aboard ship via HAL Shipservices as a belated Xmas present, I went ahead and booked myself for a return trip the next day.* Their menu follows:

Express Shave - Includes a deep cleansing scrub and a double close shave to leave your skin super smooth.* $39

Deep Cleanse Shave - Enjoy the benefits of a soothing face, hand and arm massage and a deep cleansing treatment.* Excellent to de-sensitize and de-congest your skin.* $65

Shave of All Shaves - This is for the Gentleman who wants maximum results.* We energize, polish and protect your skin with a deep cleansing facial and a double close shave.* Indulge in three luxurious massages for the face, scalp, hands and arms.* $85* (Includes a free haircut)

Since Lindsay had already charged me for the haircut on the day of my departure, she promised that if I went ahead and booked the Shave of all Shaves, that she'd only charge me for that service less the haircut - sounded like a good deal to me since I knew that I wanted some sort of massage/facial anyways.

When I returned the next afternoon, she was all set - I had been sent to the changing room to put on the spa bathrobe and sat for a spell in the relaxation room having some mint tea when she found me and brought me back to her corner chair overlooking the sea.* She had me remove my ring and watch, and I just sat back and enjoyed an hour of pampering:* Steaming hot towels followed by fragrant facial scrubs; two shaves using an old-fashioned badger-hair brush and cup to apply the warm shaving cream; then more hot towels and soothing toners followed by cold towels to close the pores before a soft facial massage with oils and moisturizers; then strong fingers and hot oils on my scalp, arms and hands - you'd be amazed at how relaxed one can become with such simple sensory input.

Needless to say, after only an hour had passed I was almost completely relaxed - if it weren't for overhearing the cranky lady passenger having her hair done in the chair next to me I'd have been in utter bliss.* Apparently this will be rectified on Eurodam where there will be a dedicated Men's Barbershop aboard.

The best part is that there was no hardsell of Elemis products or further spa treatments after the experience, as I and others have been through in the past.* They were there on display and Lindsay was open to discussing what she was using should I have asked - but she was very respectful of my relaxed state throughout the treatment.

Kudos to Steiner and the lovely Lindsay for a great experience in their spa.

:)

Lindsay cut my hair on my Xmas cruise and she was very pleasant. I liked her spirit and spunk, plus my haircut was excellent.

I guess barbershops at sea are the new trend. RCI's Freedom has a very nice one on the Promenade. I didn't know about the Eurodam, so thanks for sharing that.

The new Elemis products for men are excellent. I wish it was time to spa!

Brian..you are telling one of the great secrets onboard....for years I have been getting my haircut onboard ocean liners & ships.....the European haircutters are the best trained on earth!!!! I usually go up on sailing day & if they can fit me in I am done in no time..otherwise I go back at the appointed hour.

As a matter of fact - yesterday I emailed a friend that will be sailing on Prinsendam in May...had a haircut off the Azores 2 years ago in her small but great salon, went for a steam & then lunch...thats a good start to the day!

Never once have I had a bad haircut......the men only services area will be welcomed...

Is HAL planning to offer the Men's spa services on all their ships?

There is nothing like a professional shave.

Dave

The only problem at sea is the motion in the ocean & trying not to spill your martini hile the shave is being executed!!!!!

Is HAL planning to offer the Men's spa services on all their ships?

There is nothing like a professional shave.

Dave

The only problem at sea is the motion in the ocean & trying not to spill your martin while the shave is being executed!!!!!

Brian-I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Thank you for all the information. Would you happen to recall the price of a haircut?

Also...My husband has a full beard. Could he get a facial?

Pat.

I don't have my shipbard bill, but I wanna say that a haircut was around $25-30? I recall it being less than I pay my guy here in SF...

I don't see why they wouldn't be able to give him a facial for the areas that aren't growing hair. Of course the ladies in the spa will be better equipped to answer that question than I...

;)

Brian..you are telling one of the great secrets onboard....for years I have been getting my haircut onboard ocean liners & ships.....the European haircutters are the best trained on earth!!!! I usually go up on sailing day & if they can fit me in I am done in no time..otherwise I go back at the appointed hour.

Never once have I had a bad haircut......the men only services area will be welcomed...

Rottie--

I agree - I've enjoyed great haircuts and facials aboard both HAL and MSC - it's a great way to relax and enjoy a day at sea...

...tho this is the first time I've had a haircut aboard ship while gazing out the windows at the traffic on the West Side Highway!

;)

Enough martini's and who cares.

Make mine Sapphire up with a twist,

Dave

Altho I like a Dirty Martini w/3 large olives sometimes.....

Perhaps the new Men's Salon should have a bar..here in NYC there are several men's barbers that serve drinks..they are somewhat exclusive but the services & drinks are excellent!!! I've stumbled a couple of times after a cut & shine!!!

Rottie--

I agree - I've enjoyed great haircuts and facials aboard both HAL and MSC - it's a great way to relax and enjoy a day at sea...

...tho this is the first time I've had a haircut aboard ship while gazing out the windows at the traffic on the West Side Highway!

;)

Brian - on the FRANCE...it was Champagne.....even in my youth! QE2..a pint or a Gin & tonic...Italian LIne always a Compari....fun... & the people that worked in the salon were always happy to cut a mans head of hair for a change....cocktails, haircut, steam, shower, dress, cocktails(martinis), dinner, after dinner drinks....cha cha cha.....

I think the return to the barbershop is an excellent idea. I like to keep my head completely shaved (bald) and I couldn't do it on the Oosterdam due to hot water issues a couple of times, motion issues, etc. I let it grow in a little and took care of it when I got home.

I also think its about time they realized the spa isn't just a woman's domain. I spent a lot of money in there on both cruises which I really never admit to anyone. Mainly to take care of my fingernails which can get pretty unsightly when you work in the dirt and grime all day. I don't want to gross anyone out at dinner....assuming I had people to dine with....hehehe.

...Mainly to take care of my fingernails which can get pretty unsightly when you work in the dirt and grime all day. I don't want to gross anyone out at dinner....assuming I had people to dine with....hehehe.

CD--

Ever try Vaseline under your fingernails before you head off to work?

It really works!

;)

Campari???

Rottie, You're a braver man than I - Can't stand the stuff!

(Worse than Gin!)

:eek:

***bepsf sips his Manhattan***

The MMM's come at cocktail hour or on deck or in the shower or dancing across some ocean or.....

another great thing is to take a cold(I mean frigid) plunge bath & then steam...great for the muscles (especially after working out or curing the last evenings imbibing) & pores.....

Brian - try the Comapri w/ orange juice...I like mine w/ soda & twist but on a morning when the steward is late with the coffee.....

Archived