why would someone buy...

clm101798

No different from people who collect hotel key cards. Usually, the key card has a design or picture on it that identifies the card as unique to the issuer. It's the same for most cruise ship key cards. As with most collectibles, for some people it's a nice memento, a bit of nostalgia that reminds them of a good time. For other collectors, there's a hope that one day it will be worth something.

Buy it + write the date of your upcoming surprise cruise on it ~ then put it a box + wrap it = your Pearl Cruise gift wrapped

.... "Oh, I just got you a little something Honey"

later that same year .... "Dear, what is this car keycahin for?"

I WISH

Old Faithful

make it work ...

use the computer to print an address label - you would still be able to see the ship name and instead of another person's name the address label would show the "gift cruise"

I think it's a great idea. Maybe I could drop a hint for something like this from DH for Valentines Day. HA!!!

I'm surprised someone got it off the ship. When we cruised on NCL in August 2006, you had to turn your keycard in when you got off the ship in Boston.

That's odd because I still have the key cards from my last three NCL cruises. It looks like this is another one of their inconsistent policies.

I'm surprised someone got it off the ship. When we cruised on NCL in August 2006, you had to turn your keycard in when you got off the ship in Boston.

I know the Majesty is older (and I haven't sailed her). On old Royal Caribbean ship I sailed the key card was separate from the charge card (the key card was one of those old heavy ones with several holes punched in them). Might this also be the case on the Majesty?

Only reason I ask is that the newer cards all seem to have the name of the user printed on them (as well as the sailing date) so they aren't suitable to be reused so I doubt the cruise line would want them back (btw-I found the ebay auction being referenced and this is a card from the Pearl). To me, the new cards make great souvenirs! I attach a magnet to the back and they all end up on our refrigerator.

-Monte

I know the Majesty is older (and I haven't sailed her). On old Royal Caribbean ship I sailed the key card was separate from the charge card (the key card was one of those old heavy ones with several holes punched in them). Might this also be the case on the Majesty?-Monte

They are "all-in-one" but I agree that it has to do with the age of the ship. There are no holes, but I'm thinking that the locks can't be changed/programmed each week. So if I sail in a particular room I would have access to that room in the future.

My niece who is special needs got seperated from her family while in St. George's. They were doing shopping and she wandered off. She is mildly mentally challenged so it wasn't an end of the world panic. Her mother went to the ship and tried to describe her. They were able to simply check to see if she was back on via the swiping system so in that way, the cards could be used to check for debarkation.

I did read on another thread that one of the other line's older ships collected the cards upon embarkation. People's reactions were pretty funny. I like to collect mine so was pretty disappointed on the Majesty, but certainly not enough to make some kind of scene.

I actually wondered about this. We just got off of the Majesty, and when we did immigration on the ship, they punched a small i in our cards after going through. As I was looking at this, I was thinking that someone who wants to sneak through this procedure may be able to use this card somehow. I never could; my mind doesn't think that way. But I bet someone could...

Shay

Last week we kept our keycards when signing out of Spirit. It would be quite easy for the program they use as a reader to invalidate the card upon the last swipe out, so no fear of using them to gain access to the ship again later. OTOH, if you did have another keycard, after gaining access to the ship by using a valid card you could conceivably use the invalid access card to probably get into the room it had been assigned to. Sounds like a lot of trouble and expense to me just to do that, though.

Teri

On our last cruise, November 2006, not on NCL, our cards were taken from us as we left the ship in Ft. Lauderdale. (They were collected by immigration, not the ship)

We were told that Homeland Security now requires it so no one can attempt to sneak back on a ship.

We did not like the fact that our names and cabin numbers were on the cards as anyone finding them could go to our cabin and get in. We also had two incidents of bartenders returning the wrong card with the charge slip.

Strange how NCL is inconsistent with their ships: some let the pax keep their cards, and some don't.

We cruised Majesty in January 07, and I have both of my cards right now. They have our names on them, our latitudes level, the ship phone number, the disembark date, and the muster station. And, they have the little i punched in the middle.

Shay

Maybe I could sell them...

I'd be concerned because there is some of your information in the magnetic strip.

They say the idea that your credit card info is on the key is an urban legend, but recently at a High Tech Crime Investigation Conference in Lake Tahoe, the speaker asked for volunteers and pulled their credit card info out of their key cards.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/10/travel_hotel_keys.html

I definitely wouldn't sell it on EBay!

On our last cruise, November 2006, not on NCL, our cards were taken from us as we left the ship in Ft. Lauderdale. (They were collected by immigration, not the ship)

We were told that Homeland Security now requires it so no one can attempt to sneak back on a ship....

This is another in a long line of foolish things. Before somebody calls me un American....

First, if I wanted to sneak aboard, I could just tell the purser I lost my card and get another one. People do this all the time. Duh!

But more important, if anyone thinks the system is that shoddy, we have a much bigger problem. The reality is, each passenger is coded for a certain cruise. You are not about to get off and get right back on. Gee, otherwise lots of us would be taking free cruises and hanging out in the buffet line all night. Duh!

Archived