Just back Mariner Western 2/11-2/18

mspink98

Got home about 2 hours ago, and will be working on a review. Wonderful ship, wonderful staff, and exceeded all expectations. So much that we booked for next year, which we were not planning on. Who knows if we'll be able to do it, financially, but we're sure going to try.

Until I get my review up, feel free to ask questions-I'll try to answer as best I can.

Becky is the CD, and she was awesome. I haven't ever understood why people care who the CD is, and now I do. When we booked for next year, though, the future cruise consultant said he thinks she's leaving for one of the newer ships.

For weather, it was cool the last 3 days. Our snorkel trip in Cozumel (Friday) was cancelled due to weather-there was an incredible wind, and it wouldn't have been safe to go. Saturday at sea was windy, and plenty warm if you were fully dressed. I wore a tshirt and capris, but when I tried to put on a bathing suit and get some sun, I only lasted about 5 minutes. This morning in Canaveral, it was about 55 degrees. It felt chilly to us, and Floridians were shivering uncontrollably and in some cases actually freezing solid. :p

For excursions, I was looking forward to the snorkeling, but DH and I agreed that if we had to have either that or our trip in Grand Cayman cancelled, we're glad it was the snorkeling. We went on a waverunner tour to the stingray sandbar, and it was indescribably cool. More expensive than a boat tour, but well worth it. The whole thing was about 2 hours, and we spent about 30 minutes at the sandbar and 45 minutes at Rum Point. The rest was on the waverunners. It was absolutely amazing, and so cool to be there with only 6 other people. I'll dig out the name of the company if anyone's interested, otherwise I found it on the Cayman Islands section of Cruise Critic.

Going on the 2/25 sailing, already pack and ready to get out of the Chicago weather!!!

We sailed on the Mariner in 9/05 (Eastern) and loved the ship.

Hoping everything is still the same or better.

Will wait for your review.

jk, you're lucky to be leaving so soon! I'm from the Chicago area too, and this February has been unreal. :eek: I'm so ready for some warmer weather.

Are you doing western this time around? (We did the eastern route last June, and are trying western next.)

I just spoke with our travel agent who just returned from this sailing. She took 65 members of a line dancing group from the Canton/Massillon Ohio area on their first cruise. Our travel agent has cruised for 40+ years and told me that in her opinion the quality of food on RCCL ships has noticeably declined recently. Since the group she took were all first timers, they didn't "know any better". We experienced the same food quality disappointment on our Explorer cruise last November. Service was wonderful, but the food quality was not as good as we've experienced in the past. We're not particularly "fussy" or picky eaters, but could not help but notice that RCCL has "cut corners" regarding food quality and selection. Appears as though this is another corporate "business decision" that adversely affects the customer and positively impacts the bottom line.

Hi OCruisers, Long time no see. :)

We did a b/b/b on the Mariner recently and thought she was a beautiful ship and our service was outstanding also.

I have to agree about the food. We ended up doing quite a bit of casual dining because I just didn't think the selections were worth the long dinners unless of course you have wonderful tablemates. At the same time I loved their Asian selections in the buffet. I know I seem to be in the minority but I thought their lunch buffet was outstanding. Best FF around. Now if they would only warm their buns so they don't break apart I'd have it made. :D

The beds were OK. Not wonderful, but we were so tired every night by the time we made it into bed that we slept like stones. We look forward to the new bedding next year, but if they weren't doing the new bedding, the beds now are hardly a dealbreaker for us.

Just got off the Mariner too...so sad! Long winded review from a first timer's perspective to come...

We had a fantastic time and the vacation really exceeded all my expectations.

With regards to food...as newbies, we didn't have any basis of comparison BUT I have to say that we did enjoy the food. It's better than any all-inclusive land resort we've been to. We definitely didn't go hungry!

I miss the boat already...I tried to open our front door with our sea pass when we got home. *sigh*

mspink98

We are going on the Mariner Western in May - DD is coming home for spring break in a few weeks and we plan on doing our cruise shopping for us and DH and DS - what were the different nights in dining room - i.e. formal, semi formal, smart casual, casual , theme night???

I'm trying not to overpack and actually put together night clothes for each of us - I have also heard that on board cleaning is good - by any chance did you use this service? Looking forward to review and thanks in advance

Lil

LilPony, here's the schedule of dress codes:

Sunday-Smart Casual

Monday-Formal

Tuesday-Casual

Wednesday-Smart Casual or Caribbean

Thursday-Formal

Friday-Casual

Saturday-Casual

We used the laundry service, to have out traveling clothes washed. It was about $10 for all the clothes we both wore for our travel day, and saved having to pack extra for the trip home.

Next year, we're skipping formal night. Saves room in the luggage, and saves $100 in tux rental for DH. We'll do Windjammer one night, and probably Chops the other.

As far as food quality, it was a step down from Celebrity (we sailed Celebrity a few years ago). Dining room especially was kind of uninspired. Nothing was BAD, but nothing stands out as particularly wonderful, either. The Windjammer exceeded expectations, though, and we've decided we want to eat more dinners there next time. We typically went for sushi a couple of hours before dinner (we had late seating) and then ate dinner in the dining room, but there were a couple of nights that we both agreed after the fact that the choices in the Windjammer were more appealing to us than in the dining room. No harm done, we just know for next time. And as Pirategal said, we certainly didn't go hungry!

LilPony, here's the schedule of dress codes:

Sunday-Smart Casual

Monday-Formal

Tuesday-Casual

Wednesday-Smart Casual or Caribbean

Thursday-Formal

Friday-Casual

Saturday-Casual

Kate...Sunday is smart casual? Typically embarkation day is casual, since most are traveling...just wanting to make sure since we'll be on Mariner this summer.

Kate...Sunday is smart casual? Typically embarkation day is casual, since most are traveling...just wanting to make sure since we'll be on Mariner this summer.

I thought it as a strange choice, too. But yes, I pulled the dress info from last week's Compasses, and Sunday is smart casual. We did have our luggae by about 4:30, and were not the first to get it, so maybe they figure that the vast majority of people will have clothes to change into by dinnertime. Luggage was starting to show up in the hallways just after 3.

We also will be on the Mariner in May. Do you know if any of the sports areas like the RockWall or Inline skating was open the day you board. We have children and they wanted to know could they rockclimb as soon as they get on the ship?

Thanks

Michelle

Also did you bring any soda onboard with you? My son loves Dr pepper and I dont think they serve that?

rayzer-I don't believe the rock wall was open while in port at all. In fact, the hours for the rock wall were one of the few disappointments of our trip. It's one of the main reasons my husband wanted to go, and he didn't climb at all. Not that he ended up bored with so much other stuff to do, but it was kind of a bummer.

jkfreeman-there were a TON of kids on board, but they weren't a problem. As far as pool chairs, it was tricky finding a chair by the pool, especially on sea days. However, I don't think it was chair hogs so much as a lot of people in a relatively small space. I didn't see chairs left for longer than a few minutes at a time, maybe 30 at most.

Archived