Who thinks Carnival should dump Costa Rica?

markandstacie00

I just am wondering if this incident had happend to tourists from another cruiseline would Carnival still be considering changing itineraries. It seems that only Carnival is talking about dropping Costa Rica. Are any of the other cruise lines talking about this. Just wondering.

Maybe after this weeks violence, Roatan would be a better choice in the area.

I DON'T favor dumping Costa Rica as a port of call. Street crime is something that can happen in most countries these days. What happened in Limon is that a mini-van hired by the cruise passengers, not sanctioned by Carnival, took a wrong turn into a bad neighborhood and some local punks thought that the passengers were easy pickings. The same thing could just as easily have happened if a chartered mini-van had taken a wrong turn in Galveston, Tampa, New Orleans, or Miami, except that the robbers would have been better-armed.

I DON'T favor dumping Costa Rica as a port of call. Street crime is something that can happen in most countries these days. What happened in Limon is that a mini-van hired by the cruise passengers' date=' not sanctioned by Carnival, took a wrong turn into a bad neighborhood and some local punks thought that the passengers were easy pickings. The same thing could just as easily have happened if a chartered mini-van had taken a wrong turn in Galveston, Tampa, New Orleans, or Miami, except that the robbers would have been better-armed.[/quote']

Hear, hear! We were just in Limon, on the Legend, and booked an independent tour. The whole time we felt very safe and that we were in capable hands.

So true! This could actually be 'long term' in nature..! Carnival no longer 'cruises' to Aruba.. Hmmm.m.m.m....:rolleyes:

What are you implying there?? Aruba is very safe compared to many of these other destinations...it simply costs more for them to sail there. Given the cheap prices Carnival offers for Destiny to the locals, they don't want to spend the money on fuel.

Aruba has more cruisers coming in than before, new cruiseport improvements, and new resorts. Why on earth would you bring Aruba into this?? Unreal

IMHO there are certain ports where it is probably best to take a ship tour or a larger tour.

I agree with the idea that Carnival may be smart to skip Costa Rica for awhile.....the people there may be angry about this incident, and there may be some thugs who want to "retaliate"

As for ports that snooze and lose?? St Croix is a great example...9 or 10 years ago it was pretty busy, lots of ships going to St Thomas stopped there...they had a new port dock that held ? 2 ships and a port area. They also refused to organize their cab drivers, refused to do much about crimes against tourists, or make an example of muggers and stuff.

Now hardly any ships go to St Croix.

Belize could be another port that gets dropped if they don't regulate themselves. The $$$ are important to these poor countries. They have to step up and make an example of "bad guys" and also police their ports,

and regulate their tour guides and drivers.

The other option?? "Carnival Made" ports....ie, Costa Maya, Turks and Caicos.....these seem to be doing well. They are a new evolution of the "Private Island" idea...the Private Islands were a response to needing a safe, fuel efficient place to take passengers.

As for Aruba...everyone who goes there seems to love it, very safe and it has other ships replacing Destiny. HAL is actually doing a few "test" trips there on a new 7 night itinerary. Should be interesting

For folks who now are heading to Roatan instead of Limon, check out our port profile on the Honduran island: http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=156.

MargieNJ, we have the same questions here -- whether other cruise lines will divert away from Limon. I have to think that Carnival Corp. lines may well follow in Carnival's footsteps; may be a corporate order. We'll check it out on Monday and feature a follow-up in news.

I did a quick check on which lines call at Limon and among them are Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Holland America, Cunard, MSC, Oceania and Regent Seven Seas. And of course several Carnival ships.

I can't help but feel really sad about the impact this will have -- this is having -- on the people of Limon, the tourist-oriented businesses, etc. It's just such a waste...that a handful of bad apples can make it painful (at the very least) for everyone else. Can't remember who brought up St. Croix earlier in the thread but they were spot-on: that island lost ships because it didn't handle the crime situation (it affected crew as well as passengers). And very few have returned. It's too bad; it's a gorgeous island with a lot to show.

In that case the government failed its own citizens.

I lived in St. Thomas and grew to understand there's no such thing as "paradise" -- that island has its problems too, for sure. But I echo the sentiment that in most cases if you don't go looking for trouble you won't find it.

This situation alas falls outside that 'old wives tale'. And that's what's scary and, I think, a bit compelling about it.

I would have liked to see the tourist organization in Costa Rica stepping up to the plate to assure us all that something's being done. The silence, however, is deafening.

Carolyn

So the cruiser who took out the bad guy was a retired Marine. Thank you US Marines. I hope there is a Marine around if I ever need one. On our cruise 2 months after 9/11 we had two marines, husband and wife at our table, that showed up for formal night in full dress uniforms. We didn't know they were Marines until that dinner.

It brought a tear to my eyes; I was over whelmed with pride for them. Needless to say, they didn't have to buy a drink the rest of the cruise.

Every port has problems, including Miami. A tourist is a target everywhere. In Florida, there was a problem with rental cars, they all used to have Manatee County license plates and were therefore targets.

Lots of MIS information on these boards LOL> I dont think any rental cars ever had "special" interest plates (ie Manatee)?

Rentals used to have the letter "R" for rental on the lic plates

..which made them an easy target.They have not had the "R" on them for years now, since a spate of tourist targeted carjackings years ago.

Many people, me included, have "Save the Manatee" lic plate, they are NOT targets that I have ever heard of....they are a red and turquoise plate with a Manatee...they cost a bit more than other plates and the extra $$ goes to help protect our Manatees. My bf has a "Save the Florida Panther" lic plate

What are you implying there?? Aruba is very safe compared to many of these other destinations...it simply costs more for them to sail there. Given the cheap prices Carnival offers for Destiny to the locals, they don't want to spend the money on fuel.

Aruba has more cruisers coming in than before, new cruiseport improvements, and new resorts. Why on earth would you bring Aruba into this?? Unreal

And so, since your opinion to you is right, then no one else has a right to their own opinion?? Any post I make is IMHO, and is not to be ridiculed by anyone.. :)

Aruba is a port that Carnival no longer frequents.. Do you really think it's specifically because of fuel costs..?? It may be, but IMHO, its NOT! ;) unreal..:p

My dh lived in San Jose CR for 3 years. I was there a lot. Never once did I feel the hair on my neck stand up because of a dangerous situation. It just never happened. Living amongst them was wonderful, warm and their country is breathtakingly beautiful. It is a shame that they will discontinue their service to Limon. Yes it is true they have come to depend upon our tourist dollars for their living. I have traveled all over that country and a few bad apples should not deter everyone from entering the country.

I think dropping Costa Rica was a big mistake. Stuff happens. There have been incidents at many ports, this one just happened to hit the news.

I remember when St. Croix was dropped. It was for mutliple complaints on a number of cruises, not a one time incident.

And so, since your opinion to you is right, then no one else has a right to their own opinion?? Any post I make is IMHO, and is not to be ridiculed by anyone.. :)

Aruba is a port that Carnival no longer frequents.. Do you really think it's specifically because of fuel costs..?? It may be, but IMHO, its NOT! ;) unreal..:p

Well I could think it was because of fairies with pixie dust..that might be my "humble opinion" but it would be a wrong one

when it comes to safety and information about safety, backing up your opinion with facts is needed

There have been NO incidents in Aruba on Carnival cruise ships, no complaints....and people feel very safe there

IF you are somehow implying one missing girl almost 2 years ago, who left a bar drunk with 3 locals has anything to do with cruiseline safety, please show some correlation

As for St Croix...it was NOT one incident, it was a series of incidents. Mostly it was the fact that a carnival cruiser was shot in the stomach by a mugger on a beach...and then the resident judge on the island gave the guy a 1 year sentence with time served. The judge cited the fact that the injured cruiser did not come back to the island for the trial.

On top of that, the politicos of St Croix, the police chief, all ignored various official requests from Carnival and other cruise lines, and travel agents to crack down on the increasing crime

I personally was on a pretty "uncomfortable" tour with a driver there....nothing bad happened, but we felt pressured to buy junk from his various "aunts" and "uncles" at their houses/stands or whatever they had...really creepy

Now...maybe YOU can list things that happened to cruisers in Aruba. Please link to some posts where people felt scared or uncomfortable, or were mugged, or even where they were bothered by hair braiders and pickpockets. I don't think you can list any/many

Therefore your "opinion" is not based in any facts

There are various "real" posts about real dangers in some ports : Belize, Panama, Jamaica, and now Limon. I think when it comes to safety people should post truths and not just opinions

Opinions are fine about chocolate melting cake or which sort of stateroom to book : when it comes to safety, please post facts.

In Florida, there was a problem with rental cars, they all used to have Manatee County license plates and were therefore targets.

Lots of MIS information on these boards LOL> I dont think any rental cars ever had "special" interest plates (ie Manatee)? ....

Many people, me included, have "Save the Manatee" lic plate, they are NOT targets that I have ever heard of....they are a red and turquoise plate with a Manatee...they cost a bit more than other plates and the extra $$ goes to help protect our Manatees. My bf has a "Save the Florida Panther" lic plate

ROTFL - He said Manatee County, not "Save the Manatee". :rolleyes:

Lots of MIS information on these boards LOL> I dont think any rental cars ever had "special" interest plates (ie Manatee)?

Rentals used to have the letter "R" for rental on the lic plates

..which made them an easy target.They have not had the "R" on them for years now, since a spate of tourist targeted carjackings years ago.

Rental cars also used to have signs advertising their companies. On the back of the car it would say Hertz, Enterprise, ect. In Florida you can carry, and many people do, concealed handguns. Tourists coming into the state in the early 90's were easy targets for many reasons. They did not have a gun, and most had plenty of cash. Electronic banking and teller machines were used much less 16 years ago when this was an issue. After several shootings and many more robberies, the state made changes to the plates and companies removed the stickers. They also started having guards at many rest stops along the interstate, which is where several of these thugs commited their crimes.

A year and half ago my brother and I and my 9 yo dd, rented a car in San Jose (Costa Rica) and just too off driving around the country.. we had a great time and found very nice honest people, now I am sure there are bad crooked people there somewhere but we did'n't encounter any in the two weeks we were there.. and we were as vulnerable as you could possibly be.. more so than some cruisers taking an excursion. Things happen every where, just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. But it would be a shame for cruisers not to experience one of the most beautiful places on earth because of one incident. In fact, the only thing that scared the beegeezees out of me were those costa rican roads!!!:eek:

Yes...I realize he said "Manatee county">..but that was misinformation

Manataee county had nothing to do with it.

actually years ago all rental car tags here started with the letter R which is how the crooks really spotted them...

and yes, the companies did have stickers on the cars...and often vanity plate holders that advertised their rental car company

Manatees had nothing to do with it :)

~~~~~~~~~ I am still waiting for some links that show that Aruba is unsafe, or where any one on a cruise had a bad incident there

~~~~~~~~~ Back on topic of dangerous ports, it is scary to think what happens IF something goes wrong

http://www.myspace.com/attackedbymonkey

So far the maruba resort in Belize has done nothing for Kelly...some of us have written to island marketing, belize cruise excursions, and they have removed maruba spa from their list of tours....also they refunded a gal's deposit for the horseback riding at maruba....they know this place is unsafe. This was a pet monkey, and he is still at the resort.

~~~~~~~~ As for New Orleans...just like St Croix, they need to work on their problem or lose the business

For those worried about Florida : the state, and the city of Miami, "solved" the problem of rental car jackings, no more "r" on the tags, no more car ads or stickers on the cars...better signage at airports, warnings, etc...Florida was pro-active on this.

St Croix was not. St Croix's police and judges pretty much thumbed their nose at the cruiselines and those who were hurt there.

Now no ships go to St Croix which is sad, cause it hurts their people. Actually they had a great cruiseport that was new and pretty cool, steel bands, guys on stilts, pretty cool. However, they did NOT regulate/police their tour drivers, or put extra police at tourist spots etc.

I still have not seen any proof of any danger in Aruba...it seems to be one of the safer and more prosperous islands?? Grand Cayman also felt very safe and clean, I thought I was in Boca Raton actually LOL.

~~~~~~~~~ I am still waiting for some PROOF that show that Aruba is unsafe, or where any one on a cruise had a bad incident there

Dangers in New Orleans are not my "humble opinion"..they are verifiable facts and stats...and sad news stories. Got something to show about Aruba? Then please show it. Thanks

I still stand by the "Manatee county" thing, not the Manatee animal plates.

So, is it wise then to travel around the port and the country dragging along those "free" plastic Carnival, RCCL and the HAL cloth tote bags advertising "Hey, I just got off the ship."? Add to that the sail'n sign cards and passport hanging around your neck in your 100% authentic, clear plastic holder.

So tens of thousands of cruise passengers should be denied a port in case some criminal may want revenge? I hope we go to Coasta Rico on our upcoming cruise as planned. A lot of Americans have retired to live in Costa Rica. I can think of worse places.

On a stop in Montego Bay two years ago, one of the passengers on our ship was robbed and knifed, another group was held hostage by the van driver until they handed over all their money. Every port has potential problems, Hey, I live in a surburban neighborhood and my house was broken into. Things can happen anywhere.

I am still waiting for some links that show that Aruba is unsafe, or where any one on a cruise had a bad incident there.
No one said Aruba was unsafe. It was said that Carnival no longer goes to Aruba; reasons were not specified, but you apparently know know that the incidents aren't related?? Huh? :p

I still have not seen any proof of any danger in Aruba...it seems to be one of the safer and more prosperous islands?? Grand Cayman also felt very safe and clean, I thought I was in Boca Raton actually LOL.
That wasn't the point.. You are taking things out of context! Are you positively sure that Carnival discontinued sailing to Aruba "to save fuel"?? OK, I believe you...:rolleyes:

Dangers in New Orleans are not my "humble opinion"..they are verifiable facts and stats...and sad news stories.

The OP never said there was 'danger' in New Orleans.. Musta' been you, or someone else! ;)

This is a discussion board, and 'opinions' are always expressed! If everything was construed as 'fact', there would be no use to have a 'board' as such. Keep 'flaming' and this thread will be history, thru no fault of mine.. :D

There are discrepancies between what the North American media and the leading Costa Rican daily, La Nacion, has reported regarding the robbery attempt involving Carnival cruise tourists in the port of Limon, Costa Rica.

North American reports seemed to rely heavily, though not entirely, on Carnival's PR dedpartment statements.

Two days of reports in the Costa Rican daily, La Nacion, including quotes from the bus driver involved, say:

-- the tourist involved in killing the robber was not an ex-military man, and did not have martial arts training, despite initial reports.

-- the robber did not attempt to rob the tourists. He boarded the bus with the tourists in it and tried to rob the driver.

-- when several tourists jumped the robber on the bus, the driver shut the bus door and sped off, leaving the other two robbers outside.

-- when the driver stopped at a safe place (near the port's customs area) the robber was dead from having been pinned against the window by one or more tourists.

-- After interviewing the tourists, local police let them reboard their ship, and decided the incident involved self-defence.

The Spanish language newspaper stories, which ran Feb. 22 and Feb. 23, can be found at http://www.nacion.com/ln_ee/2007/febrero/22/sucesos1004352.html (Feb. 22) and at http://www.nacion.com/ln_ee/2007/febrero/23/sucesos1005780.html

Only the tourists involved know whether or not the killing of the robber was completely accidental. Locals probably suspect tourist mob rage at seeing the robber hold up the driver, and possibly fearing the same would happen to them, might have led to over-reaction in the tourists' "restraint" of the individual. This is why some suggested some locals might try to retaliate against next-day cruise passengers on shore.

Costa Rica, like almost all countries, especially developing ones, has problems with crime, though most Costa Ricans are honest and friendly.

John, thank you for the update. Developing countries are not the only nations that suffer from this type of crime. Robberies are quite common in the USA. I am very grateful that the Costa Rican officials were able to make a determination of self defense in such short order. I fear that such a swift determination in a homicide would be impossible here in the USA. It is always tragic when someone is killed, but people must be able to resist assault with reasonable force.

Having visited Costa Rica I know how beautiful the country is and how warm the citizens of that nation are. It would be a shame if this incident were to prevent others from experiencing its warmth. I sincerely hope this doesn't happen and will be very happy to visit Costa Rica again.

o·pin·ion

A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: "The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion" (Elizabeth Drew).

As far as facts go..... everybody seems to have their own. Just yesterday, I read 4 different accounts of the incident in Limon. All by reporters who had the facts. So who really knows?

In my humble opinion sharecruises is certainly very adversarial. (and those facts speak for themselves)

Costa Rica probably isn't any more dangerous than any other port, but if Carnival wants to protect me and the rest of the passengers, by not going there, then it's okay by me.

I visited Costa Rica last year. It seemed alot nicer than Panama...which Carnival should be worried about. The only thing with Costa Rica was that there was long bus rides 1.5 hours to any attaction. Another port Carnival should be worried about is Jamica. Some thing bad could happen in any of Carnival's Ports. If you think of it Downtown Miami isn't the safest place.

Bob

I know it is being reported that Costa Rica has been dropped on future cruises, but there have been no press releases, no announcements on their website, or no change in future itineraries. I called Carnival and the person I talked to said that nothing has happened except for the one stop for the recent Legend. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

Don't F., um no , mess with seniors. I applaud the man for doing what he had to do. OK maybe not the killing but, I'm sure he acted on instinct. I'm also glad that he was able to go free. Most popular guy on the cruise now. I bet no one messes with his drinks. :D

and i bet most people were scaird s**tless of him too. gotta do what ya gotta do for self preservation. but to be hangin' out on lido w/ a guy who just killed a guy is a little creepy.

Archived