Who thinks Carnival should dump Costa Rica?

markandstacie00

29 nurders an dnot one of them a visitor on vacation. 90% of them are drug dealers and gangs killing eachother. each week conventions with 10,000 people are more are held in new orleans and none of them have had any major problems. On Mardi Gras there were over 2 million people out on the streets ( an extimated 700,000 of them visitors) and none were killed. If you are not a drug dealer or gang member I don't think you will have a problem in New Orleans.

Amen!! The tourist areas are probably more safe now than they have ever been. If you're trying to buy/sell drugs, you may have something to worry about!

We've just launched a new story, following up on Carnival's plans to put the kibosh on calls at Limon. Thanks for your great comments; link is here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1949.

We'll continue to provide follow-ups as necessary (definitely check back with us tomorrow, after the ship docks; bet it'll be a scene....).

Carolyn

I think it was quite prudent of Carnival to suspend docking in Puerto Limon. The reason being is that a native son was killed. An incident of an American killing a local son can be viewed in many different ways. Perhaps letting things cool down will take the "cross hairs" from Carnival passengers in Puerto Limon.

Just MHO

FF

I think it was quite prudent of Carnival to suspend docking in Puerto Limon. The reason being is that a native son was killed. An incident of an American killing a local son can be viewed in many different ways. Perhaps letting things cool down will take the "cross hairs" from Carnival passengers in Puerto Limon.

Just MHO

FF

My feelings exactly, one does have to wonder what kind of "spin" this is getting in Puerto Limon.

On the other hand, given the amount of paranoid xenophobia displayed on these boards the last couple of days, I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival got a significant amount of cancellation requests. :rolleyes:

We've just launched a new story, following up on Carnival's plans to put the kibosh on calls at Limon. Thanks for your great comments; link is here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1949.

We'll continue to provide follow-ups as necessary (definitely check back with us tomorrow, after the ship docks; bet it'll be a scene....).

Carolyn

I guess if this site is going to give me credit, I should at least go on this cruise! The truth is I started this particular thread but I have been hesitating in choosing the Liberty in 3 weeks for one reason. I think every Caribbean cruise should include a beautiful beach and snorkeling. Costa Maya, Costa Rica, and Panama do not really meet my need but it was a good price for the newest Carnival ship.

I am planning to book today and I hope Roatan is left on the trip.

Mark and Stacie - Go ahead and book the cruise. You will have a good time wherever you go. Costa Maya is the best port for snorkeling and beaching and you'll have a good time. It's really cheaper than anywhere else you can go during Spring Break season!

We're also sailing on the Liberty and I think I'd prefer Roatan right now as well, but we'll go whever the ship goes.

The ship, itself, is a destination - I think some people forget that.

Enjoy!

We've been to Roatan twice & it's one of our favorite ports. The dock area doesn't look so great but when you get away from there, it's a beautiful country with very friendly people. We never felt the least bit threatened.

First, just let me say that this is one of the better threads I have read on these boards. Thoughtful, intelligent debate and discussion is a rare thing!

That said, it is really hard to decide how one should respond to the OP's question.

When I look at the enormous number of people cruising compared to the number of violent crimes committed against cruise ship passengers I wonder if we are not responding to media induced hysteria...and by "we" I mean the cruise ship companies as well.

Over the next 16 months Princess cruises...and I chose Princess only because its website has the total number of cruises it has available on its "find a cruise" page...offers 788 cruises all over the world. As a rough estimate I decided that the total of number of passengers for each ship will probably average out at about 2000 people. So...roughly speaking...Princess Cruises will transport an amazing 1.57 MILLION people to ports all over the world during the next 16 months.

How many of those 1.57 million people will be victims of crimes, violent and otherwise, while on vacation over that 16 month period. I have no way of calculating that...but if I had to guess I would say that it will be far fewer than the 1.5 million people who live in my city...and I live in one of the safest cities on the planet!

So is Carnival over reacting? For a couple of reasons, I don't think so.

First, the point has already been well made that we do not know how the local Costa Rican media is playing the story...and just maybe Carnival does. The cruise lines have reps/staff in all the ports they visit. And maybe it just isn't safe for them to take passengers there, especially Americans, based upon local reaction. If that is the case we are going to see other companies following Carnival's move; most notably those owned by Carnival.

Second, I am not sure that it is not all that bad a strategy on the part of Carnival to send a very clear message to the governments of these places like, Costa Rica, Panama, Jamaica, St. Thomas and others that they are not preapred to continue to bring people to these countries if the local government and police cannot provide a safe environment for passengers.

These countries have a whole different perspective on the cruise industry than we do. We see gorgeous white ships on crystal blue water in the sun. They see enormous $$$ signs sticking out of the water! According to the local newspaper, December 4th - 10th, 2006...27 cruise ships put 80,000 people on the island of Cozumel, Mexico. At the end of the week those people had left $4.5 million USD on that island!!

Those numbers will differ from port to port and week to week, but I think you get my point! Many of these island nations and central american nations are largely dependent on the tourist trade for economic stability. Much of that trade comes from cruise ships.

The message is pretty clear! "Carnival to Caribbean/Central America countries...fix your crime problem or we aren't coming back!" I don't think that is bad thing from a cruise passenger's perspective.

It's not likely that the one incident in Costa Rica is going to noticeably impact bookings for Carnival...but if this kind of thing happens too often it will. Americans have become cautious travellers over the past five years...and with good reason. There are so many cruises to take...so many places to see...that choosing not to go to the Caribbean is pretty easy.

It is getting to the point where the Caribbean is less exciting and more convenient for many of us. Shifting from a Caribbean cruise to one say from LA, Seattle, San Francisco to Mexico and South America is an easy leap to make. The Med is also growing steadily in popularity.

So, Carnival's decision in the long term may be the right for both its business and its passengers. It will interesting to see if the other companies that go to Costa Rica follow the Carnival lead!

I guess we will find out in April on our Princess cruise to the Panama with a stop in Limon...that incidently we were really looking forward to making.

Just my thoughts.

Tom:)

I like Costa Maya but don't think the beach is that nice.
I thought the beach area across from Majahual in Costa Maya was BEAUTIFUL! We sat there for hours, while Edgar was more than happy to bring beers our way! :) Lots of people snorkeling..

We go to Limon in 48 days.. We will still take our 'ship' excursion.. Only live once! :p

Wouldn't object to Isla Roatan tho'.. Never been there either..

Just back from Brilliance,,

We were just in Costa Rica, Limon maybe tuesday. Had a wonderful time, no we didn't hang out in town, went on a excrusion by a private person, there were 12 of us..

I felt very safe... we had no problems, we even went to a local place to eat high on a hill, El Fargo...?

would go back again,

were are you going to find NO Crime? really you just have to be Aware ..... things can and will happen....

be safe...

I guess if this site is going to give me credit, I should at least go on this cruise! The truth is I started this particular thread but I have been hesitating in choosing the Liberty in 3 weeks for one reason. I think every Caribbean cruise should include a beautiful beach and snorkeling. Costa Maya, Costa Rica, and Panama do not really meet my need but it was a good price for the newest Carnival ship.

Markandstacie; am on 3/8 legend that was to stop in limon. spent a whole lot of time researching and deciding on tour..oh well. but now I know NOTHING about Roatan. I will go to destination board, but sounds like you may know a bit about it..any insight?:confused:

Markandstacie; am on 3/8 legend that was to stop in limon. spent a whole lot of time researching and deciding on tour..oh well. but now I know NOTHING about Roatan. I will go to destination board, but sounds like you may know a bit about it..any insight?:confused:

Just MHOFF

I agree with FastFreddie. As horrible as we have all interpreted this tragic event to be, which every post on CC for the last 2 days has proven...just think of how the locals are taking it.

CCL did the right thing, as the natives right now are probably very restless, and any tourist will do when it comes to retaliation. Those 2 accomplishes won't see their deceased pal as being wrong and take this as a lesson learned. They'll only see that he is dead, and a tourist killed him. It's human nature...they'll want revenge. Especially since their own police, who acted appropriately given the situation, did nothing to avenge the death of their friend. I'm sure the police closed their books on this tragic event real fast, before the locals came after the 12 tourists.

Just my opinion though

Another thing that is so tragic is the amount of money Costa Rica will lose because of three thugs. It is also interesting that some other people may be rewarded greatly by this brief incident.

Of course these things happen everywhere. If Carnival foes back there and someone is hurt, they would suffer a huge financial hit.

Just MHO

FF

You know...this is an excellent point. I never thought of it that way. His homies might want revenge?

I don't care where they take me...so long as they take me away.

Of course these things happen everywhere. If Carnival goes back there and someone is hurt, they would suffer a huge financial hit.
So true! This could actually be 'long term' in nature..! Carnival no longer 'cruises' to Aruba.. Hmmm.m.m.m....:rolleyes:

So the cruiser who took out the bad guy was a retired Marine. Thank you US Marines. I hope there is a Marine around if I ever need one. On our cruise 2 months after 9/11 we had two marines, husband and wife at our table, that showed up for formal night in full dress uniforms. We didn't know they were Marines until that dinner.

It brought a tear to my eyes; I was over whelmed with pride for them. Needless to say, they didn't have to buy a drink the rest of the cruise.

Every port has problems, including Miami. A tourist is a target everywhere. In Florida, there was a problem with rental cars, they all used to have Manatee County license plates and were therefore targets.

Archived