Re: N.Y.C. Sea Conditions

SusieCruisie

Due to the recent posts of very rough seas in and out of New York, I have a few people in my party that I was not sharing this information with, for obvious reasons. As we know, CC is addicting, so they saw it for themselves! I would like to hear from anyone that can calm the fears of my family (who are ready to cancel, I might add!) Any reassurance would be helpful, ie: Even though there could be rough seas, what is the worst and best case scenerio.

Thank you all for your help, I really want to go on my trip in 17 days, and cannot go if they all cancel on me!

:) Susie

PS This is our 1st winter vacation, we have always cruised in the summer out of N.Y.

Have done the cruise out o NY. As I said we had rough seas, but those who were prepared were fine! Just be prepared and think positively not everyone gets seasick, and it can be dealt with...... You will all have a great time!

What is the worst that could happen? IF the seas are rough, it will be for a short time, certainly not the duration of the cruise. Worst case scenario: You are doped up on dramamine or other seasickness remedy for the first day or so. Then, before you know it, you are on an island sipping rum punch and sticking your toes in the hot sand. I'll take the worst-case scenario any day over staying home in the cold, rainy weather!

I always get seasick, and I've sailed out of NY 6 times, two of them during hurricanes (remember Hurricane Floyd?). Anyway, I take something I get at the local pharmacy called Marezine, it doesn't make you tired and it works great. We sail in 2 weeks from NY again, and I'm not worried. Last Feb the seas were very calm leaving and returning, I'm sure it'll be fine now too. Drinking Ginger-ale also calms your stomach, and eating Ginger Snaps, believe it or not! I also tried taking ginger pills, two a day for a week before the cruise, and each day during the cruise, and I never felt a thing. I thought the seas were rougher in Alaska.

Good Luck!

I wouldn't worry about it.

We had 45 foot seas on the inaugural cruise as we were returning to NYC - and most of us slept through the entire thing!* Noordam (and her Vista-sisters) handles rough seas extremely well - much better than the smaller ships in the fleet. *Noordam has no vulnerable forward-facing private balconies with big glass doors like the NCL ships that had such extensive damage when hit by big waves - and Captain Scott has a career of over 30 years at sea with a long, long history of safety, including being CO of Veendam, Captain of the old Noordam(III) and the first master of Zuiderdam.

Besides, if your friends choose to cancel now because they're afraid of what might happen - they'll lose all their money and miss having a fabulous time...

...and if you do run into rough seas - think of all the great stories you'll get to tell your less-adventurous friends and co-workers when you get home!

;)

Thank you all so much for your prompt responses. I know about the whole seasick issue, and Bonines are great, but it is the danger factor that they are worrying about. It is good to hear that this class of ships can handle the rough seas better than others, I just want to reassure everyone involved that we will have a safe trip, regardless if we have an upset tummy.I mean, some of the posts have been down right scary! I don't want to be falling out of bed or anything.We are on deck 5, and from what I understand, the higher you are, the more you get tossed. Is this true?

I wouldn't worry about it.

We had 45 foot seas on the inaugural cruise as we were returning to NYC - and most of us slept through the entire thing!* Noordam (and her Vista-sisters) handles rough seas extremely well - much better than the smaller ships in the fleet. *Noordam has no vulnerable forward-facing private balconies with big glass doors like the NCL ships that had such extensive damage when hit by big waves - and Captain Scott has a career of over 30 years at sea with a long, long history of safety, including being CO of Veendam, Captain of the old Noordam(III) and the first master of Zuiderdam.

Besides, if your friends choose to cancel now because they're afraid of what might happen - they'll lose all their money and miss having a fabulous time...

...and if you do run into rough seas - think of all the great stories you'll get to tell your less-adventurous friends and co-workers when you get home!

;)

Brian, this Captain Scott, is he not a Kiwi?

Thank you all so much for your prompt responses. I know about the whole seasick issue, and Bonines are great, but it is the danger factor that they are worrying about. It is good to hear that this class of ships can handle the rough seas better than others, I just want to reassure everyone involved that we will have a safe trip, regardless if we have an upset tummy.I mean, some of the posts have been down right scary! I don't want to be falling out of bed or anything.We are on deck 5, and from what I understand, the higher you are, the more you get tossed. Is this true?

Stop worrying Susie, just take some bungie cord :)

IMHO, you should stop worrying about what could or might happen and start thinking about enjoying a fantastic Carribean cruise aboard the "jewel" of the HAL fleet

without trying to be snide, you have to bear in mind that objects on the water "tend to move" .. the seas off New York down to Nassau can be "bumpy" at times but so can the seas between Ft. Lauderdale and Nassau

IMO, some passengers tend to get "a bit carried away" when describing the sea conditions .. 5 foot waves turn into 10, 10 turn into 15 and 15 turn into heaven knows what ..

as so many have posted, the Noordam rides "beautifully" .. even with "very rough seas", the movement is for the most part minimal

also, can't help but totally agree with the comments attesting to the skill and seamanship of Capt. John Scott, the Commander of Noordam .. then again, each and every captain in the fleet (along with Chief Officers) are among the "elite" in the industry ..

finally, and if this will you give you an solace, the crew hates rough seas as much if not more so that the pax since they have to work through it

stop worrying and start packing..

a cruise on the Noordam is something you don't want to miss

I have seen it happen before but it's amazing how you post something people don't like and they either minimize it or say it's an exaggeration... or how only the unseasoned and unprepared would not expect it or even not LIKE it.

The seas were 18 feet- how much time do you think we spent looking at the "Navigator's Log" or "Captain's Log" or "Report from the Bridge" on the TV? Especially after we lost ESPN? Force 10 gale winds etcetera. As the Captain himself said, not my imagination or exaggeration, we were in the midst of TWO weather systems and the seas were very disorganized. This led to the bumping and crunching we felt when we slammed back down. It was also the cause of the loud noises we heard below deck 5- fore- all night and the next day- waves crashing at us from the side. I think the aft people had a very different experience.

So as Captain Scott (New Zealander, BTW) himself said, not my imagination or exaggeration or rumors among the pax, 18 foot seas can be different depending on if they are relatively organized swells or what we had last week.

The main thing I kept thinking when things got hairy was that he was captain of the QE2 and she does many Transatlantic crossings. I mean, I'm sure it was about a 3 on a scale of 10 for the bridge, but it was good to remember his years of experience!!

As I said on another thread it wasn't me or DH I was worried about- not for one second. It was the massive amount of elderly people on board. You had to hang on to walls just to get to the bathroom- funny haha for me and DH- but the elderly had trouble. I saw so many people who were not the most able walkers being the lead person in the group! Two with walkers, one in a wheelchair, and a 75 year old being the point man.

I saw no smiles that day in the Lido. Jessica (Jessie and the HAL cats) has been in my house playing with my kids- she was obviously glad to see us and very frank with us- and she said it was the worst she has been through- and she signed on in October. Just want to make sure you all know that exaggeration or unreal expectations has no part in my posts at all.

That being said, for the 20th time I will say that I will absolutely 100% sail out of NYC in any month of the year again. Just did it last March- was it rough?- yes but not too bad. There is a difference between being "scared" for one's own life and limb and being exhausted from no sleep, the banging and shaking coming from nowhere and everywhere (the Lido pool has a drop ceiling running around the sides of the glass ceiling- when that took at bump it made the loudest, most startling popping noise/bang). Don't think I will book a cabin in the bow again, though.

It was "wheee!!!!" for us for the most part. Just very tiring.

I've sailed from NY and NJ several times now and have had incredibly smooth seas most of the time. The only rough time we had was our sailing on NCL Dawn in May '05. We had about 30 hours of very rough seas. It was so bad, we were 6 or so hours late returning to port. So, yeah, it can be uncomfortable for awhile but we never felt in danger. I just plan on packing plenty of Bonine and dvds for the kids. And we're booked in a cabin mid-ship on a low deck. I know it will all be good. So tell your family and friends to chill out and get ready to have a great time. Can't wait to meet you at the meet and greet, Susie.

As I've posted before, last February we had smooth sailing out of NYC-not a ripple.I feel terrible for recent cruisers and the interfering storms-but on a selfish note I'm hoping all this will be over and in 2 weeks the sea will be calm. I hope your family can calm down, although I don't blame them for their nervousness when I saw that photo of the Poiseiden posted the thought of cancelling went through my mind too??? I don't find it amusing..

I have been in really bad seas, I am getting older now, and I think common sense would tell me to stay put. Not to trot around too much, self presevation so to speak! I can't believe that really elderly and those that had walkers etc. did not have the brains to stay put and call for help from the front office. To my mind that is pretty stupid.

As you can tell by my screen name and signature, I have spent lots of time at sea in ships less than half that of Noordam. I've taken 40 degree rolls, watch the gun mount on the bow disappear in "Green" water, watched white water break over the bridge, and much more. Rough in my book is when I have to walk on the walls. Even on these ships, we diverted course away from the storm, not drive through it. You can bet your bottom dollar that Captain Scott will steer a course away from the worst of any weather and as Brian said earlier, Noordam is built to exceed far more punishment from the seas than any passenger would see. Here are some things to keep in mind while in high seas; put things away in your stateroom that you are not using, don't leave things laying about that could become "airborne" and injure someone. Relax and don't walk about if you can't seem to find your "Sea Leggs". If you do venture about, stay off the weather decks and use caution when walking. The ship does an average of 20 Knotts steaming to the Caribbean but will have to slow a bit if she encounters weather. You will move through it rather quickly. Best advise, enjoy your cruise!

We knew when we booked the Noordam for a February cruise that rough seas out of NYC could be part of the trip. But so could delays and problems with flying out of NYC in winter.

Someone on the board posted the website for Oceanweather.com and I've been looking at it recently on a daily basis. Beautiful looking blue when I looked 20 minutes ago as it has been for most of the last month and a half. So I'd prefer to believe that what people experienced recently was an anomoly. But I'm packing Bonnie just in case.

And thinking about those warm Caribbean waters and wonderful beaches.

Can't wait!

As you can tell by my screen name and signature, I have spent lots of time at sea in ships less than half that of Noordam. I've taken 40 degree rolls, watch the gun mount on the bow disappear in "Green" water, watched white water break over the bridge, and much more. Rough in my book is when I have to walk on the walls. Even on these ships, we diverted course away from the storm, not drive through it. You can bet your bottom dollar that Captain Scott will steer a course away from the worst of any weather and as Brian said earlier, Noordam is built to exceed far more punishment from the seas than any passenger would see. Here are some things to keep in mind while in high seas; put things away in your stateroom that you are not using, don't leave things laying about that could become "airborne" and injure someone. Relax and don't walk about if you can't seem to find your "Sea Leggs". If you do venture about, stay off the weather decks and use caution when walking. The ship does an average of 20 Knotts steaming to the Caribbean but will have to slow a bit if she encounters weather. You will move through it rather quickly. Best advise, enjoy your cruise!

You ever been on board when they had to throw out the sea anchors Navy Chief. Been on a yacht and had to do that, now that was what I call really scary, never did go offshore on a yacht again, that did finish me. Have passed yachts in the South Pacific when I have been on P & O heading north, my god they look so vunerable.

You ever been on board when they had to throw out the sea anchors Navy Chief. Been on a yacht and had to do that, now that was what I call really scary, never did go offshore on a yacht again, that did finish me. Have passed yachts in the South Pacific when I have been on P & O heading north, my god they look so vunerable.

Ugh - this is reminding me of when I was on a dive boat off Carmel Bay - this thing was heaving up and down so much I couldn't even look at the Clam Chowder they served for lunch...

...then it was "Victory at Sea" time as we retreated up the coast to Monterey Bay - I was looking around for the lifevests and couldn't believe that folks were "standing" around casually while the boat slammed and the waves crashed over the bow!

:eek:

I'll take 45 foot seas with Captain Scott aboard Noordam any day of the week before I go through 7 foot seas on a little 40-50' dive boat again!

The Noordam has been sailing for almost one full year now. How many reports of "perfect storm"-type seas have you read about her going through in that time? One? Two?

So, the odds are that your sailing will be as good as can be expected in the North Atlantic in Winter.

Oh, and if everyone in your party does cancel, why does it follow that you can't go? :confused:

Due to the recent posts of very rough seas in and out of New York, I have a few people in my party that I was not sharing this information with, for obvious reasons. As we know, CC is addicting, so they saw it for themselves! I would like to hear from anyone that can calm the fears of my family (who are ready to cancel, I might add!) Any reassurance would be helpful, ie: Even though there could be rough seas, what is the worst and best case scenerio.

Thank you all for your help, I really want to go on my trip in 17 days, and cannot go if they all cancel on me!

PS This is our 1st winter vacation, we have always cruised in the summer out of N.Y.

Susie....you can have rough seas in the summer too....don't cancel your cruise, you all will be missing out on a wonderful time, like I have said so many times on different threads....2 non drowsy Bonnine does the trick....I hope you have a great cruise..

Ugh - this is reminding me of when I was on a dive boat off Carmel Bay - this thing was heaving up and down so much I couldn't even look at the Clam Chowder they served for lunch...

...then it was "Victory at Sea" time as we retreated up the coast to Monterey Bay - I was looking around for the lifevests and couldn't believe that folks were "standing" around casually while the boat slammed and the waves crashed over the bow!

:eek:

I'll take 45 foot seas with Captain Scott aboard Noordam any day of the week before I go through 7 foot seas on a little 40-50' dive boat again!

I love your posts, Brian! You are a real gem...I mean that sincerely. When I see your name attached to a post, I always make sure to read it!

I'll be sure to let you know how we fare on the Noordam next week! I'm so looking forward to it...and to being captained by Captain Scott.

We've been through rough seas in our 22' C-Dory, so nothing can compare...I have my Bonine, Dramamine, and Ginger....so we should be all set! On top of that, I've never been seasick, so I'm not worried! :D

Sheila

Thanks again to all who responded :) The people on this board are always so helpful and willing to share! Shirley, I look forward to meeting you also! Navy Chief, Exactly how fast is 20 knotts? Can you compare it to miles, just wondering. Well, I have 16 days to go, and counting! I'm going to try and put all the fears to rest, and consentrate on having a great time. I will surely let you know my personal experience whan I return.

Happy Cruising,

Susie

You can have rough seas anywhere, at any time, so what good does it do to worry about it. Like a pilot, the Captain will do his very best to divert the worst of it, as they do for air turbulance. The worst that could happen is you take a tumble or get knocked in the head by something of your own in the cabin. Read and reread navy_chief's post for safety precautions.

Now go and have the time of your lives.

We never used a Sea Anchor underway. Keep in mind, these ships were a tad bigger than yachts; just for perspective, here are some statistics to compare:

Knox Class Fast Frigate:

Displacement: 4,200 tons (full load)

Length: 438 feet

Beam: 47 feet

Max Speed: 27 knots

Leahy Class Guided Missile Cruiser:

Displacement: 7,800 tons full load

Length: 547 ft

Beam: 55 ft

Speed: 30+ knots

Nimitz Class Aircraft Carrier:

Length overall: 1,092 feet

Flight Deck Width: 252 feet

Beam: 134 feet

Displacement Approx. 97,000 tons full load

Speed 30+ knots (34.5+ miles per hour)

Vista Class Cuise Ship:

Gross Tonnage: 82,500

Length: 950 feet

Beam: 106 feet

Maximum speed: 24 knots

Navy Chief, Exactly how fast is 20 knotts? Can you compare it to miles, just wondering.

Susie, a speed of 20 Knotts is roughly 23 Miles per Hour. If you leave the pier in NYC at say 5PM, it will be about say 7PM before you make open waters. At 20 Knotts, by 7AM, you will be off the coast roughly at the Virginia/North Carolina border. By 7AM on day 2 you will be off Port Canaveral FL. Here's a link to a web page that shows the speed conversions: http://www.disastercenter.com/convert.htm

Have a great cruise!

The Noordam has been sailing for almost one full year now. How many reports of "perfect storm"-type seas have you read about her going through in that time? One? Two?

So, the odds are that your sailing will be as good as can be expected in the North Atlantic in Winter.

Oh, and if everyone in your party does cancel, why does it follow that you can't go? :confused:

But if you CAN'T go, can I have your tickets? I just got off the dam ship, I had the stormy weather, and I would get on her- I would race up the gangway- I would leave the kids alone and miss all court appearances for ten days just to be in your lucky shoes!

Archived