Snorkeling equip-rent or buy?

1. If you want to stick a snorkel in your mouth that was in ?????'s mouth that morning....rent

2. If you want a mask that leaks....rent

3. If you plan on snorkelling more than two or three times and like to spend money...rent

If you shop carefully (especially online), you can get quality equipment that will pay for itself compared to only 2-3 rentals. I was able to get everything for under $100 - INCLUDING PRESCRIPTION LENSES! (If you have eyes as bad as mine, these are the greatest ever). Also, you don't need to worry how well the snorkel was cleaned since last in someone's mouth.

We keep our stuff in net laundry bags, that way they drain and dry. We have often just used the bags as carry-ons, especially on Hawaiian interisland flights.

Is it available to rent on RCI? Is the rental usu. included in the excursions that feature snorkeling? I'm curious too! I've only been snorkeling twice so I've never felt that it would be worth buying. Can you recommend places to buy?

Thanks!

I recently bought a snorkel/mask set at Walmart for $30. It was a Dolifino brand. I've used it a few times and it seems to works fine. In the Carnival brochure it is the same brand that the model is wearing which makes me think that that's what you get when you rent (cheap set) so it's probably worth just buying it for the $30. I will only use this set once in a blue moon and figured it was worth buying just so I don't have to stick a snorkel in my mouth that was used by someone else Yuck!:eek:

Good question... my DH and I bought snorkel gear for our honeymoon in Hawaii (we bought decent stuff, not really expensive, but not cheap either). We ended up using an entire roller suitcase (the average sized ones) for the snorkel gear - fins take up a lot of room. When we went to user the gear, my DH did not like the fit of his mask while in the water. We ended up renting.

My advice would be - yes, buy your own if you do not mind the extra luggage. If you do buy, be sure to try the stuff out in a pool first, to make sure you are comfortable with the gear.

I have been a defender of rental equipment before and suggested that you bring along some bacterial wipes to clean your snorkel well. We have always been fine with the rental equipment until my last experience last week.

As I began to clean the snorkel I was getting ready to use, this awful looking black stuff started coming out of the inside of the mouth piece. I worked and worked on it and it did come clean as far as I could reach. Also, one of the teeth clamps was missing. Instead of turning the snorkel back in, I went ahead and used it. Bad idea! When I was in the water, I decided to take a deep dive. As I came up, I inhaled some water and I felt that some of the black yuck from way inside the tube came up and into my lungs as well. It was probably some deteriorating rubber and so far I have no side effects. I will be bringing my own snorkel from now on though.

We have always rented our gear but for the next cruise, we'll bring our own.Plenty of people had their own gear in carrying pouches. I did discover that you can rent prescription masks on the Voyager(limited number of prescriptions but it worked for me! What a difference it made. $18 for the whole cruise- just had to return it before the last day

If you book a snorkel excursion, the equipment should be included in the price. Again, you can get decent equipment or horrible equipment. On my last cruise, I got 2 of each. The bad part is on the out island, it's like $30 for the day to rent the equipment. So, this cruise, we're taking our own. I have very nice equipment because I scuba dive, but I'm buying cheaper sets for the rest of the family and packing all of it in my dive bag.

As an example - take a look at snorkel-mart.com (althought there are many others out there). They have masks for $25, prescription masks for $60, throw in inexpensive snorkel and fins (which are as good as what you'll be renting) and you have your own gear for the price of two or three rentals. Granted, when you go on a boat excursion don't get a discount for your own stuff, but if you buy a vest also, thats $27 saved at Cococay. Also, at places like Hawaii, where there is beach snorkeling all over the place, you get into expensive weekly rentals if you don't have your own stuff.

The easiest thing for packing....is to buy mask and snorkle only.....you can always rent just fins...and many locations make you wear a vest too....which can be rented. Then you are not hauling lots of stuff.....but still have the "important" parts that you don't want to share with 1000 sick strangers.

I have been a defender of rental equipment before and suggested that you bring along some bacterial wipes to clean your snorkel well. We have always been fine with the rental equipment until my last experience last week.

As I began to clean the snorkel I was getting ready to use, this awful looking black stuff started coming out of the inside of the mouth piece. I worked and worked on it and it did come clean as far as I could reach. Also, one of the teeth clamps was missing. Instead of turning the snorkel back in, I went ahead and used it. Bad idea! When I was in the water, I decided to take a deep dive. As I came up, I inhaled some water and I felt that some of the black yuck from way inside the tube came up and into my lungs as well. It was probably some deteriorating rubber and so far I have no side effects. I will be bringing my own snorkel from now on though.

You really made me think, and now before I go on my cruise I'm going to invest in my own stuff!! Thanks for the heads up!! YUCK!!! :eek:

Hi to All....

Mimikens..Did we dine together at Dinner? About the snorkel, I bought one because sometimes the mask doesn't fit right and that straight pipe allows toooo much water in my mouth. I now have one that has a stopper at the end, which makes it worth it for me.....Dennis

Everyone is right, if you think you are going to snorkel more over the years especially on cruises, BUY YOUR OWN. A good fitting mask is critical and can make or break you snorkel trip and just think you don't have to go through all that trying to find stuff to fit. Just get on the boat put you stuff on and in the water you go. It seems I am always one of the first in and last out while others are screwing around with equipment that doesn't fit and things like that.

We bought our own this year and it's 1/3 paid for after not having to rent at Coco Cay.

I bought a great back pack type case that fits both sets of gear, towels, etc. It will be our new carryon bag.

I say buy your own.

Thanks everyone. I have all my own equipment except a vest. The rest of the gang going just has snorkel & mask. I can't justify buying vests since I never use a vest when I snorkel at home.

Hi Dennis! I saw a post of yours on a food board and said hi there! Yes, we were on the Serenade transatlantic. Are you going on the Jewel transatlantic this year? Unfortunately, I can't go.

If you're cruising in the fall or winter and live in a colder climate, you might want to head out to try to find a set now because they are a seasonal item and a lot of stores are getting rid of their summer items now.

We cruised last Nov, but bought our snorkel equip about this time last year and it was getting tough to find it in the stores. You really have to try the mask on to make sure you get a tight fit.

Everyone is right, if you think you are going to snorkel more over the years especially on cruises, BUY YOUR OWN. A good fitting mask is critical and can make or break you snorkel trip and just think you don't have to go through all that trying to find stuff to fit. Just get on the boat put you stuff on and in the water you go. It seems I am always one of the first in and last out while others are screwing around with equipment that doesn't fit and things like that.

I totally agree with you on this. I used what came with the excursion on my first cruise, and couldnt stop thinking about the gazillion other mouths on that snorkel before mine , especially after seeing the tour guide fishing all of them out of a big 50 gallon trash can, and passing them out. Eeks. I've brought my own on all 19 cruises since then, because a good seal/fit on the mask is absolutely crucial to your whole snorkel experience- so many waste away the excursion fiddling around with ill fitting masks.

K Mart is my # 1 choice to look, ESPECIALLY this time of year, they are marked down dirt cheap- got a set for my fiance and myself for 12 bucks each on clearance- Heck, you cant rent one for that, so if space is the problem, toss em out instead of bringing them home, and you'll still come out better, and have one that fits. I never bother with the fins- I just dont need that much extra movement . If you do find one locally, try it out in a pool, or even the bathtub to check the fit.

As for the question about excursions costing same with or without gear, yes, they do. But,keep in mind, armed with your own gear, there is really no need to book an excursion - there are plenty of snorkel opportunities in every port without one. I've got plenty of suggestions if anyone needs any.

• 2 weeks later...
how much does it cost to rent on the ship?

I e-mailed EOS and they replied that they do not rent snork. equipment on the ship, if you plan an excursion it's usually included. Otherwise on some beaches it can run from $5 to $25 for the day.

Archived