AA Valet - Weight Limits?

After all we've heard, my family & I are convinced that we want to use the RCCL Valet/AA Valet service to check our bags at the Port of Miami, rather than lugging them to the airport.

I'm wondering if the bags will be weighed at the port as they are at the airport. It's not easy to keep a big bag under 50 lbs. Do I need to bring my scale with me so that I can balance out the weight?

In the past I know that some airlines made exceptions to the 50 lb. weight limitation for cruise customers. Now that they're charging for anything in excess of 50 lbs., do they still let you have a bit extra when you've been on a cruise? (We're on a 2 week cruise, so we do have a lot of luggage.)

I'd love to hear from someone who's had recent experience with this.

Thanks!

After all we've heard, my family & I are convinced that we want to use the RCCL Valet/AA Valet service to check our bags at the Port of Miami, rather than lugging them to the airport.

I'm wondering if the bags will be weighed at the port as they are at the airport. It's not easy to keep a big bag under 50 lbs. Do I need to bring my scale with me so that I can balance out the weight?

In the past I know that some airlines made exceptions to the 50 lb. weight limitation for cruise customers. Now that they're charging for anything in excess of 50 lbs., do they still let you have a bit extra when you've been on a cruise? (We're on a 2 week cruise, so we do have a lot of luggage.)

I'd love to hear from someone who's had recent experience with this.

Thanks!

Not sure if they weigh the bags at the pier..at the airport our bags were about 53 or 55 lbs. each..no extra charge.

If you use the valet service it's a limit of 2 bags per person.

I was on the Navigator during Christmas and New Years and we used the airline service for American Airlines. The porter brought our luggage to the AA rep at the pier and put it with the other luggage. No they did not weight our luggage.

Thanks for all the great responses! From those with recent personal experience, it sounds like my bags will NOT be weighed if I check them at the port.

Another quick question: I will be keeping a carry-on-type suitcase in my room for the last night. Will I be able to add this to the rest of my bags at the pier? I'd like to check it with the rest of my bags. I'll need to claim my bags at the pier before giving them to the valet, won't I? I'm hoping I can add an extra bag at this point. (We still will have only 2 bags per person, as I know this is the limit when using the luggage valet service.)

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!

When we used the AA service on our Vision cruise, we did not have to claim our bags on the pier. They went straight through to the airport and then onto our plane back to Dallas. (That was, to us, a real joy!) We kept our carryons with us.

One of our bags was marked with an overweight sticker when we picked it up in Dallas, but we were not charged anything extra.

Thanks for all the great responses! From those with recent personal experience, it sounds like my bags will NOT be weighed if I check them at the port.

Another quick question: I will be keeping a carry-on-type suitcase in my room for the last night. Will I be able to add this to the rest of my bags at the pier? I'd like to check it with the rest of my bags. I'll need to claim my bags at the pier before giving them to the valet, won't I? I'm hoping I can add an extra bag at this point. (We still will have only 2 bags per person, as I know this is the limit when using the luggage valet service.)

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!

This is exactly what we did. I put all of our luggage out the night before except one bag. I kept my smallest suitcase with me and then packed all of our toiletries into it in the morning, since there is a liquid ban on planes. We used the AA valet service for $10 per person. We were in Miami, and we had to claim our bags at the carousel and take them over to the AA counter, so I just gave them my small one too at that time. I feel sure that two of my bags were over 50 pounds (as they were exactly 50 when we left home, and we bought stuff while we were gone that I rammed in there too). We were never told anything about them being overweight.

The AA valet service was the way to go!! There was a HUGE line at the AA check-in counter at the airport, and we were able to bypass all of that and go straight to our gate.:)

Thanks for all the info. Vicki & KelJ, it sounds like you each had a different experience. Since I'm coming into the Port of Miami, I'm hoping that things will still be as they were when you were there, KelJ. I will need to check my "carry-on" that I'll keep in our room the last night of the cruise. It will have liquids in it, so it won't be allowed as carry-on. I guess I'll find out for sure on the ship.

Archived