Our First Cruise: Trying to make a decision.

ph2000

Hi,

First time here and getting ready to book our first cruise. Since we don't fly we are used to train travel, which can be a bit of work. But it was time for something easier, more comfortable, which afforded some rest time before getting off and checking out the sites.

Since we want to leave and return to New York (we live in NYC), we decided to do Caribbean cruise. We decided to go around November (maybe late) of this year - trying to avoid hurricanes as much as possible. Which brings me to the quesion one:

Time of year: Octobers out - would it be better to go in November or early December (late December is out for us).

We are deciding between the Noordam and the QM2 (This is the Holland America forum but it seems that a lot of people have taken both and I don't want to be cross posting).

There were some specific questions:

How are the medical facilities on the Noordam? I've read that the are excellent on the QM2. Not that we have any specific needs, we don't.

Even with an early booking rate on the QM2 - It seems like we could get a somewhat better room on the Noordam for an equivalent price. Does that sound correct?

Does anyone (unfortunately) have experience with the Noordam on rough seas? (Actually my wife did take a cruise about 40 years ago and the weather was bad - dishes flying off the tables bad).

Is there anyway to compare the on ship costs between the two (IE: Using the spa.)? I would expect the QM2 to be more - but is it? We would like to keep as much for site seeing as possible.

Does anyone have experience with port tours book on the ships? Doesn't need to be detailed. Just are they worth it, get them somewhere else or make your own tour.

What is the cancellation policy with Holland America? (Again, we plan for the worst)

I've read through a lot of reviews and they can swing wildly either way. Both ships average out about the same. My wife leans towards the QM2 because of reputation (and partly the QE2 reputation). We had planned to take the QM2 over to Southampton but, without flying, the round trip cost was a bit pricey and that's before running around England. So, we are putting that on hold until we can take the time to really make it worthwhile.

I am leaning toward the Noordam - it's seems newer - I think the room will be somewhat larger - and my guess is that we will have more in common with other passengers.

For various reasons we really need to have a good vacation to look forward to - so we are a tad anxious. Granted, we can't plan the weather and there is no telling until we take the cruise but we will try to cover the bases.

Many thanks. You've already provided a lot of information here.

Paul

Paul -

Having been on both ships, I would choose Noordam without hesitation. As I have said in previous threads, we were unimpressed with QM2 and had our best cruise ever on Noordam. That said, I will try to be objective. Someone made a point of differentiating beween a cruise ship (Noordam) and an ocean liner (QM2). QM2 was designed for transatlantic service and is probably better equipped to handle bad weather. However, because of her deep draft, she is unable to dock in most (or at least some) Caribbean ports. At least that is what I have read. I suggest you try to find some QM2 reviews of sailings to the Caribbean. Otherwise you may be comparing apples to oranges.

As far as medical facilities, both are newer ships and both owned by Carnival, so I would assume the medical facilities are comparable.

I don't think there is much difference between Novermber and early December in relation to the weather. We had good weather on our Noordam cruise in mid-December, and terrible weather on our Brilliance of the Seas cruise in early December. You just never know.

As far as price, I have no doubt that you will get more cabin for your money on Noordam. We found the food as good or better on Noordam and the service was impeccable.

HAL Cancellation Policy - See this link: http://www.hollandamerica.com/guests/category.do?category=cancellations&topic=cancellationBerkely

We have been to most of these ports so many times, we only take an excursion when it is one we particularly enjoy, or if there is one which interests us that we have not done before. Some port times are limited on Noordam's cruises, so we feel it is safer to take the ship's excursion rather than doing it on our own. It is generally more expensive, but to us it is worth it knowing that the ship will not leave without us if the unexpected happens.

I hope I have been of some help. BTW we will be on Noordam 12/1/2007. :D

Hi Paul,

I can't answer your questions, because I have not been on either the Noordam or the QM2. However, I sailed with HAL on the Zaandam to Hawaii a month ago, and was very pleased with everything about it! Regarding medical facilities, on the Zaandam my mother had occasion to use them :( and I thought the facilities and the staff were great. The staff (especially the head nurse) took great care of her, gave her a cardiogram immediately and followed up later in the day to make sure everything was okay.

In fact, I had such a good time, that I booked the Noordam for November 10 this year, and invite you to sail with us. We have a roll call started on this thread NOORDAM-Nov. 10, 2007. Hope to see you in November!

Bonnie

As you are planning your cruise, I would encourage you to consider purchasing trip insurance. The best way, IMO, is to visit http://www.insuremytrip.com where you can enter your cruise information then select from numerous policies from different companies side by side. This insurance is an affordable peace of mind should something happen.

If you decide to take HAL, I would recomend their Platinum protection plan. You can cancels up to 24 hours before you go for any reason (don't need to give one) and will get back 90% of cruise cost (not including the insurance) right on your credit card.

I checked on "insuemytrip", even e-mailed them and there were only two insurers with trip canelation, and they were at 25% (not 10%). Note that we still work so have medical, so you still need to compare the medical portion covered by HAL's thirs party vs others.

I understand about not wanting to fly and you want to go out of NY for a cruise in the Caribbean. Personally I would take a train down to Ft. Lauderdale or Mimi because the seas out of NY can be kind of rough at times, especially coming back up from the Caribbean. I think you are the safest on hurricanes and such traveling in November or early December. You also will get some great pricing on cruises around the first of December. I would take the Noordam, its a great ship, cheaper then the QE2, and I think you'll just like it better. Both ships can handled rough seas. Your going to get more value for you money on the Noordam, just my opinion!

Thanks for the replies.

We have to go over pros and cons this weekend.

I'm just sick of trains right now - which is why we want to go out of NY. Will have to rish the waves.

It seems like it can be a bit of a crap shoot whatever ship we take - weather, the crew, computer gliches... you never know.

Our travel agent didn't help - she first said that HAL would probably be a better deal and she thought it would be fine then the 'cruise person' in her office said she was disappointed with her trip on HAL (not sure if it was the same ship) as compared to the QM2 but the people with her all enjoyed it (first time cruisers).

Paul

Hello Paul,

We have sailed both the Noordam and the QM2 - and hit rough seas/storms on both ships!

Most of your questions have been answered, but we will add a few comments.

The QM2 does handle the seas better than the Noordam, she is an ocean liner not a cruise ship, and is over 50% larger than the Noordam on a tonnage basis. Due to her design, the QM2 has a deeper draft, and can't dock at all ports. Her fall/winter itinerary out of New York next year includes 5 ports - and she docks in Barbados and St.Kitts, not sure about St. Lucia. She tenders in Tortola and St. Thomas right to downtown which is very nice! The Noordam will probably dock at all ports. One thing to remember about the Noordam - first and last ports are half days because she need the extra time to make it back and forth from New York. The QM2 port days are all full days, due to the increased speed at which she can travel.

The QM2 has a higher staff to passenger ratio, but we found the Holland America staff to be superior in most areas. Another thing to keep in mind, the QM2 is smoker friendly, while the Noordam has designated smoking areas. We found the QM2 very smoky. Cough! Cough!

As for entertainment and "live" music, the QM2 wins. You can't beat the Commodore Club for pre-dinner martinis!

Concerning value for your money, if you are going to book an inside, oceanview or balcony cabin, we think that the Noordam is the best deal. However, if you are considering a suite, Cunard has many extras that the Noordam does not offer. Dining is one area that is very important. Suite passengers on the QM2 have their own restaurant, with a "come anytime" private table, fantastic service, and a terrific menu (with additional a-la-carte menu). We would eat all three meals a day here - wonderful! For this reason alone, if booking a suite, we feel the QM2 has more value for the money.

Let us know what you decide, we are in a similar dilemma, either booking the December 1st Noordam (balcony cabin) or November 30th QM2 (suite).

Cheers!

Alan and Anne

ph2000 ... we have been on both ships and prefer the Noordam 100% more than the QM2. We found the crew and staff of HAL ships much more congenial and more attentive than Cunard ships. We used to only go on CUNARD (over 200 days on the QEII alone in addition to cruises on their Caronia and QM2) but switched over to HAL in 2003. We will be going on our 10th HAL cruise (over 150 days on her ships) on 3/20 on the Noordam and have just booked a Panama Canal trip on her again in September (that will make 3 cruises on her in 18 months). So you can tell we are partial to the Noordam.

Cunard ships still have the class system so, of course, if you book a balcony you will be eating in the Princess Grill and have many other amenities that the lower class cruisers do not receive. Now, we prefer to go on ships that do not have the class system.

I guess it is a matter of how much you want to spend. We are frugal so we don't get a veranda on HAL (and have many times had an inside stateroom). In this way we can go on 3-4 cruises a year.

We are New Yorkers who also don't like to fly too much anymore. There are a lot of great cruises out of San Diego which we have done. If you like traveling by train you can take a nice trip across our country and take cruises to Hawaii, South Pacific, Mexican Riviera, etc. We are railroad fans as well - in fact in the fall of 2005 we went down to Mexico on the msRYNDAM and took the trip to the Copper Canyon. HAL does a "FANTASTIC" job with the canyon tour and we highly recommend it to you.

I don't know if this would have any effect on your plans, but Hanukkah starts at sundown on Tuesday, December 4th this year. This might change the number of kids on board, the number of people taking the early December cruises, or even the ability of one of your neighbors or friends to watch the house, feed the dog, water the plants, etc.!

Hope you have a relaxing cruise.

Lot's of good information -

Hanukkah? Hmmm, would that mean more or less children?

I doubt we could do a suite on the QM2 - Balcony but not a suite. So, we wouldn't be in the (better?) special dining rooms.

Port: After reading up on the ports the ones which the Norrdam stop at (the two different ones) actually sound a little more interesting than the two different ones that the QM2 stop at. - Our Travel Agent didn't think that was true (although a friend, who has been there, thought we were correct) and the agent feels the ship is more important.

The QM2 not being able to dock at some of the ports is a bit of a negative for us as is their (slightly) more formal requirements. Our 'style' would probably fall between the too (based only on what we know). And we aren't smokers.

Having said that - we are still on the fence. My wife really leans to the QM2.

The weekend ends with our agent checking out what's available for those dates - prices - any specials she can dig up for either. So we'll wait to hear from her then make a decision.

Thanks for providing some feedback on this. I tell you how it turns out.

Paul

I can't see what difference Hanukkah makes. Even religious schools don't have off for this holiday and parents don't take kids out of school for a 10 or 11 day cruise. There won't be that many kids on a cruise around then.

We just came back from a cruise on the Noordam and loved everything about it.

Well, it looks like we will be going on the Noordam - Dec. 1st/11 day Cruise.

Even the travel agent was overwhelmed by the variety of opinions about each ship.

Now we will just need to worry about the room. She quoted us a rate for a VD class room (on par with other quotes) but the bottom line is not getting a room that will, in some way, be badly located. - It's seems like that is partly luck of the draw, when it's assigned. I'm not sure why she had the quote for the VD - maybe the rest are booked up (already?).

If there are any absolute 'don't get a room in this location' suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks again for your help.

Paul

Well, it looks like we will be going on the Noordam - Dec. 1st/11 day Cruise.

Even the travel agent was overwhelmed by the variety of opinions about each ship.

Now we will just need to worry about the room. She quoted us a rate for a VD class room (on par with other quotes) but the bottom line is not getting a room that will, in some way, be badly located. - It's seems like that is partly luck of the draw, when it's assigned. I'm not sure why she had the quote for the VD - maybe the rest are booked up (already?).

If there are any absolute 'don't get a room in this location' suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks again for your help.

Paul

Paul -

I don't know why she quoted you a VD. The ship is wide open for the most part...plenty of rooms in other classes. Some of the VD rooms have showers only (no bathtub). Did she quote you a guarantee (same price)? If not, there is no reason why you can't select your stateroom immediately.

At any rate, we are glad you will be joining us and please join our roll call (see my signature below).

I mean the actual room number. I go to the HAL website and enter info as if I was booking to see what catagories are available. I then call or e-mail our TA and ask her for pricing on those categories. She gives me the pricing (including taxes and port charges) and once I pick a category she tells me which cabins are available. I check them against the deck plan on the web site and then I pick one and she books us in that cabin.

- Steve

Wow - quick reply. Thanks.

"there is no reason why you can't select your stateroom immediately."

Do you mean the room type or the specific room number and deck it is on?

Thks

Paul

Those big travel sites will actually give you the room numbers available to book when you pick a category. And it'll pop up a deck plan that shows where the cabin is located. I always look on there for cabin availability before calling my TA.

Archived