Who thinks Carnival should dump Costa Rica?

markandstacie00

I know it is being reported that Costa Rica has been dropped on future cruises, but there have been no press releases, no announcements on their website, or no change in future itineraries. I called Carnival and the person I talked to said that nothing has happened except for the one stop for the recent Legend. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

On the front page of the CC website, they are reporting that Carnival will not drop Costa Rica.

From CC front page:

This just in: Carnival, which over the weekend was telling passengers its ships would temporarily replace calls at Limon with stops at Honduras' Roatan, has changed its mind. According to a company spokeswoman, "the thinking at that time was to suspend calls until further notice. However, we are being advised this morning that Limon officials have been in contact with us and are taking a variety of proactive measures to try to ensure there are no further issues related to passenger safety. Therefore, starting with the Carnival Legend's March 8 voyage, we intend to resume calls to Limon."

My husband and I stopped in Limon on the Legend a couple of years ago. I read the article in the newspaper about the incident and wondered if the beach where this happened was the same one where our driver took us.

It seemed to be a safe beach. It was at this beach that I saw monkeys and sloths and on our way we saw a sloth up close. It was a highlight.

I hope they don't nix the port.

Carnival made it very clear they were removing Aruba to save fuel costs (remember, when they announced it in what? May? They were making many changes to save fuel) and that saved them 450 miles. I would think if it had ANYTHING to do with the Holloway case, they would have stopped it immediately... but it only became effective recently... I don't see them doing something in the name of safety, but putting it in effect 8 months down the road...

On the front page of the CC website, they are reporting that Carnival will not drop Costa Rica.

From CC front page:

This just in: Carnival, which over the weekend was telling passengers its ships would temporarily replace calls at Limon with stops at Honduras' Roatan, has changed its mind. According to a company spokeswoman, "the thinking at that time was to suspend calls until further notice. However, we are being advised this morning that Limon officials have been in contact with us and are taking a variety of proactive measures to try to ensure there are no further issues related to passenger safety. Therefore, starting with the Carnival Legend's March 8 voyage, we intend to resume calls to Limon."

That was my point - Carnival was not dropping it, but everyone was talking about it like it was going to happen -it didnt!

For two reasons. on every other forum on the internet , but MOST SURPRISINGLY, not this one, the majority of posters had GLEE in that a tourist killed a mugger.

The other reason , is the story of it, just has way to many holes in it.

The truth is being concealed and Limon's tourism will suffer for the sake of the concealed truth.

I now must change my opinion of cruisers ..

I have read here, that most of you do indeed want to stop at Limon, and do not have glee in anothers un-needed death..

o·pin·ion

A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: "The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion" (Elizabeth Drew).

As far as facts go..... everybody seems to have their own. Just yesterday, I read 4 different accounts of the incident in Limon. All by reporters who had the facts. So who really knows?

In my humble opinion sharecruises is certainly very adversarial. (and those facts speak for themselves)

Costa Rica probably isn't any more dangerous than any other port, but if Carnival wants to protect me and the rest of the passengers, by not going there, then it's okay by me.

EXCUSE me....please do reviews of ships and cruises and ports, not other posters

Carnival made it very clear they were removing Aruba to save fuel costs (remember, when they announced it in what? May? They were making many changes to save fuel) and that saved them 450 miles. I would think if it had ANYTHING to do with the Holloway case, they would have stopped it immediately... but it only became effective recently... I don't see them doing something in the name of safety, but putting it in effect 8 months down the road...

I agree !

To even think that somehow Carnival was secretly allowing media sensationalism of Faux News to influence them on dropping a safe and popular port like Aruba is ridiculous

Carnival doesn't have any "secret agenda" in place, they stated why they were dropping Aruba clearly enough...and other ships in their organization, such as HAL not only go to Aruba but increased itineraries to Aruba

IF Carnival was to drop every port that had a missing person they would not sail at all...there are thousands of people missing in the USA, many small children missing, very sad.

ONE incident does not make a trend ....as for New Orleans...I think it is so sad that the city was so destroyed and they have many problems. However, sentiment does not change the statistical fact that NO is undergoing a huge increase in crime/murders

Here is an article about Aruba

ONE incident does not make Aruba unsafe for travelers

New Travel report speaks highly of Aruba

Washington Post, Boston Globe, USA today, etc etc etc.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/02/AR2007030200425.html

. Best all-around: Aruba and Barbados. The Dutch-flavored island of Aruba is "solid all around," offering decent prices, widespread acceptance of U.S. dollars, freedom from

hurricanes, prevalence of English speakers and a general absence of poverty and crime, one reader wrote. Another who loves Aruba recommended eating at Iguana Joe's in

Oranjestad's downtown, La Trattoria El Faro Blanco at the northern tip of the island and Simply Fish on the beach. Yet another said, apparently from experience, that " Aruba is the best place to spend a rainy day shopping for jewelry. They have absolutely everything at very reasonable prices."

o·pin·ion

A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: "The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion" (Elizabeth Drew).

As far as facts go..... everybody seems to have their own. Just yesterday, I read 4 different accounts of the incident in Limon. All by reporters who had the facts. So who really knows?

In my humble opinion sharecruises is certainly very adversarial. (and those facts speak for themselves)

Costa Rica probably isn't any more dangerous than any other port, but if Carnival wants to protect me and the rest of the passengers, by not going there, then it's okay by me.

Well...actually your "humble opinion" is not very fair is it, since "Stirboo" is YOUR "DH"...??

Says so right in your profile and in other posts you have made

As far as opinions go...your's is biased

For two reasons. on every other forum on the internet , but MOST SURPRISINGLY, not this one, the majority of posters had GLEE in that a tourist killed a mugger.

The other reason , is the story of it, just has way to many holes in it.

The truth is being concealed and Limon's tourism will suffer for the sake of the concealed truth.

I have read here, that most of you do indeed want to stop at Limon, and do not have glee in anothers un-needed death..

catweazle,

I can't imagine anyone having glee at an 'un-needed' death. It is quite unfortunate that the victims' vacation was mired by the encounter with such an unsavory character.

I am curious as to your statements about truth being concealed and the story having too many holes in it. Do you have any insight into the incident or are you speculating?

I was on the Liberty when this happened..We were on a private tour bus downtown buying coffee when our driver got a phone call about this incident. Every house that I saw had bars on the windows and either iron fences or chain-link around their house. This was my second and last trip there. I will not book another cruise that goes to that port. We were told to not go outside the port unless we were on a tour bus. ....Dennis

It is so sad that this incident didn't happen in the US or FRANCE. The tourist would be charged with violating the poor muggers civil rights. :rolleyes:

Jeez, he was just trying to earn a living, everyone has to have a job.

His job was to terrorize innocent senior citizens. I'm sure he would never have harmed anyone.

Don't F., um no , mess with seniors. I applaud the man for doing what he had to do. OK maybe not the killing but, I'm sure he acted on instinct. I'm also glad that he was able to go free. Most popular guy on the cruise now. I bet no one messes with his drinks. :D

Killing him was definately the right thing to do. Awesome job by that man. A hero.

When I started this post I did not have glee that someone was killed, but I am not sorry he was either. I also am very proud that this man stood up for himself and others in the facer of danger.

As for not stopping there and comparing it to incidents that happen everywhere, this one was different. Not only is it poor and some feel it is dangerous, this time a cruise passenger killed one of them. Like others have said, who knows what sort of retribution there might be. I don't know if they arrested the other two thugs either. This concerns me as we leave in less than 2 weeks for Costa Rica.

Killing him was definately the right thing to do. Awesome job by that man. A hero.

It's figures you would say something like that. I don't condone what he did but to see you so happy about someone who was killed is sad.

Be careful when visiting us in Florida. We citizens can now legally stand our ground anywhere and use deadly force if necessary. No longer have to drag the criminal into the house or flee first.

I will be visiting Costa Rica in a few weeks and am looking forward to it. One less criminal to worry about. Maybe the others will think twice.

It's figures you would say something like that. I don't condone what he did but to see you so happy about someone who was killed is sad.

It figures that you can't comprehend what I wrote. I'm happy that he saved innocents and acted in a heroic manner not that he killed someone. However, if those heroic actions resulted in one less scumbag on this planet then so be it.

Should Carnival stop going to Limon

Absolutely, positively no way!

We were there in January on the Liberty and had one of our best cruise experiences ever!

The elderly gentleman who had to kill his attacker is a hero! Even the local police shrugged at the loss of this criminal.

One of the couples on our next cruise was beaten and robbed while attempting to park for a cruise. In MIAMI. Should CCL put their home office on the market. And move to where? Someplace that has NO poor people to pay any attention to 2000 Americans with pockets FULL of dollars being disgorged on them 2,3, 4 times a week? What's the GPS on that place?

Suspending Limon due to an attempted robbery would depend on how many more incidents Carnival has had reported. Suspending due to a possible reaction to the death of one of their own [the criminal element] seems prudent.

St. Croix visits were stopped by most if not all lines due to numerous criminal incidents even tho it was as nice as many others places still on itineraries.

Dan

One of the couples on our next cruise was beaten and robbed while attempting to park for a cruise. In MIAMI. Should CCL put their home office on the market. And move to where? Someplace that has NO poor people to pay any attention to 2000 Americans with pockets FULL of dollars being disgorged on them 2,3, 4 times a week? What's the GPS on that place?

Suspending Limon due to an attempted robbery would depend on how many more incidents Carnival has had reported. Suspending due to a possible reaction to the death of one of their own [the criminal element] seems prudent.

St. Croix visits were stopped by most if not all lines due to numerous criminal incidents even tho it was as nice as many others places still on itineraries.

Dan

Wow you already know what is going to happen on your next cruise. Since you know these people are going to be mugged maybe you should warn them or the authorities? Just a thought

It figures that you can't comprehend what I wrote. I'm happy that he saved innocents and acted in a heroic manner not that he killed someone. However, if those heroic actions resulted in one less scumbag on this planet then so be it.

It figures you'd say something mean cuz that's just your nature.

Wow you already know what is going to happen on your next cruise. Since you know these people are going to be mugged maybe you should warn them or the authorities? Just a thought

Ah, a half fast attempt at humor.

Re-read my post, they are going on our next cruise, they were robbed before a previous cruise. K? :rolleyes::)

One of the couples on our next cruise WAS beaten and robbed while attempting to park for A cruise.

Dan

I was there 2 years ago on the princess coral > I went to the beach area that had the problem with a couple of other shipmates. Very perty. OUR driver warned us of bad areas and kept doors locked most times we were in vehicle Also when he went to outer areas he stoped along the way and picked up an extra person to to ride with us . Being an ex military I always watch around at all times . I looked foward to seeing a different area this time. I thought the people very very frendly. If carnivel did talk about not going there it was to bring pressue to the local police to protect passengers and locals to leave passengers alone while visiting. THE only problem we had was pan handlers on streets and people trying as usual to sell you worthless junk. But I think about every Island has been that way including mexico which I think is now normal . Hopefully things will go well Ill be there on LEGEND leaving in 3 weeks CARL

Archived