HAL Gift Cards for Sodas and Wine etc.

IKE

I just went on the HAL site and checked out their gift section and they have soda and wine cards available for purchase for their sailings.. Has anyone bought these cards before their cruise and can you use the wine or cocktail cards in the formal dining rooms for lunch and dinner? Any info would be appreciated on these cards. Are there limitations as this does not appear under details on their site? Thanks so much! IKE

I bought the soda card for use on the Oosterdam this month and was able to use it everywhere, including the dining room. I can't say for sure about the wine card, but I would assume so. I brought my own coke to drink in my cabin but having the soda card was nice. I bought a few soda's for other people too.

Nana, Do you know what kind of soda they have on the ship? Is it Coke or Pepsi? We also bring along some diet soda decaffeinated as ships don't seem to carry it. Like a glass before retiring and don't want anything to keep us up. I think I will order a soda card. Now wondering about the wine card. Where can it be used and also the cocktail card. Can these gift cards be used in the Dining Room. Friends are also coming along, thought We would buy them one as a "Bon Voyage Gift". Anyone out there that has any info, will be happy to hear from you. Thanks! IKE

Nana, Do you know what kind of soda they have on the ship? Is it Coke or Pepsi? ... Now wondering about the wine card. Where can it be used and also the cocktail card. Can these gift cards be used in the Dining Room.

I'm pretty sure HAL uses Coke products.

I bought a wine card for an upcoming cruise but haven't tried one yet. I've heard reports of people having trouble using the wine cards outside the dining room, until it was reported to the Beverage Manager.

Thanks Peaches and JTL. From what you say, no problem using wine and drink cards in the Dining Room. I would think if they are allowed in Dining Room, you could use them anywhere else. Great to hear they have diet decaffeinated on the Ships. Won't have to lug along the canned coke. IKE

HAL offers Coke products. They offer diet and caffiene free products in the Coke line. The soda cards are good in all the venues that offer soda. On some ship the soda card is good for so many cans, on other ships it is good for fountain drinks only.

Thanks Kakalina for the info you shared. Happy to hear they serve Caffeine free diet coke on the Ships. I will definitely not be bringing along my own cans of caffein free diet coke. One less item to carry and baggage will be a lot lighter this time around. Will definitely buy a coke gift card. IKE

For more info on this matter, do a quick search of the HAL threads and you will find several discussions on this topic as recently as last week.

With the way the boards have been acting---especially today---it isn't possible to do a "quick" anything!

I just ordered a 10 glass wine card from HAL this afternoon via phone to ship services. The lady taking my order told me that the wine cards are good for ordering wine anywhere on the ship except in our room. That means that they are good in the dining room, the bars, show lounge, and on deck by the pools, etc. Essentially everywhere where you can order drinks except when we are ordering room service. That's no problem for us since I will have some of my own wine in our room. I was told that when we embark, there will be a notice in our cabin telling us to go to the front desk and pick up the wine card for our cruise.

We are going on the March 10 Mexican Riviera cruise on the Oosterdam. We have a SZ guarntee but still no cabin assignment. I did inquire and was told to expect an assignment approximately 1 week before our cruise.

Blazerbob

We were on the 2/7 sailing of the Noordam, and once on board, I bought a wine card. Used it in the dining room, by the pool, and in the show lounge. Didn't go to the bars, except to buy it, but from other reports it can be used there. As someone said, anywhere but your stateroom!

It was convenient as my DH doesn't drink, neither did one of our other friends at our table, and the third couple ordered scotch and vodka. That left two of us who are wine drinkers. So it was easy with the card.

I still have two glasses left on it!

Might be a dumb question, but can two people share one wine card card? That is, if the two of us want wine with dinner, they can just subtract two drinks from the card?

Of course you can. And you can 'buy' glasses of wine for friends, as well.:p In fact, if you lose your winecard, the person who finds it can use it and enjoy it, too. Sadly, this happened to me with about 10 glasses still left on it.:eek: It could not be replaced, as we tried to do so and spoke to the front desk, wine stewards, etc. I have to say we didn't make a big fuss with the staff about this. Maybe if we had, something would have been done. I just felt that it was an accident of traveling...something that can happen to anyone. Neither my husband nor I were in the mood to hassle them about it. We were enjoying ourselves sooo much on the Noordam.

I believe the 10 glass card is about $40 and the 20 glass card about $60.

I hope you have a wonderful time anticipating and planning your trip. We were on the Maasdam in 2005. At the time, they had a great photo staff~the best cruise pictures we have.:)

I finally ordered the 20 glass wine card for $77.63 yesterday for my Noordam Cruise on 2/28. There is a 10 glass card you can also get for $41.40. I ordered the card online at the HAL site and if you have the cards delivered to you at" Sea", there is no applicable sale tax. So I opted for this. Also was able to put it on my credit card. You can also purchase a "Signature Cocktail Card" for 10 cocktails for $64.69. You have the following selections of wine: Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay,Pinot Grigio, White Zinfandel and Sparkiling Wine. Hope this helps you out. Happy Crusing! IKE

So far Merlot is the only house wine listed under the "DETAILS" when You order the gift card online. Maybe when you board the Ship. you could substitute it for something else. Doesn't hurt to ask!

We just returned from the Maasdam's Southern Caribbean itinerary (and are suffering PCD in a most severe manner) where DH purchased the 20 glass wine card and I had a couple of the 10 drink cocktail cards. I asked DH what red wines ere available and he says the Merlot and he believes a Cabernet Sauvignon as well. He frequently had a Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc, as he prefers whites to reds.

As far as the cocktail card, well it was good for anything except premium brand liquors - Chivas, etc. I had everything from Strawberry Mojitos, Champagne Cocktail, Margueritas, etc on my card. - and they were really LARGE drinks. I originally purchased a 10 drink card, but soon discovered it was empty - who knew!:rolleyes:

The cards could be used at any venue on the ship - lounges, showroom, bars, etc., except in your room for room service. Oh, and remember that the 15% gratuity is not included on these cards, so if you're going to be using them consistently at a couple of places - as we did - you might want to leave a little sumpthin' for the bartender and server.

Just thought you might like to know.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Interesting thread - looking forward to sailing on the Noordam on 03/21 and thinking of purchasing both the wine and cocktail card.

Can anyone tell me the approx / average price of a glass of wine / a cocktail purchased without the card?

For those of you who did purchase the card(s) did you think it was a good value?

Last question: can they only be preordered / bought on the day of embarkation (read somewhere at the Lido pool) or also throughout the cruise?

Either way, sure we will be enjoying lots of drinks on board!!!

Regards from cold and rainy Germany,

Ricky

Can anyone tell me the approx / average price of a glass of wine / a cocktail purchased without the card?

For those of you who did purchase the card(s) did you think it was a good value?

Last question: can they only be preordered / bought on the day of embarkation (read somewhere at the Lido pool) or also throughout the cruise?

IIRC a glass of wine starts around $4.75 and goes up to about $9. Most are $5.75 to $6.50. Plus the 15% service charge. The 10 glass wine card costs $4.14 per glass including the 15%. I don't know for sure, but I would expect them to be available for purchase throughout the cruise.

Can anyone tell me the approx / average price of ... a cocktail purchased without the card?

On the Noordam in January my daiquiri was $5.25 + 15%. I did notice that one stewardess was ringing it up as a strawberry daiquiri @ $6.25 + 15% (she said there was no "key" for a regular flavor; funny, the other stewardess found the right key :rolleyes: ).

I'm sure that top-shelf drinks are higher.

Archived