How often does NCL change their prices?

OceanDreaming2

I was on the phone yesterday with my PCC, trying to get our current reservations on the Pearl changed from a DD to a BC/BA. He quoted me one price and then after determining which stateroom to book, he said, "gee - that fare has changed". It was something like $200 more. Changed in less than 5 minutes!

I was totally surprised and told him to let me know when the price went back down. Seemed like he was just trying to get some extra bucks, aka bait and switch. :mad:

Another question: If we have current reservations and it is within the cancellation period, can we cancel and rebook with another TA. Seems most everyone has better prices than NCL direct. Kinda disappointing, especially when you're Platinum.

Unfortunately, retail stores and cruise lines use different pricing models. Cruise lines are much more like airlines or even hotels, with prices constantly changing depending on how well a sailing is booking. You were just unlucky enough to have actually been on the phone when the system was "resetting" its fares based on the most recent sales data. Would you have complained if the new sales data had caused the fares to go down while you were on the phone?

we are sailing on the crown to bermuda in october and i got the better price directly from NCL.

I looked at about a dozen online agencies and the prices i got were about 10 - 15 % higher then NCL direct.

At least when you book with ncl they give you a total price. All the online agencies i looked at had great prices 300 dollars per person compared to NCL's 580 per person, but after you entered your name, address, etc they added on the port charges and taxes which brough the price higher then NCL.

Well, since the NCL PCC irritated me yesterday, I'm transferring our reservation to an independent TA. She is booking a gty. balcony, offering an OBC, wine & coupon book. Even adding insurance, the total package is better than what NCL was offering. Any balcony is better than an ocean view.

They can change in a split second - again, depending upon how well/poorly a sailing is selling. I wouldn't use the term bait and switch - dynamic pricing is more like it! In other words, very responsive to the needs of the market.

you hit it right on the money - it is indeed called dynamic pricing in the industry and as Don said - same strategy employed by airlines and hotels. airlines pioneered what is called an RMS today ( revenue management system) aka Yield management system and it is in fact 100% dynamic. there is no time when the system "resets" itself. it is pre-programmed well in advance for any flight / sailing/ a block of hotel rooms, and it works itself up as inventory declines.

sophisticated systems such as those used by Expedia for their hotel and air module utilize various strategies including those that have nothing to do with how well an actual hotel or flight is selling. they follow booking patterns based on clicks and searches conducted across their sites during specific times. For example: booking air on expedia, travelocity or priceline is often more expensive on weekends. system is programmed to add a certain $ amount or a % to what they sell only because they KNOW that most people are home on weekends, and many plan their next vacation from home at their leisure and not from work (does that make sense)? of course this is just 1 example, and not a perfect one by any means as they use many tricks of the trade

Typically you can find a discount agency that will have a better price than the cruise line. I only quote with all fees included bottom line out the door and wish that was industry standard. It appears the online agencies are no longer discounting and as stated here they appear cheaper until you go to book and then get hit with the port fees and possibly even document and mailing fees. It does pay to do your homework... you can always hold exactly what you want with the cruise line and then transfer to the agency with the best quote if it is before final payment... that way you have the cruise and cabin you wanted and then the price too. I know we can generally price better when the client knows what they want!

I have seen cabins disppear in the middle of booking. Yes prices fluctuate, but typically cruise lines change prices overnight... usually when it happens while you are on the phone or within a few minutes... it was an original misquote... unfortunately those happen and I hate when they do. When I think I am bieng misquoted I automatically have them hold the cruise and usually it is oh the price just changed... they don't like to admit their mistakes! Anytime you are getting a quote it is good to get the breakdown of cruise and port fees and double check all fees are included with "no hidden extras". Sometimes it is a science experiment to get these quotes! Once you find a great discount agent though you are set with someone you can trust and looks out for you!

OceanDreaming2 I have a cruise booked on POH for May 7th and I had also seen a coupon book advertised. When I went to the TA she couldn't find it and she called ncl and they said that they didn't have one this year.:eek: Can you let me know where it was that you found it so I can call NCL.:) I believe that they just don't want to pass them out to us.

But, if you're on the phone with NCL why can't they lock in the price they've already quoted? If I were shopping - say at Target - and see one price on the tag only to have the register ring up something else, they would have to give you the "marked" price.
You can't compare Target with a cruise line or hotel. Yes, prices can change in a minute or two as well as the cabin or ship selling out that fast. Both as a TA and a retired hotel reservations manager, I always let clients know: rates and availability are subject to availability. that is why we always want to hold something right now. Don't blame the cruise line. While the agent is talking to you the price Lords that be, are feeding info into the system. The same can happen with airlines. Of all the information that is hard for clients to comprehend this is one. If I wasn't involved in the travel business I too, would have a problem with this.

NMNita

OK I get the dynamic pricing... but why is it when you book on-line with an airline or order concert tickets, etc. you have a 15 minute window to lock in your prices? For that reason only, I give NCL two thumbs down.
As someone said you were just unlucky, would you be this upset if the rate had dropped? I don't know how many times I have seen this happen, more with hotels actually. 5 minutes after quoting the hotel sells out, the catagory quoted sells out or all rates go up. Don't think this is just NCL. take it from others, this does happen. NMNita

OceanDreaming2 I have a cruise booked on POH for May 7th and I had also seen a coupon book advertised. When I went to the TA she couldn't find it and she called ncl and they said that they didn't have one this year.:eek: Can you let me know where it was that you found it so I can call NCL.:) I believe that they just don't want to pass them out to us.

Most likely her TA had some stashed away from last year. They really aren't all the great btw. Like any type of coupon book you may find a couple of things worth using. It certainly shouldn't be a factor or even as issue. NMnita

Most likely her TA had some stashed away from last year. They really aren't all the great btw. Like any type of coupon book you may find a couple of things worth using. It certainly shouldn't be a factor or even as issue. NMnita

This last cruise we took (going through a TA) our price actually went down... Carnival to the Bahamas... close to 30% she called and told us to book. we did and saved a ton of $$.. I def would use a TA...over the years, our TA has saved us alot of $$..She told us supply and demand really determine the price. They also can tell you when its a good time to book.:)

OK I get the dynamic pricing... but why is it when you book on-line with an airline or order concert tickets, etc. you have a 15 minute window to lock in your prices? For that reason only, I give NCL two thumbs down.

a LOT can happen in 15 minutes when it comes to pricing travel. consider thousands of travel agents and thousand of affiliate websites sell the same cruise from every point of the US/world, while you are taking time to decide on your ooking, the category you selected might sell out and next lowest category/price kicks in. true for cruises, car rentals, airline tickets, hotels, resorts,, youg et the idea................ so has nothing to do with NCL - this is industry standard.

Archived