Sweet smell in the air in Skagway

WvW

For several seasons I have been calling weekly in Skagway. The strongest memory I have about that place is the smell in the air right after we docked.

If you would walk on the outside decks in the morning there was a very strong sweet smell in the air, like honey. Later on the day, when the wind would pitch up, it dissapeared. Every week I noticed it again.

Has anybody else noticed this? Any idea what this is? It is a great experience. That fresh, early-morning Alaskan air mixed with honey flavor.

For everybody cruising in Alaska the upcoming season and calling in Skagway, write this down as "things not to miss". Get out on the decks in the morning and just smell the air!!

WvW.jpg.f2b4bc716f46f23bcf28875924c896b6.jpg

I love Skagway....the look of the town, the small shops, the rugged scenery. When you walk or drive around the area, you can really picture what it must have been like in the Gold Rush days. Can't say that I ever noticed the sweet smelling air, though. Something to check out the next time.

Nope, nobody has convinced me yet.

It is definately not the smell of a bakery. The smelly is too "flower-ly" for that. I always assumed there must be large flowerfields around or honey bees producing nectar.

Maybe some people cruising to Alaska this summer should keep it in mind and try to experience it themselves. Walk outside onto the open decks and smell the early morning air.

It is my strongest memory of close to 40 calls in total to skagway.

(Yeah, I hear you: after 40 call's, I should know)

When I was in Skagway this past September, I was enamored with the Wild Rose (rugosa) plants that were blooming between the dock and the park on the nearby point. I don't remember noticing the fragrance from a distance, but it really was a wonderful fragrance up close.

Statendam - Alaska 9/06

Archived