Back from btb Tahitian Princess Cruise. Any questions?

dot73

Earlier this week, I returned to the Great White North from a btb Tahitian Princess Cruise. I am currently suffering badly from the cruise blues.

I had the pleasure of sharing a table with Cindy and her DH on my first cruise. Cindy has done a great review below. If anyone has any questions about any excursions not described by Cindy, please ask and I will try to answer. The information I obtained from CruiseCritic was invaluable and allowed me to make the most of this unforgettable holiday. My only problem with this cruise is that I do not think I will ever be able to top it. I also stayed four days before the cruise and two days after at the Tahiti Intercontinental, which was a great resort.

The excursions I took were as follows:

Papeete - Patrick's full-day 4x4 adventure

Huahine - Marc's Motu Picnic (not the 4x4)

Rarotonga - Muri Lagoon Cruise (TP excursion)

Raiatea - Bruno's all-day excursion

Bora Bora - Damien Dunand (PhotoLagoon)

Bora Bora - Moana Tours (private snorkelling and shark excursion)

Bora Bora - Aqua Safari (TP)

Moorea - Dolphin Watch with Dr. Poole (TP)

Nuku Hiva - Claude's excursion (full day)

This was the longest cruise I ever took and I loved the 20 days on the TP. I could have easily stayed on one more cruise and still not done all the things I wanted to.

Thanks Dot73 for your list of excursions. It sounds like you had a fabulous time. I will be going this October and can't wait!

One question, I was originally planning to go over one day early and stay 2 nights after--but the more I've been thinking about it perhaps we should do the longer stay before the cruise. What do you think now that you've done it? Were you happy with more days before and less after? Were you ready to leave once the cruise was over--or was it best to stay a couple of nights post-cruise to prepare yourself for the return home?

I appreciate any input!

--Kathy

Kathy, you will love the cruise. I chose to stay for four days at the IC before the cruise because I knew I would need a few days to de-stress after a busy few months at work and getting ready for the cruise. It also gave me a chance to get used to the time change and especially the hot and humid weather. It was the right decision for me as by the time I boarded the ship, I was totally relaxed and ready for fun. Staying after the cruise also was great as I missed the rush at the airport. The airport is very small, very hot and can be very busy when the cruise ship comes in. If I had a choice of doing one or the other, I would probably get to Tahiti a few days earlier. The Tahiti IC was fabulous. Although there is no real beach at the resort, there are two fabulous infinity pools. One pool is huge with a wonderful waterfall. The other pool has a sandy bottom and a man-made white beach. There was always lots empty lounge chairs. The grounds of the hotel are filled with blooming flowers, grass and hammock in the shade. Have fun planning for the trip.

I agree that staying a few days before and one day after is the way to go. It is really nice to de-stress and get used to the climate before the cruise. For me I am usually ready to get back home after a cruise and wuold not enjoy the days as much as before the cruise. The IC on Tahiti post cruise is a great choice, wow what a beautiful place. We stayed at the Pension Motu Iti on Moorea pre cruise last time we went and have already made reservations there for pre cruise in 08. we will stay at the IC post cruise again this time around. It is SO nice not to have to board a plane with hundreds of other cruisers!!

I agree that staying a few days before and one day after is the way to go. It is really nice to de-stress and get used to the climate before the cruise. For me I am usually ready to get back home after a cruise and wuold not enjoy the days as much as before the cruise. The IC on Tahiti post cruise is a great choice, wow what a beautiful place. We stayed at the Pension Motu Iti on Moorea pre cruise last time we went and have already made reservations there for pre cruise in 08. we will stay at the IC post cruise again this time around. It is SO nice not to have to board a plane with hundreds of other cruisers!!

We are going two days before and staying 3 days after. This is our first time doing that, but we figured this was a "vacation of a lifetime" and wanted to make the best of it. We are staying at the IC both times, before in the Panaramic rooms, after in the OWB. From all I've seen on these boards the IC is a great place to stay. Any suggestion on which OWB. I'm hoping to be able to ask for a specific OWB while we are there pre cruise for our post cruise stay. Think that is possible?

We stayed in the Motu OWB in November. I suggest no higher a number than #490 as I'm not so sure the views are the best and your facing more into the flightpath for the airport.

Like you, we also stayed in a Panoramic precruise & I requested #488 OWB for our postcruise stay. She said that they couldn't promise, but that they would try. As it turned out, we got it.

The Lagoon ones looked to be bigger & newer but further away from the rest of the resort. If you don't mind the hike they all looked to have good views. However, some of the foundations looked to be in bad shape & I don't think that they were using them. People who were in these units say that they were really nice.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Dan,

Thanks for the info regarding the OWB, we are staying in the Motu ones as well. I'll give it a try by asking, I'm sure they can't guarantee but if they know we are coming back, they may try harder. I'll give it a go and see what happens. I just wanted it out as far over the water as possible, towards the curve of the motu. Is that right?

• 1 month later...

We also live in Ontario, and would like to maybe fly out of either Buffalo or Detroit as we have family in Niagara Falls and Windsor. From what I have heard it is cheaper to fly from the States. We don't mind flying there with no deviation,(Tahiti) but would like to stay in California for a few days to do some sightseeing. Maybe even fly home from Las Vegas. Btw, the cruise we are interested in is the Tahiti to Hawaii. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Tia.

Carol

Wow sounds like a fantastic time. I'm going on 7/9 and wanted to know what you thought about Marc's and Brunos tour? By any chance did you notice if any of the motus had bathroom facilities? Also what did you think of Patricks tour in Tahiti? Did you try any of the specialty resturants on board and was formal night very formal? Questions quesions questions

Hi - If you are planning on staying 3-4 days post cruise, I would go to Moorea and stay at the IC there or the Sheraton. The OWBs there are beautiful and its only a 30 minte ferry ride away. Plus, the Moorea IC has a nice beach.

Have a great time.

Sandra

After experiencing the wonderful HAL beds, I was quite disappointed with the TP mattress. It was very hard (not orthpaedic hard, just hard) and you definitely felt the border between the twin beds. After the first night, I asked for a bedcrate and it definitely helped. You can also ask for an extra duvet to cover the mattress to make it softer. The linens were fine.

I tried Sabatinis and was a bit disappointed. The food was okay but we just had the bad luck of having two surly Bulgarians waiters who provided a very communist-type East European service. One of them actually argued with me about a wine selection someone at our table made. This was a real exception as the overall TP service was amazing. I heard from people that Stirlings was very good. People who dined at the specialty restaurants on other Princess ships said that the TP restaurants just were not as good.

Both Marcs and Brunos tours were amazing, especially Marc. I would highly recomend both of them, especially if you enjoy being out on and in the water. Although I hate shopping when on holidays, I even enjoyed the Pearl Farm visit on Brunos tour. Everyone on the tour bought something as the quality of the pearls was amazing and the owner was very knowledgeable and never pushed anything at you.

Bathroom facilities were available on the motus.

I flew Air Canada from Toronto to LA and stayed one night near the airport and then flew Air New Zealand to Papeete. Both flights were excellent with no problems encountered. LAX is a zoo and I found it more relaxing doing it this way.

I hope I answered the questions. After spending four weeks in Polynesia, two months later I am still experiencing withdrawal symptoms. It was the best trip I have ever taken. I think I will have to do it at least one more time to get it out of my system. When readings these boards prior to the trip, I could not understand why people went back over and over again, well now I do. It really was paradise.

d.

Both Marcs and Brunos tours were amazing, especially Marc. I would highly recomend both of them, especially if you enjoy being out on and in the water. Although I hate shopping when on holidays, I even enjoyed the Pearl Farm visit on Brunos tour. Everyone on the tour bought something as the quality of the pearls was amazing and the owner was very knowledgeable and never pushed anything at you.

What kind of currency did you use at the Pearl Farm?

They took everything: U.S. XP cash, credit cards. If you tell the saleswoman (who is the co-owner) in what $ range you are looking for, she will show you what you can buy for that amount. What I loved the most (actually throughout French Polynesia) was that no one harrassed you to buy anything and there was no haggling. It was a pleasure to buy without the hardsell.

They took everything: U.S. XP cash, credit cards. If you tell the saleswoman (who is the co-owner) in what $ range you are looking for, she will show you what you can buy for that amount. What I loved the most (actually throughout French Polynesia) was that no one harrassed you to buy anything and there was no haggling. It was a pleasure to buy without the hardsell.

Wow! That will be a nice change! Thanks.

Archived