Where is the BEST BEACH for the day

rucruizin

If we don't want to take a tour, and just want to hit it to a beach...where whould we go?

I like to do a little shopping at the islands...where are the shops in proximity to the port?

Last time we were there, we were the first one's off the ship, got off the excursion cat and got back on the ship. Didn't see much of St Kitts, except as we sailed away.

There are many nice beaches on St. Kitts.

The closest to Port Zante is South Frigate Bay. Next is South Friars (over the hill), then Cockleshell (down the southeast peninsula) and lastely is Turtle Beach.

There are a few shops located at Port Zante (lots of jewellery stores!), then a five minute walk is Pelican Mall and then located near the Circus is Island Hopper and down the street is the TDC Mall.

• 2 months later...

Can anybody tell me which beach is most likely to not be too crowded? And I saw something on another thread about massages, which beach is this at? I am leaning towards going to Turtle Beach but I am not sure. I am also curious of how much it will cost 6 of us to take a taxi there? I get worried about having someone come back to pick us up. Has anyone heard of their taxi not coming back? And how hard is it to get a taxi at Turtle Beach back to the port? So many questions...

Can anybody tell me which beach is most likely to not be too crowded? And I saw something on another thread about massages, which beach is this at? I am leaning towards going to Turtle Beach but I am not sure. I am also curious of how much it will cost 6 of us to take a taxi there? I get worried about having someone come back to pick us up. Has anyone heard of their taxi not coming back? And how hard is it to get a taxi at Turtle Beach back to the port? So many questions...

The beaches that are not crowded (especially when a cruise ship is in port) is South Friars and Cockleshell/Banana Bay.

You will find massages on Turtle Beach and South Frigate Bay.

You should contact Thenford Grey at thenang06@yahoo.com regarding rates and to arrange a pick up and drop off.

There are phones at Turtle Beach, but it is better to have your return trip pre-arranged.

I have posted taxi rates on another posting.

We were in St. Kitts the first week of April, and we loved the island so much that dh and I have decided to return sometime in the near future to stay on the island itself for a few days!

We were cruising with our two young kids, and since St. Kitts was towards the end of our 11-nigh cruise, the kids were all "toured" out, so we decided to just hit a beach for the day. Our waiter recommended the "beach by the Marriott," which turned out to be South Frigate's Bay, and the taxi cost $10 each way for the four of us. (Note: Make sure you know the cost beforehand. Our driver on the way back tried to charge us $15, but we corrected him, and he grudgingly agreed, and there went his tip! :D )

We got to the beach around 9:30 am and it was practically empty. We got two lounge chairs and an umbrella for $8 (compared to $30 for two chairs and an umbrella in Aruba), and you are able to bargain for everything ... even the beer. The initial offer for the beer was $2 per bottle, but we and everyone around us were able to bargain down to $1 per bottle.

The beach was lovely, and the views were fantastic. Beware of the sand, however -- it can get EXTREMELY hot! Also, watch out for the people walking around offering to give you massages. Most are very nice and will walk away if you tell them no, but there was this one young man who insisted on giving a woman sitting near us a leg massage -- even though she kept saying no. He insisted, and then demanded payment, and when she refused (she had said no, after all) he called her names and walked off.

We spent about four hours at the beach, and even by early afternoon, with two ships in port, the beach did not get crowded at all. There were people around, but plenty of space to spread out for everyone. About 20 minutes before leaving the beach, we asked the proprietor (who had rented us the chairs and had a bar by the beach) to call a cab for us, and he did so promptly. There was no trouble finding transportation back at all. Taxi ride was about 10 minutes each way to/from the pier.

The shopping area near the pier was very nice and it was fun to walk around the city streets. Prices were very good, compared to the other islands we had been to on the cruise.

Overall, a lovely day was had by all in St. Kitts. We are looking forward to returning. I took some pics of the beach as well -- let me know if you are interested!

Linda

We were in St. Kitts the first week of April, and we loved the island so much that dh and I have decided to return sometime in the near future to stay on the island itself for a few days!

We were cruising with our two young kids, and since St. Kitts was towards the end of our 11-nigh cruise, the kids were all "toured" out, so we decided to just hit a beach for the day. Our waiter recommended the "beach by the Marriott," which turned out to be South Frigate's Bay, and the taxi cost $10 each way for the four of us. (Note: Make sure you know the cost beforehand. Our driver on the way back tried to charge us $15, but we corrected him, and he grudgingly agreed, and there went his tip! :D )

We got to the beach around 9:30 am and it was practically empty. We got two lounge chairs and an umbrella for $8 (compared to $30 for two chairs and an umbrella in Aruba), and you are able to bargain for everything ... even the beer. The initial offer for the beer was $2 per bottle, but we and everyone around us were able to bargain down to $1 per bottle.

The beach was lovely, and the views were fantastic. Beware of the sand, however -- it can get EXTREMELY hot! Also, watch out for the people walking around offering to give you massages. Most are very nice and will walk away if you tell them no, but there was this one young man who insisted on giving a woman sitting near us a leg massage -- even though she kept saying no. He insisted, and then demanded payment, and when she refused (she had said no, after all) he called her names and walked off.

We spent about four hours at the beach, and even by early afternoon, with two ships in port, the beach did not get crowded at all. There were people around, but plenty of space to spread out for everyone. About 20 minutes before leaving the beach, we asked the proprietor (who had rented us the chairs and had a bar by the beach) to call a cab for us, and he did so promptly. There was no trouble finding transportation back at all. Taxi ride was about 10 minutes each way to/from the pier.

The shopping area near the pier was very nice and it was fun to walk around the city streets. Prices were very good, compared to the other islands we had been to on the cruise.

Overall, a lovely day was had by all in St. Kitts. We are looking forward to returning. I took some pics of the beach as well -- let me know if you are interested!

Linda

Hey Linda:

Glad you enjoyed your day in St. Kitts! I would love to see your photos, if you can post them or e-mail them to me at liz.pereira@marlintravel.ca

I too enjoy "liming" on South Frigate Bay. I usually hang out at Mr. X's Shiggidy Shack. http://www.mrxshiggidyshack.com

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Liz, thats great to know. What is the best way to get there? I am assuming that there are taxis at the pier, would that be our best bet?

Thanks,

Kim

You can either take a cab from Port Zante to Mr. X. Mr. X also has a water taxi from Port Zante to South Frigate Bay.

• 2 weeks later...

Linda

Hi Linda,

I would love to see your pics of the beach !! Could you email them to me when you get a chance. kspurrell@ns.sympatico.ca

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Linda, Your review was exactly what I was looking for! If you get a chance, please email me your pictures @ gcmsmom@yahoo.com

We're sailing Oct. 20 on the Crown Princess and since we've been to St. Kitts before (although it WAS 23 years ago!) we just wanted a beach. Some of the pictures and descriptions (as well as our memories of the beaches) show it as rocky.

Thanks, Terri

• 2 months later...

Loved your pics. We are going to St Kitts on a cruise in February. We were there 11 years ago on a Windjammer Tall Ship, like the one in your pic, called the Fantome. Also went to Nevis, and had a lobster lunch and I think the drink was called "Killerbees" at Sunshines. Even though the beautiful Fantome sank in Hurricane Mitch, I'm glad to see Sunshines is still there.

Loved your pics. We are going to St Kitts on a cruise in February. We were there 11 years ago on a Windjammer Tall Ship, like the one in your pic, called the Fantome. Also went to Nevis, and had a lobster lunch and I think the drink was called "Killerbees" at Sunshines. Even though the beautiful Fantome sank in Hurricane Mitch, I'm glad to see Sunshines is still there.

Glad you enjoyed the pics. Our first trip to St. Kitts was a cruise stop Feb. 2006 aboard Celebrity's Constellation. Loved it so much we returned for a one week land vacation. Am currently reading about the plight of the Fantome in the book "The Ship and the Storm".

This past Feb we had the opportunity to try a "Killerbee"....Yummy!

Which beach is the closest, has beach chairs to rent, soft sand and isn't too rough? We've been there before, but I can't remember. Thanks.

I'd say S. Frigate Bay near Mr. X's. Nice sand and calm Caribbean water. Great collection of beach bars.

I'd say S. Frigate Bay near Mr. X's. Nice sand and calm Caribbean water. Great collection of beach bars.

That's correct. This is the closest beach to Port Zante and you can visit the many fun beach bars (Mr. X's Shiggidy Shack, Monkey Bar, Ziggy's, Inon's) while enjoying a cold Carib or rum punch! :)

You can rent water sport equipment at Dave's located next to The Shiggidy Shack as well as lounge chairs.

This beach gets very busy when a cruise ship is in port.

BTW, Mr. X has a water taxi that will take you from Port Zante to his beach bar and back to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Liz,

Do you live in St. Kitts?

How much is Mr. X's water taxi from the port and back? How often does it run? We'll be in St. Kitts' on Sunday, Nov 18th from 12 noon till 6 pm. That doesn't give us much time so I decided to spend it at one of the beaches.

South Frigate bay sounds nice and so does Cockleshell Beach.

It sounds like South Frigate is closer to the port, am I right? How far is Cockleshell? Are any of the beaches good for snorkeling?

In your opinion, do you think it's better to take the water taxi or a land taxi?

Appreciate any advice.......

Beachbuddy

Archived