Whats in a name?

QueenieGirl

In the docs I just received for our 3/10 "O" cruise, they call it Leisure Dining. If you have early dining you have to arrive by 6:00, late dining you have to arrive by 8:00, no mention of anytime dining. I requested a table for 2 early as my husband is handicapped and prefers a table for 2. My docs say waitlisted, so I'm a little concerned as I hate having to wait in line to speak to the "Dining Chief".

Any ideas?

There seems to be a lot of confusion about dining on the Oosterdam. Please allow me to take a stab at it (it'll either add to the confusion or relief some of the pain):

For most of 2006, Oosterdam was running an evaluation of a new dining concept that they called "Leisure Dining Service". It basically involved having two dining windows, one between 5:30 PM and 6:00 PM and one between 8:00 PM and 9:00 PM. Guests could show up anytime between the listed windows to dine; no reservations were needed; the table you were assigned to you upon embarkation would be your table for the remainder of your cruise (and so would your diningroom staff) and presumably/hopefully your tablemates (unless anyone presented annoying habits on a semi-regular basis:rolleyes: ).

That particular evaluation ("Leisure Dining Service") ended on Oosterdam with the New Years cruise of 30 DEC 06 - 06 JAN 07. Starting with the 06 JAN 07 cruise, Oosterdam initiated a brand spanking new "expiriment" aka evaluation of a dining program they call "As you wish dining"

"As you wish dining" (also done on Noordam - all eleven of the other dam ships stuck/are sticking with traditional dining) involves basically two different options: a "traditional" dining experience on the Upper level of the dining room (deck 3), fixed times with an early seating of 6:15 PM and a late seating of 8:00 PM. No reservations, same table, same tablemates, same staff, same channel. Be on time or a can of whoop a$$ will be opened by the Maitre 'd!:eek:

The second option of that expiriment is an "open" seating in the Lower level of the Vista that runs between 5:15 PM and 9:30 PM. The guest has the option of showing up at any time between that window and choose whatever table is available, i.e a table for two, four, eight, ten, etc. There might be a wait time when the particular table you want is still occupied in which case the guest could be issued a pager:eek: a la Macaroni Grill and/or Outback restaurants on shore. With this option, you are not guaranteed the same table, the same faces (with the exception of your spouse/significant other and that might be a good thing or not a day at the beach;) ) and/or the same wait staff. However you can also make a reservation ahead of time requesting a certain table (those reservations have to be in by 3:00 PM the day of the feeding)

Now then, where the plot thickens (hoping for some help from current - this week - Oosterdam cruisers here) is that one of our own (Ekerr) received word from her TA that the "As you wish dining" on Oosterdam concluded around the latter part of January and that the Lower level of the Vista diningroom is also back to traditional dining. Hope to get that confirmed and/or denied soon!

Regardless, no worries mates! Let's continue to enjoy our cruise vacations and remember.....................................don't sweat the small stuff! It is known to give you hemorrhoids which opens up a whole other can, the one with worms in it!

"As you wish dining" (also done on Noordam -

Close, but no cigar.

"As you wish" hasn't been done on the Noordam. At least not yet.

The Leisure Dining was extended to the Noordam and continues (AFAIK).

The rest of your explanation is how I understand it also.

Close, but no cigar.

"As you wish" hasn't been done on the Noordam. At least not yet.

The Leisure Dining was extended to the Noordam and continues (AFAIK).

The rest of your explanation is how I understand it also.

Then I stand corrected in front of you Ma'am as it relates to Noordam:o

Archived