Re: N.Y.C. Sea Conditions

SusieCruisie

If sail away is scheduled for the Noordam at 4:45, what time is the lifeboat drill and when do we go past the statue of liberty?

All things being equal, and figuring that everyone else will be in the Crow's nest, how is the view from the Lido windows?:)

As you can tell by my screen name and signature, I have spent lots of time at sea in ships less than half that of Noordam. I've taken 40 degree rolls, watch the gun mount on the bow disappear in "Green" water, watched white water break over the bridge, and much more. Rough in my book is when I have to walk on the walls. Even on these ships, we diverted course away from the storm, not drive through it. You can bet your bottom dollar that Captain Scott will steer a course away from the worst of any weather and as Brian said earlier, Noordam is built to exceed far more punishment from the seas than any passenger would see. Here are some things to keep in mind while in high seas; put things away in your stateroom that you are not using, don't leave things laying about that could become "airborne" and injure someone. Relax and don't walk about if you can't seem to find your "Sea Leggs". If you do venture about, stay off the weather decks and use caution when walking. The ship does an average of 20 Knotts steaming to the Caribbean but will have to slow a bit if she encounters weather. You will move through it rather quickly. Best advise, enjoy your cruise!

I just looove your knowing, 'plucky' attitude, Navy Chief!!:) I have a mental image of what you look like, too...very seafaring and 'maritime-like'.;)

I sure wish you were on with us for the Feb. 7 cruise out of NYC. Who knows? You might be holding daily therapy sessions!:rolleyes: I know I would most definetely be looking for you for reassurance and good vibes. You can bet I'm making mental notes of all your posts. Mostly though, I am thinking positive and looking forward to wonderful moments on this beautiful ship with it's great crew and all the stops in the magical Caribbean. :p Thanks again.

Thanks again to all who responded :) The people on this board are always so helpful and willing to share! Shirley, I look forward to meeting you also! Navy Chief, Exactly how fast is 20 knotts? Can you compare it to miles, just wondering. Well, I have 16 days to go, and counting! I'm going to try and put all the fears to rest, and consentrate on having a great time. I will surely let you know my personal experience whan I return.

Happy Cruising,

Susie

Hey Susie, but just forget to take your bungie cord so you don't fall our of your bunk. ;)

Hey Susie, but just forget to take your bungie cord so you don't fall our of your bunk. ;)

LoL, used to tuck my deck shoes under the open side of my navy "Rack" (term for bed) curling the matress up on the open side. I only got bumped out once wen we took a big roll to that open side. I woke up and stood on the "Rack" across from me then stepped down to the deck. That happened in 92 when we caught part of "The Perfect Storm" on our Trans Atlantic heading from the Med to Norfolk. Quite a ride to be sure; we diverted south and came back a day late. I was really busy in the Radio Room making all those Phone Patches :D this of course was pre-email the sailors have today;)

Susie, if you run into the really rough stuff, catch a few pictures if you can, I'm sure folks here would love to see some. We do wish we could go to sea again with y'all but work calls :( I may spoil your "image" of me but here I am on board Rotterdam's open bridge next to the ships Gyro compass on our 04 Med cruise: disk3068-E.jpg

( I may spoil your "image" of me but here I am on board Rotterdam's open bridge next to the ships Gyro compass on our 04 Med cruise: disk3068-E.jpg

You are one of the very few people that look just like I thought. If we add a beard and time, you and my DH could be twins. He was 101st Airborn so never the twain shall meet :)

I did sport a beard at one time, then "Uncle Sam" said, "No more beards allowed on my ships" and we all had to shave :D so there it went, never did get the urge to grow it back:) . We also don't tote beer around on our warships like you do down there Chivalrygirl :( though I have enjoyed the hospitality from other NATO ships and their "pubs" ;)

If sail away is scheduled for the Noordam at 4:45, what time is the lifeboat drill and when do we go past the statue of liberty?

All things being equal, and figuring that everyone else will be in the Crow's nest, how is the view from the Lido windows?:)

Have we had an answer to this yet? Our stateroom is on the port side, so we're going to have to find another spot to see the Statue of Liberty!

Back to the packing........:eek:

Innlady, I think port side is the correct or best side,also right side to see the statue. We are on the other side. I think it must take at least 30 to 45 minutes to get out of the harbor. Perhaps some of you who have done this from NY can tell us where to see her besides the crow's nest which will be tipping toward the water, and about how long till she's in view.

Thanks!

Hey guys this is most useful, I never could have imagined that I might pull this one off but we to are going to be sailing our of NY in September. Sadly its going to be Princess, HAL was just too expensive. We are going to sail up the St. Lawrence, anybody done this, or got some advice for a couple of naive Kiwis?

No idea how we will get back from Canada to either NJ or DC, not sure which we will return to. Son in DC, 97yr old husbands Aunt in NJ. A must see while we are up there.

Life boat drill goes down at 4PM. Manhatten will be to port as you depart NYC; Lady Liberty will pass down the Starboard side. She will be in view for about 5 minutes. I don't recall the exact time we passed by her on departure.

Navy chief what state do you live in? I can't work out what CT stands for.

We were down at our wharf a couple of weeks ago to visit the Statendam, we have a mini Statue of Liberty sitting on one of our wharfs, for some sort of advertising promotion.

Navy chief what state do you live in? I can't work out what CT stands for.

We were down at our wharf a couple of weeks ago to visit the Statendam, we have a mini Statue of Liberty sitting on one of our wharfs, for some sort of advertising promotion.

Chivalrygirl, CT = Connecticut.

mamaofami, you're on the right side to see Lady Liberty! We are not. Until the morning we return.

So I hope someone answers your question about the best viewing spot!

Archived