To anyone who has gone on Capt. Heirfara's excursion in Moorea? Lunch question!

mlbcruiser

We are part of a group planning to do Capt. Heifara's Tour in Moorea in a few weeks and have a question re: the lunches on this tour. I understand we may either opt for his motu picnic ($28 pp), or else eat at a restaurant. Can anyone who has done either please comment? What can we expect to eat if we opt for the motu picnic? Does anyone know what restaurant we'll be taken to and what our menu choices and prices there will be? Please help us to decide! :confused: Thanks for any replies. :)

Hi Nancy,

The tour is a dolphin/whale watch/snorkeling tour to a motu off of Moorea. Capt. H. worked w/a prominent marine biologist, I believe, before doing his own tours. I don't have a clue as to if there is still room on this tour. I do know his co. switched to their larger boat to accommodate us. I will have to find out how you can reach him. He has an email and his wife, Nani, usually does the replies. You can send the email to: Mooreaboattours@mail.pf (I THINK there are 2 ts in that?). Tell them you would like to know if there is still space on the Sept. 13/TP group tour. You are on the Sept. 4 sailing, right? Have you seen the roll call thread for that one?

We didn't do this tour when our C.C. group did but I know that New York Lady organized to have lunch in a restaurant. If you go back to the old Roll Call threads on Tahiti - 8th March trip - I am sure you will find out what our group decided to do. The Roll Call was started by New York Lady. Hope this helps with your planning.

Jennie.

Hi all,

We did this tour in March 2004 and it was a really great tour. We chose the restaurant and went to the Pineapo Beach Rest on Moorea which was a very picturesque spot. The prices ranged from 12 XPF up. Get the steak and fries, it was great along with a Hinano beer. Yummy! The plates are prepared beautifully and decorated with flowers. We even took pictures of them. Plus it was nice to get out of the sun for a while at the tables under the shaded trees. Enjoy your tour.

Jackie

Maria,

Thanks for the info... I'll look into that. We've seen whales in Alaska and

lots of dolphins in Puerto Vallarta so I may just do something else. Have you found out more info on which 4x4 is better and where??? THanks for all your help!! Have you found Stephane in Raiatea or are you doing something else that day??

Jackie,

Did you enjoy the Capt Heirfara tour? Is there anything else you recommend on Moorea?? THanks!!

Nancy

Ia orana, Nancy & Maria,

How was Vegas, Maria? Are you tanned and gorgeous? I called Cindy (my Daughter) today and forgot that she is there in L.V. with Jennie & Friends to celebrate Jennie's 13th Birthday. They were setting off to go shopping. Did you do the Factory Discount Malls? I know you bought something. O.K. - tell it. :confused:

You know my Loooong Itinerary, Maria. On the Moorea Day, I have a Note to Self: Take Lunch off Ship (bread, crackers, cheese, meats, ICE, etc.) and just buy a wonderful french-tahitian dessert at the luncheon. Since we only have a choice of 2 (can't remember what now; however, too expensive for a BOBP - Buyer of Black Pearls). I lost the menu when the Little Princess sank. Can you send me the Capt. H. info, please, Maria? :D

I believe I told Nani that we would not be eating much at lunch. Also, think about ordering just one plate and sharing with your buddy - I understand they serve Way Too Much Food (not Nouveau Cuisine style). :rolleyes:

I also have a note to take Protein Bars (which I always travel with) as well as candy for Nani & Capt.'s Little Whale Princess. I forget her Tahitian name, but it means Little Whale. :p

Nancy, I, too, have seen whales (off the coast near Boston and Monterrey, CA) and many dolphins (used to live in FL), but SOMETIMES on the Capt. H. I understand you get to snorkel w/them. Not always, though. I read so many good things about it and there are a number of people on our cruise doing it, so . . .we decided to as well. As far as the 4x4s, I have read Bora Bora, Moorea and Tahiti are the best, w/probably the most "hairy" one on Bora Bora. The one I looked into was priced too high for a half day - twice as much as the Tahiti Safaris one, so still don't have anything for that one. And nothing for SURE in Raitea yet. My husband is diving that day. I wrote one co. (Stephane's? I can't recall.) and they could not book snorkeling only tours and wouldn't this far ahead anyway, they said. They said to look for a booth at the port.

Princess Di, you can contact Capt. H. at mooreaboattours@mail.pf

Yes, we did have good time in Vegas. Just got home tonight and I'm beat. I don't mean to disappoint you, but I bought NOTHING AT ALL in Las Vegas! Rarely buy anything there. (Remember, I WORK in a dept. store!) Even though I sell jewelry, the last place I want to be on vacation is shopping! Oh, I went through the various hotel malls like Caesar's Forum, etc., but didn't really shop. They do have some georgeous clothing, etc. in the windows, but most of it is way above my pricerange. And no, I didn't hit the outlet mall for sure. Did see a lot of little storefronts in hotel malls, etc., selling black pearls, though! In fact, there was one in the Flamingo where I even spoke to the salesguy. Actually, when he asked us if we'd like something I told him we will soon be in Tahiti. He said his prices were better because the pearl market is flooded w/them there and his co. gets them at really good prices. Maybe so. Maybe not. As I've mentioned, I am not that interested in black pearls but if I were, I'd sure want to check on the quality. Not buy off the cuff like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Your post doesn't say when you're sailing, so not sure if you are done, or not!

We did Capt. Heifara with Jackie. I loved the excursion! Nani and Heifara are very nice people! The lunch at Pineapoo Beach is quite good. I had a fruit bowl, and it was beautifully presented, and good to eat! I'm pretty sure DH had some fish, as he usually does!

The swimming and feeding sting rays and sharks on this excursion is very good. We also saw the barracuda, and I have a great pic of it! (while I was in the water! :eek: )

You'll enjoy this one, I'm sure! Any other questions, I'll try to remember and answer!!!

Our March 8th group is heading back to FP March 10th, 2006! Yay, just booked it!!!

Nita, so glad to get your input! We have 2 more weeks to go. I think one of the people on our CC site has indicated to Capt. H. where we will have lunch, but I'm not sure where she told him. I do know we are not doing the picnic. (Except we are doing one w/Marc in Huahine.) Sounds exciting! It's one of the things I am most looking forward to and also hope we get to see some whales! It's supposedly the right time of yr. I couldn't remember if we were going to get to see sharks on Capt. H's tour or not, and am so glad we will. Saw my first barracuda in Cozumel at Chankanaab a few yrs. ago. I had taken our friend's son out who had never before snorkeled. (His mom has a phobia and becomes extremely panicky in water above her waist. But I told her he would be so safe!!!) Anyway, I had stopped & was turned around looking at Nicky to make sure he was close behind me and I saw his eyes enlarge behind his mask. I turned to see this barracuda which was quite long just sort of hanging in the water staring at us, maybe 3 or 4 ft. behind me! :eek: Though I was pretty startled, I didn't make any quick moves and just took Nicky's hand and we sort of went off to the side and went WAY around it! I knew that w/so many people in the water at that location (though none real close to us), it must be "normal" and we weren't in danger. My brother has been diving since his teen yrs. and once filmed several barracuda chasing his dive knife flashing in the sunlit water as it fell to the bottom Their teeth were knashing (sp?) as they went after it. Looks pretty scary! He has told me barracuda are somewhat like cats in their playfulness and like to chase after things like that. So if I see any on Capt. H's tour, I won't be too scared but I'm not going to dangle anything at them either! LOL! ;) Thanks again for your reply.

Nita, so glad to get your input! We have 2 more weeks to go. I think one of the people on our CC site has indicated to Capt. H. where we will have lunch, but I'm not sure where she told him. I do know we are not doing the picnic. (Except we are doing one w/Marc in Huahine.) Sounds exciting! It's one of the things I am most looking forward to and also hope we get to see some whales! It's supposedly the right time of yr. I couldn't remember if we were going to get to see sharks on Capt. H's tour or not, and am so glad we will. Saw my first barracuda in Cozumel at Chankanaab a few yrs. ago. I had taken our friend's son out who had never before snorkeled. (His mom has a phobia and becomes extremely panicky in water above her waist. But I told her he would be so safe!!!) Anyway, I had stopped & was turned around looking at Nicky to make sure he was close behind me and I saw his eyes enlarge behind his mask. I turned to see this barracuda which was quite long just sort of hanging in the water staring at us, maybe 3 or 4 ft. behind me! :eek: Though I was pretty startled, I didn't make any quick moves and just took Nicky's hand and we sort of went off to the side and went WAY around it! I knew that w/so many people in the water at that location (though none real close to us), it must be "normal" and we weren't in danger. My brother has been diving since his teen yrs. and once filmed several barracuda chasing his dive knife flashing in the sunlit water as it fell to the bottom Their teeth were knashing (sp?) as they went after it. Looks pretty scary! He has told me barracuda are somewhat like cats in their playfulness and like to chase after things like that. So if I see any on Capt. H's tour, I won't be too scared but I'm not going to dangle anything at them either! LOL! ;) Thanks again for your reply.

Two more weeks!!! Lucky you!!! :)

I'm pretty sure you will enjoy Marc's and Heifara's tours about the best! Even though everyone says how great Marc's is, I don't think you can appreciate how kewl it is, until you are really there, in that water, eating and drinking!!! So different from anything I had ever done! If you have a good group, it will be a special day!

Heifara's tour is so good, too! He had warned us about a barracuda, and I had forgotten. That's why I wasn't afraid, and got a great pic! I got in the boat, and asked Heifara, what that huge, plain silver fish was! :eek: Oh silly me! :o I also didn't know it's like the 2nd or so, most dangerous creature in the world! Ahead of sharks!

Well have a great time, and post a review when you return! Tell Heifara and Nani HI from us Mar. 8th cruisers! We bought a Moorea Boat polo from them. It's a nice quality. We paid in advance, and she had her Dad, in Hawaii, make it and send to us. Tell Marc HI too!

Nita, thanks to people like you March 8 cruisers people like me (and the rest of us going on these tours) found out about these excursions and knew they were considered some of the best. We are REALLY looking forward to them and the whole trip! I think there will be a pretty good group on this ship from our CC thread. For a while the postings became VERY few and far between recently, but they are beginning to pick up a bit now. I think early on everyone was scrambling for info. and such. Once we got booked on these popular excursions, interest fell off a bit w/people being busy, etc. Now the cruise is looming, so . . . . ! I will be sure to give some type of a report once we return. :)

Hi Mlb,

I finally had the chance to catch up!! Thanks to all of you for all the great info!!

I'm still going back and forth between too many choices on Moorea!!

Have you heard of Maco's tour(coconut cookout) and What to do Hiro and

also Julienne's tour. And then of course there is still Capt Heirfara's tour. Nani

has been so sweet to me and e-mailing me and hopes we'll join the cc group.

Do you know if we go into the open ocean... we got soooo sick in the Arctic Ocean near Seward a while ago. Do you think Capt Heirfara's tour will be better than all these others?? We are doing Marc's , and Bruno's and Patrice Bordes tour in Tahiti too. What have you planned on in Bora Bora.. We were thinking of the Lagoonarium... Anyways, YOU have been a great help to me...I have found your name EVERYWHERE in so many other boards too. So, Thank YOU ! I'm sure we'll all meet in a couple of weeks. thanks again, Nancy

Ia orana, Nancy M., :)

What is your sailing date? Are you on the 4 September TA sailing? Here is a Link to find us (The 904 Cruisers): :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=1921954#post1921954

You can see our List of Pax is still on the Last Page. We would like to add you and your traveling companions, if you wish. :cool:

Just make a post on that thread.

Archived