Cruise Critic Board on board party

Bo'sun Hank

Has anyone ever set up a party for your CC Board mates on board? Sailing Princess in April and would like to set up a little come and go/meet and greet party for our board members. CC has a partnership with RCL/Celebrity that let's them hosts parties, but just wondering if anyone has worked with Princess to try to set something up, even with a no host bar??

Didn't find this site before our Princess cruises but we met a number of people online before our QM2 this past fall. Others said that they were charged for a bartender and food sooo...We had about 15 people meet in the lounge and I brought some nuts and candy with some little bowls. We met the first morning at sea just before lunch and had a great time. We did it through the roll calls and also left a message with the sign in book. Some of us toured together in Canada and it was fun seeing people we had met around the ship.

Didn't find this site before our Princess cruises but we met a number of people online before our QM2 this past fall. Others said that they were charged for a bartender and food sooo...We had about 15 people meet in the lounge and I brought some nuts and candy with some little bowls. We met the first morning at sea just before lunch and had a great time. We did it through the roll calls and also left a message with the sign in book. Some of us toured together in Canada and it was fun seeing people we had met around the ship.

Thanks CK! Just spoke with Princess' date=' and actually got referred UP! to a Customer Service Manager and here is the deal (so far) on Princess. I'm going to fax them my booking #, when we want to meet and my requests for amenities. I figure, ask for the no host bar and lets see. I have a pretty big group building for this cruise (over 100) so we'll see what's up with Princess. I just blew away the manager at the rustic inn in fll for our pre cruise din din. They don't take reservations, but I just asked for a table for 50!!! Let's see what happens![/color']

thanks again for your help:D

Hi, Hank. We are also going on the same cruise with Hank. We have a nice roll call going for 4/14 so if you are going on that trip, come on over and chat with us. We should have a really great time. I am looking forward to the "din din".lol

Hi, Hank. We are also going on the same cruise with Hank. We have a nice roll call going for 4/14 so if you are going on that trip, come on over and chat with us. We should have a really great time. I am looking forward to the "din din".lol

Hey Cathy, it's me, the same Hank...

On the Dawn last year, the CD came and talked about Princess, had a member of his staff there, and had a raffle for bottles of champagne. On Island Princess this month, there were two meetings scheduled in the Patter, the first of which had no one from the CD staff there, and the second which had one person for a short while - and not our group totally, but mostly people who wanted to complain about the cruise. Maybe we need to change our name on board? Nancy

Has anyone ever set up a party for your CC Board mates on board? Sailing Princess in April and would like to set up a little come and go/meet and greet party for our board members. CC has a partnership with RCL/Celebrity that let's them hosts parties' date=' but just wondering if anyone has worked with Princess to try to set something up, even with a no host bar??[/color']

DW and I have hosted CC Roll Calls on our last two cruises, CB 1/06 and Dawn Princess just two weeks ago. We arranged to meet with our Roll Call mates at a predetermined bar on deck for sailaway. We asked everyone to wear Mardi Gras beads to identify ourselves(an idea from a previous Roll Call). This allowed folks to meet & mingle at the beginning of the cruise. We had a sign-up sheet with names and stateroom numbers so we could contact everyone about a future get-together.

When on board, we contacted the CD and requested a lounge for another meeting toward the end of the cruise. We planned a couple of activities including "Cruise Critic trivia". On the Dawn, CD Stu Mac provided 5 prizes for our trivia game and two large trays of Mimosas for our party.

We have learned from our experience that a certain percentage of Roll Call posters who appear enthusiastic about meeting on board don't show up to the sailaway party, so by planning your get-together on board you can get a better sense of how many people are going to come. If you ask Princess to reserve a larger lounge for 100+ people, you might be disappointed if only 25 show up.

Good luck and Bon Voyage!

Mike

DW and I have hosted CC Roll Calls on our last two cruises, CB 1/06 and Dawn Princess just two weeks ago. We arranged to meet with our Roll Call mates at a predetermined bar on deck for sailaway. We asked everyone to wear Mardi Gras beads to identify ourselves(an idea from a previous Roll Call). This allowed folks to meet & mingle at the beginning of the cruise. We had a sign-up sheet with names and stateroom numbers so we could contact everyone about a future get-together.

When on board, we contacted the CD and requested a lounge for another meeting toward the end of the cruise. We planned a couple of activities including "Cruise Critic trivia". On the Dawn, CD Stu Mac provided 5 prizes for our trivia game and two large trays of Mimosas for our party.

We have learned from our experience that a certain percentage of Roll Call posters who appear enthusiastic about meeting on board don't show up to the sailaway party, so by planning your get-together on board you can get a better sense of how many people are going to come. If you ask Princess to reserve a larger lounge for 100+ people, you might be disappointed if only 25 show up.

Good luck and Bon Voyage!

Mike

Thanks Mike, we'll give it all a shot. Love your avator, Big House 72. (after the Navy, majored in GI Bill) still love Ann Arbor.

While waiting for our last cruise, I was reading the various roll calls for the sailings before us to see what they were doing. One had mentioned that the CD arranged for a meet and gave me the CD's email address. The reply I got was that he would arrange a meet on the way to Hawaii and one on the way back. So I informed my fellow roll callers and we also decided to set up a couple of meets on our own.

Kept watching the Patters for the first CD-arranged meet and didn't find one for the first five days so I left a message for the CD at the Passenger Services desk. He left a message under my cabin door giving me a time and date for the meet he's arranging (no mention of the missed one :rolleyes: ). I quickly wrote up notes for the roll callers I had cabin numbers for (you can ask your future friends to email you with the info if you don't want people to post in the roll call). On the date (which was New Years Day), one of the CD's assistant showed up with a bottle of champagne that he poured for each of us.

BTW, it was listed in the Patters as Cruise Critic Meet for registered members -- probably to let people know that it was a regular group and not meant for people to show up to b****.

It seems that different CDs have different policies as to planning a meet for cruise critic members. Some are extremely willing and others will tell you to contact Princess directly (which means you'll have to pay for the no-host bar and goodies). If you get a brushoff from Princess, just go ahead and plan a couple of meets on your own (people can bring their own little plates of goodies from the Horizon Court and buy their own drinks) for a specific date and time. Get everyone's cabin number so you can keep everyone informed just in case you want to set up future meets (some people will miss the first get-together for various reasons but still want to meet everyone). You can even pre-make a form letter at home and just fill in the info onboard. Have one person as the go-to person that everyone can contact and disseminate info.

Maybe have some accessory that everyone will be able to find. I was wearing a lei on my last cruise, but that wouldn't have been easy for everyone to find in December at home.

Hi kids - here is my past experience with quite a few CC get togethers...There are actually 2 kinds...

1st - Sail away meetings for right after boarding...just pick a place and time but don't forget about the muster drill, early seating dinner, late arriving passengers, etc. This can vary cruise to cruise but right after the muster at a deck bar or in a lounge may be the best plan. Just announce the info on your roll call.

2nd - First sea day CC meeting...IMO the easiest and surest way to do this is for one person to write a note to the CD right after boarding. If the person knows the CD (has sailed with them before) so much the better. Just ask for a meeting on the first or second sea day and give the CD some idea how many people might attend. Time and place will be up the the CD. Notice will be put in the Patter. Everyone has to read the Patter and watch for the meeting notice for this to work.

I have never had a CD refuse to put a notice in the Patter about a meeting. Sometimes the CD or staff attends, sometimes they don't. Sometimes there is champers, sometimes there isn't. We are often asked if we want a second meeting.

Some sort of name tags are a good idea.

One other note: We were recently told by a CD that champaign will not be approved if Princess Corp. offices are involved...only if the party is arranged on the ship directly with the CD.

Hope this is of some help!

Cheers, Dee

PS Barry - now you know why we had champers at the second meeting but not the first.;)

This may be of assistance to others.

Reading Patters I noticed a meeting was set up in the Wheelhouse bar for followers of Cruise Critic. Thought it may have been done by fellow roll call members. NO. It was done by Princess on their own. They know there is a huge following on this site and the CD who showed up at the first one explained it. No munchies or drinks given but it appered twice on our 2 week cruise. He also explained it is the CD of that particular ship who chooses to supply free material. But seems princess will post in patters all the time. Good for this site and not so good for others.:p

But the funniest thing happened. :)

I got to it a bit late and there was are roll call and a few newbies and a chap was standing up talking. I sat and Listened and thought what the hell? Here he is bashing the cruise and saying how bad the service was, the food etc so I got up and explained this is a web site following not a cruise critic sit down. He had never heard of the web site by the way. I also suggested he cruise on another line as the other 16 people had heir mouths open wondering if he was really on our ship:eek:

We all chuckled and enjoyed the rest of the cruise. I did not go to second meeting as having far too much fun at the pool.:cool:

This may be of assistance to others.

Reading Patters I noticed a meeting was set up in the Wheelhouse bar for followers of Cruise Critic. Thought it may have been done by fellow roll call members. NO. It was done by Princess on their own. They know there is a huge following on this site and the CD who showed up at the first one explained it. No munchies or drinks given but it appered twice on our 2 week cruise. He also explained it is the CD of that particular ship who chooses to supply free material. But seems princess will post in patters all the time. Good for this site and not so good for others.:p

But the funniest thing happened. :)

I got to it a bit late and there was are roll call and a few newbies and a chap was standing up talking. I sat and Listened and thought what the hell? Here he is bashing the cruise and saying how bad the service was, the food etc so I got up and explained this is a web site following not a cruise critic sit down. He had never heard of the web site by the way. I also suggested he cruise on another line as the other 16 people had heir mouths open wondering if he was really on our ship:eek:

We all chuckled and enjoyed the rest of the cruise. I did not go to second meeting as having far too much fun at the pool.:cool:

sent you email...got returned at "mailbox" full....wondering about cruise and hackshaws....

Great info from one and all. Thanks for all the advice and input. Our board actually accounts for about 100 cruisers, I don't plan on seeing them all natch. There are about 20 of us meeting at the Rustic Inn for dinner the night before the cruise. I've already got them at the Lido bar before sailaway, and we'll see how the meeting the next day works out. I like the idea of a note to the CD, think I'll have it ready when we board and search him/her out... Thanks again.

Rotti - we have had the same thing happen on several occasions - someone shows up and thinks it's a meeting for disgruntled passengers who want to criticize and bitch about the cruise! It's kind of funny when it is explained that CC is an on line group that critiques cruises and shares info! Usually the grump still doesn't get it!

There are often "lurkers" who show up, too...which is fine. They understand what CC is about!

It's actually best if the CD says "members only" when listing the meeting in the Patter.

Bo'sun Hank - have a great cruise! A good CC group can turn a wonderful cruise into a cruise that is really memorable! We have met some of the BEST people through CC.

Cheers!

Dee

Rotti - we have had the same thing happen on several occasions - someone shows up and thinks it's a meeting for disgruntled passengers who want to criticize and bitch about the cruise! It's kind of funny when it is explained that CC is an on line group that critiques cruises and shares info! Usually the grump still doesn't get it!

There are often "lurkers" who show up, too...which is fine. They understand what CC is about!

It's actually best if the CD says "members only" when listing the meeting in the Patter.

Bo'sun Hank - have a great cruise! A good CC group can turn a wonderful cruise into a cruise that is really memorable! We have met some of the BEST people through CC.

Cheers!

Dee

Thanks Dee, I'm not sure there is anything but a great cruise!! I will really take your advice about member only to heart when I talk to the CD.

Thanks again to all for the great advice

On the Sea Princess, the CD posted in the patter our meeting times and places. It was worded as "Cruise Critic Meeting for all who are members or read this Internet message board". We didn't have any passengers show up to complain, but we did get a few that read, but rarely post on CC. They were a very welcomed addition and knew us, even though we didn't know them. It led to some very lively conversations. ;)

If you limit the meetings to only those on the roll calls, you miss the chance to meet others that are often on CC, some a bit leary of posting, but once they meet everyone, their shyness fades!

Has anyone ever set up a party for your CC Board mates on board? Sailing Princess in April and would like to set up a little come and go/meet and greet party for our board members. CC has a partnership with RCL/Celebrity that let's them hosts parties' date=' but just wondering if anyone has worked with Princess to try to set something up, even with a no host bar??[/color']

I've done a number of CC get togethers, some with no involvement by Princess (post a time/place in the Roll call - whoever shows up shows up) to a much more elaborate deal working through group services, pre printed name tags, a directory of roll call members, etc.

Princess "officially" prefers that you work with the Group Services person assigned to your ship (list previously posted is out of date, by the way, as they are reassigned pretty regularly, but it is a starting place) and the Group Services person will work with you to set a time and place (working around the other groups on board who are also meeting - which is why the official line is to work through group services) and will notify and, if you want, invite, the CD and/or staff to attend. CD decides about the listing in the Patter and that seems to be very individual and somewhat dependent on how much space they have available.

CDs also vary wildly in their interest in and availability to the CC groups. Some are very aware and happy to engage with you, others could care less.

Have a good time and enjoy meeting everyone! It is a great enhancement to your experience, no matter how you do the arrangements.

Sailaways, by the way, are usually a lot less 'formal' - just pick a spot - usually a bar on deck - and everyone gets their beverage of choice and enjoys watching the sailaway.

I've done a number of CC get togethers, some with no involvement by Princess (post a time/place in the Roll call - whoever shows up shows up) to a much more elaborate deal working through group services, pre printed name tags, a directory of roll call members, etc.

Princess "officially" prefers that you work with the Group Services person assigned to your ship (list previously posted is out of date, by the way, as they are reassigned pretty regularly, but it is a starting place) and the Group Services person will work with you to set a time and place (working around the other groups on board who are also meeting - which is why the official line is to work through group services) and will notify and, if you want, invite, the CD and/or staff to attend. CD decides about the listing in the Patter and that seems to be very individual and somewhat dependent on how much space they have available.

CDs also vary wildly in their interest in and availability to the CC groups. Some are very aware and happy to engage with you, others could care less.

Have a good time and enjoy meeting everyone! It is a great enhancement to your experience, no matter how you do the arrangements.

Sailaways, by the way, are usually a lot less 'formal' - just pick a spot - usually a bar on deck - and everyone gets their beverage of choice and enjoys watching the sailaway.

Donna:

You have indicated that my list is "out of date" That must mean you have a more current list. Please post it as I would like to see what changes have been made since my list was current (launch of new Crown Princess)

Barry

Archived