Charging for Johny Rockets

I learned through these boards that RCI are experimenting by Charging for Johny Rockets on some ships how long is this for and is it likely to be made permanent also is the charge just for seating or for the take away too?

RCI is charging for JR on Mariner and Navigator. It began in March and originally was only an 8 week trial but must have been successful because they are still charging on these two ships. You pay for both dining in and take out. If you are dining in, it's $3.95 per person and all you can eat. If you do take out, you get a take out package consisting of a sandwich of your choice, fries/rings, and dessert. You pay for drinks/milkshakes/malts at JR on all ships (that have JR). If you are a C&A member, you will get a coupon for a free visit.

You can use this as a barometer of just how bad RCI food included in the cruise fare has become.....they NOW CHARGE for decent burgers! Don't buy the "all you can eat BS either! There aren't many people who will be comfortable eating more than one burger after factoring in the fries and onion rings. No longer do you see ME recommending Royal Caribbean to unsuspecting vacationers. :(

thank you aqusis, that helps, if C&A members get a coupon for a free visit that will suit us as we would only visit once anyway.

so probably only a matter of time this charging extends to all voyager ships?

You can use this as a barometer of just how bad RCI food included in the cruise fare has become.....they NOW CHARGE for decent burgers! Don't buy the "all you can eat BS either! There aren't many people who will be comfortable eating more than one burger after factoring in the fries and onion rings. No longer do you see ME recommending Royal Caribbean to unsuspecting vacationers. :(

OH NO!

Quick, RCI shareholders! Dump your shares! Parnami is going to bring this line to it's knees by not recommending this line anymore!

Free cheesebugers are the reason why people cruise, y'know.

OH NO!

Quick, RCI shareholders! Dump your shares! Parnami is going to bring this line to it's knees by not recommending this line anymore!

Free cheesebugers are the reason why people cruise, y'know.

DID I SAY CHEESEBURGERS?? I thought I said FOOD! A barometer of their FOOD and how poor it's become! YES...this IS a valid reason to take your vacation business ELSEWHERE!:mad:

Well, Martino, say what you will, but the all inclusive nature of cruises is one reason I (and I assume many others) enjoy cruising. I don't consider hamburgers "free" -- I consider them paid for as part of the cost of the cruise. As RCCL keeps adding more and more extra expenses and decreasing significantly the amount and quality of the inclusives, my interest in cruising decreasing accordingly. And, much like Parnami, I think it's getting harder and harder to recommend an RCCL cruise in good conscience to friends who've never cruised.

I sometimes wonder why people defend RCCL so vehemently on these boards. It's much like the DIS boards -- say anything negative and people flame you. It's like they're in favor of the big, faceless corporation and I don't know why. What do you people get out of defending RCCL? Are they paying you to do it?

And, may I say that I consider Parnami to be an influential person on these boards and in the cruise industry generally. I have followed his posts, websites, etc. anonymously for several years and really enjoy them. When Parnami speaks, if RCCL is smart, they'll listen!!!

Rediculous!!!!!!!!!!!

Not recommending RCCI because of a Johnny Rocket charge on 2 of their ships? Most of the cruisers on these ships get a coupon for 1 visit anyway. I've never gone more than once and have not gone at all on a couple cruises. Wouldn't affect me. What nickle and diming? The way you make it sound, RCCI is the only one that charges for alternitive restaurants, specialty ice cream, and soda in the dining room.

Not recommending RCCI because of a Johnny Rocket charge on 2 of their ships? Most of the cruisers on these ships get a coupon for 1 visit anyway. I've never gone more than once and have not gone at all on a couple cruises. Wouldn't affect me. What nickle and diming? The way you make it sound, RCCI is the only one that charges for alternitive restaurants, specialty ice cream, and soda in the dining room.

Again, It is a barometer of how poor their food served on board at no added cost has become! :mad:

Not only that, but from what I've heard, there are burgers, just-as-good as those at JR's, elsewhere aboard ship. What you're paying for is the attraction -- the "show" and the accompanying service.

bicker...

There is never any "show" at the times that I frequent the place which is usually around midnight. As for the service, someone carries your food about 20 feet from where it is cooked to where you are sitting. I could do that myself. If fact, I carry it much further when I'm in the Windjammer.

there is a "show" of sorts. at times the staff will sing and dance.

the only places i saw burgers offered were jr's and the windjammer.

if you need a burger, they're far better at jr's.

sly

Again, It is a barometer of how poor their food served on board at no added cost has become! :mad:

I guess I'm having trouble seeing the relationship of a charge for JR's and the quality of the traditional dining options. One has nothing to do with the other. We have only two cruises and the food on both was fine. Not 5 star restaurant fine but how could it be when preparing 1,000 meals twice in a span of 4 or 5 hours. It's never going to be as good as a high end restaurant that serves 200 meals per setting with each meal individually prepared.

I don't see that any of the traditional offerings have been taken away. I suppose the thing that would make some people happy would be if extra's were never offered to begin with. Perhaps all the cruise lines should take note of this and get rid of these restaurants and replace them with another lounge or free cafe...........No, then people would complain about the lack of options or that cruising had become boring.

I'm sorry but a $3.95 charge for JR's is NOT a good baramator of the decline in food quality on RCI ships IMO. It is a measure that people are willing to pay $3.95 for a meal that on shore would cost them $20.

I was recently on Voyager and ate lunch at JR twice. I had a burger once and a chicken sandwich the second time. Both were fast food quality. Service was great and we only paid for our drinks. The food in the dining room was good. As mentioned by another poster, not 5 star, but good. I enjooyed each dining room meal and found Portofino to be wonderful.Our waiters were wonderful and we had a great time.

Parnami...If you are so dead set against RCCI, then why are you on these boards? Why don't you frequent the boards of cruise lines that you find to your liking? Just a question. Do not jump all over me for asking.

We just returned from The Navigator (what a beautiful ship and what a great time!) and to be honest I don't see what all the fuss is about at Johnny Rockets. We went out of curiosity and followed the recommendations to sit inside so we could see the show. We went twice, at different times of the day and didn't see any type of show. (We went back the second time because my hubby wanted a malted milkshake.) The burgers were OK, but I agree with many other posters here that the ones in the Windjammer were just as good, and the fries in the Windjammer were actually better!

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, that's why it's nice to have the choices, but I too prefer all inclusive. Do any cruise lines still offer that?

I think several of you have missed the reason for the charge in JRs. The kids were taking over by sitting in the place continuously. That was keeping you and I out. The 'charge' has worked beyond expectations and now JRs is available to all. Again C&A folks receive a coupon for a free visit.

I think several of you have missed the reason for the charge in JRs. The kids were taking over by sitting in the place continuously. That was keeping you and I out. The 'charge' has worked beyond expectations and now JRs is available to all. Again C&A folks receive a coupon for a free visit.

Actually, your point about the kids is a speculation that was put forth on these boards. I am not aware of anyone who received a response from RCI or a posting by RCI anywhere that says the issues was the kids taking over the place.

We've eaten there only twice; once on Explorer and again on Voyager, we didn't bother while on Mariner in January and don't plan on a visit while on Navigator in October. I'm not sure what all of the fuss is about? I was less than impressed with the shakes and burgers, the ice cream tasted the same as that being served for free in the Promenade. The burgers tasted nothing like those at the 'land-based' Johnny Rocket restaurants. My opinion of the surcharge is it may be to compensate JR for the use of their name, akin to a franchise fee. I also got the feeling from the servers they were less than happy being stationed in there. There seemed to always be an abundance of kids running in and out getting shakes and food.

Frankly I would be insulted to be charged for that food (if there wasn't a C&A coupon), it would be like adding a surcharge for the Windjammer, the food simply does not have the quality to justify an additional charge. I'd suggest eliminating JR's and replacing it with another Promenade Cafe-like outlet, minus the surcharge. The other option is to follow the lead of Todd English on QM2 and keep JR's but staff it with JR people who prepare the food as it is made in land-based Johnny Rocket restaurants, using their own ingredients and preparation techniques. I'd much rather pay $3 for a burger, $2 for a shake and $1 for fries and know it would be tasty than $3 and some change for the same meat and frozen fries being offered in the Windjammer.

There is a reason that Chops and Portofino's get relatively good reviews, and that is because they have their own recipies and ingredients which are prepared to order. Any restaurant with a sucharge should be able to say the same. JR's, in its current incarnation, is simply an arm of the Windjammer and does not warrant a surcharge. RCCL are you listening? :rolleyes:

We have cruised with RCI 5 times (it is the only line we have used). Although we have generally been pleased, we have noticed a definite trend toward "nickel and diming." For example, on the Adventure this past June, they discontinued free lemonade and iced tea in the Royal Promenade. The experimental charge for Johnny Rockets on some ships is another example. I believe that RCI runs the risk of alienating loyal cruisers for what truly are nominal amounts. I would suggest that customers make their views known to upper level management.

Portfino was much more than pasta. It was WELL worth the extra $20.00. The meal was cooked to order and excellent!!!!! We were happy with everything there, from the servers, meal, and dessert. It was as if we were in a NYC, high end, restaurant. I will definately go again (even if they raise it to $25.00)......

In fact, the pasta was wonderful too.

Mel

Did you get lonely? Nobody stopping in to chat with you? Some people are crying for attention and notice, even if it is negative. Welcome back. I am sorry you are still leading your silly crusade. I am not even going to debate this with you. I hope someday you work out your issues with you ego. There was a time, when I thought you were a reasonably valueable crusing resource, but now .... well sad comes to mind.

jc

All inclusive to me means all inclusive not having to pay extra does it not?
Which would be relevant if RCI actually promised that the trip was all-inclusive. They don't. I'm not sure why so many people assume that.

Archived