Rough seas leaving NYC

dkstar

For those of you who have sailed out of NYC recently how was the ship leaving? My cabin is on Deck 11 mid-ship. Should i take something with me? I have cruised many times but not out of New York. I'm alittle concerned now that i have heard the waters get rough. Thanks!!

For those of you who have sailed out of NYC recently how was the ship leaving? My cabin is on Deck 11 mid-ship. Should i take something with me? I have cruised many times but not out of New York. I'm alittle concerned now that i have heard the waters get rough. Thanks!!

My last 6 cruises have been out of NY...3 in February, and last year the day of the big snow storm. I have been very lucky, not once did I have rough seas. Its just a matter of luck.......Dont worry, you can always get a pill from the front desk if you need. Have a great time and don't think about it...Are you sailing on the Dawn?? Shes a great ship.

Maria

Hi Maria

I am sailing on Spirit March 18th. (WooHoo can't wait!!)Thanks for the advice. Are the pills free at the front desk? I think i should bring them "just in case". I just dont want to be all drowse out from sea sickness pills. Plus i have never had to take them on other cruises but then again i have always left out of either Port Canaveral or Miami.

We sailed on the Spirit in Dec, we too were worried about rough seas the first and last days, however we were very lucky the seas were very calm. Weather is luck. We talked to many experienced cruises who have sailed out of NYC several times and for the most part the weather was fine. Occassionaly there is rough seas but usually just th e first day out or the last day returning, so it wise to bring something incase. We brought along a variety but most recommended was ginger.

The spirit is a great ship, we had a fantastic cruise. No matter what the weather is like I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Mike

The seas out of and back to NY can be and often are rough. I would say that calm seas are the exception, not the rule. To be safe, take something non-drowsy the morning of the cruise and then at about 2 pm before you sail and see how you feel. We used the electric band in December on the Spirit and it worked flawlessly. The seas were quite rough the first 2 nights out and the last 2 back. The ship handles it very well but you are aware of it, and if being aware of it bothers you then take something. Don't wait until you're already sick.

Hi Maria

I am sailing on Spirit March 18th. (WooHoo can't wait!!)Thanks for the advice. Are the pills free at the front desk? I think i should bring them "just in case". I just dont want to be all drowse out from sea sickness pills. Plus i have never had to take them on other cruises but then again i have always left out of either Port Canaveral or Miami.

Weather is weather. It could be nice in NYC and rough by NC. You never know.

The Dawn is a very stable ship and rides the waves well:)

If you are worried, bring Bonine. Our friends took it for our last 11 day cruise and were fine. You have to take the pills before you feel bad. They don't work after the fact.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

The cruise I took out of NYC the waves were hitting 30 feet due to a mid summer version of a Nor'easter. There was a lot pitch and the dancers in the shows were having problems standing up when the ship went over a big wave. If you were not used to it, you were going to get seasick. The rough areas are b/w NYC and the Outer Bank of North Carolina

The seas out of and back to NY can be and often are rough. I would say that calm seas are the exception, not the rule. To be safe, take something non-drowsy the morning of the cruise and then at about 2 pm before you sail and see how you feel. We used the electric band in December on the Spirit and it worked flawlessly. The seas were quite rough the first 2 nights out and the last 2 back. The ship handles it very well but you are aware of it, and if being aware of it bothers you then take something. Don't wait until you're already sick.

Our experience has been quite the opposite. We have sailed six winter cruises out of New York and have rarely had extremely rough weather. We sailed on the Spirit on Feb. 10th and had two unbelievably calm days going south. It got a little rough the night of our first sea day returning to New York (while we were sleeping) but it calmed down again for our final sea day. I agree you should take Bonine (generic Meclizine) before you get sick. If you start to feel queasy, you might find ginger capsules helpful. Good luck.

It can be anywhere from dead calm to a bucking bronco...(I have used that before)...Last trip the only place it was rough was around cape Hatteras and off the coast of Florida---not in and out of NY although some people said it was rough around 4 am leaving NY we slept right through it.

We were mid on 4 and it was like a rock. the higher you are the more movement you will feel...its just the way it is. The stabilizers work to dampen out the roll(side to side). The Pitch (up and down) is dependent on the water and how well the ship cuts through it. and when it gets to yaw(bouncing around like a cork) watch out :)

I hope that doesn't make any one sick from reading....

The patch(scopolamine) works but makes a lot of people very dizzy and sleepy.

Rough seas? It's all relative! Sail a tall ship in a force 9 and you'll see what rough seas are really like! :)

Bonine is what many in the tall ship community use. It's really effective, and you only have to take it once a day. You're better off taking it before you go to bed because it can make you sleepy. But you have to take it BEFORE you get seasick. It won't be much help once you start feeling green.

If you do start feeling ill.. two good recommendations-- REAL Ginger Ale (you can get it a Whole Foods). Make sure it has real ginger.. not ginger flavoring. Candied ginger works well too.

My recommendations to avoid sea sickness: Ginger tablets- available at any pharmacy as well as Bonine. Both work well. The great thing about the ginger tablet is that there are no side affects.

Happy cruising and don't worry about the seas! :)

Most ship captains try to adjust if possible. Last year pulling into New York on the dawn (we arrived the day of the big snow storm in early feb :) the captain pushed the ship pretty fast during the night while he figured most guests would be asleep, I woke up around 3am and it was rockin and rollin but as soon as the sun started crepping up he hit the brakes hard and we putted along for the last 12 hours of the trip. Most will also try to stear away from bad weather when possible as long as it doesnt affect schedules or use up alot of gas. On my last carnival ship in september there were spotty rain showers off of florida, you could actually see them off in the distance here and there, the captain kept making course corrections to avoid them and keep the party and sun going on the pool deck.

I think i am opting for the Ginger tablets. Sounds like less of a side affect. Plus i want to be able to have a few drinks and not be a stupid drunk on Bonine!! LOL Thanks to all for the suggestion I truely appreciate it!!

19 more days...

Bonine comes in a non-drowsy formula. I get motion sickness just about anywhere, so I was very nervous on my first cruise. I took my first Bonine in the a.m. on the first day of the cruise, and continued taking one each morning. I ate what I wanted, drank moderately and never once had any side effects from the Bonine, nor did my travel companion. I also never experienced any seasickness. On my second cruise, we had very, very rough seas, and the Bonine worked like a charm. We felt the motion, but it wasn't a problem for either of us. You won't be a stupid drunk, unless you're one before you set sail!;)

We were on deck 11 amidships on Spirit's Jan 23rd sailing. Going out it was a tiny bit rough, seas were probably about 4-6 feet. After that most days coming and going were in the 0.5 - 4 foot range, sometimes almost calm water - except for our third sea day heading back, I believe it was. We were pacing the bad storm that had caused so many tornadoes in the south and that day we had waves in the 8 - 10 foot range, I'd say. It only lasted a few hours, though.

One thing I learned in the 4-8 foot range it's not so much the size of the wave as it is the direction they're hitting the ship. Seems like you feel a jarring or pitching most when the waves are hitting on a diagonal.

Have a great trip!

Teri

We traveled from NY on Feb-10 and had very calm seas. I was traveling with my sister that is a nurse, and she was in charge of the "in case" medecine.

We had Bonine in pills, but we also had a few patches and some in suppository form. If you realize too late you are getting sick and can't hold down the medecine, the patch and suppository :p can come in very handy.

Have a great trip !

I am very prone to motion sickness in a car, bus, airplane or ship and depend on Bonine wheneve I travel. We have sailed out of NYC once in July and twice in October and had rough to very rough seas all three times.

I take a Bonine the night BEFORE the cruise and then one each night thereafter and several times take an extra in the morning if rough seas. (the dosage is 1 to 2 daily).

As others have said, the key is to prevent the sea sickness as once you are sick the ginger may help but you want to stay ahead of it as to not waste any precious vacation time.

Last Bermuda trip in October the seas were so rough we were raised up in the bed during the night. Most of the ship were sick for two days and I took an extra tablet that morning and stayed ahead of it.

Actually the rough waters are comical as everyone kind of walks sideways as if having too much to drink!!

Don't worry it is not scary at all. I am a huge scaredy cat and would never keep booking cruises in October if it was an awful experience.

Enjoy your first cruise!!

oh crap...my very first cruise is next saturday leaving from NYC...now im really scared about the rough waters...not seasickness, although i will be taking it way ahead of time, but scared of the rocking and rolling..is it scary?

There is certainly NOTHING to be scared about. The rough seas we're discussing do not translate into an unsafe voyage, and certainly does not cause the ship to move in the way you are imagining. The NY area seas are so familiar to ship captains they know exactly what to do to insure your comfort and safety (as well as the safety of the billion dollar ship). The Captain has a family, too and wants to arrive safely. Don't get spooked by what is being written here. The NY area Atlantic waters can be and frequently are "rough." But that's perfectly normal. And it doesn't mean "stormy" or dangerous. They're not.

These ships are designed to withstand very stormy seas, I wouldn't worry. I would be more worried about sea sickness, much more of a problem than the noro virus. Take your meds beforeand during a cruise if you think you will get sea sick.

If you enjoy roller coasters, you will be fine. A roller coaster has much more movement than a ship even in rough seas. No one can control the weather or the seas.

oh crap...my very first cruise is next saturday leaving from NYC...now im really scared about the rough waters...not seasickness, although i will be taking it way ahead of time, but scared of the rocking and rolling..is it scary?

Don't be scared. These are modern ships with all kinds of safety features. They have stabilizers which keep the rocking and rolling to a real minimum.

Again, it's all relative. I sail little 60 foot schooners and 150 foot square sailed ships that bounce around like a cork. It gets so rough on them, that we often tie ourselves in at night with lee cloths so we don't fall out of bed!

Sailing a schooner in rough weather is like riding on the Cyclone roller coaster on Coney Island. Sailing on a cruise ship in rough weather is like riding on a merry go round. Truly. It's no big deal. Cruise ships are very, very, very safe. Relax and enjoy!

I was on the 7/8/06 & the 2/8/07 cruises out of NY on the Dawn and the one during the summer was much rougher than the one in the winter....in fact this past February it was only moderatly rocking. Not bad at all, very mild.

Sorry I cannot help but say....what a load of nonsense.

I routinely travel Lake Ontario in a 27 foot cuddy. I have been in 10 ft seas with very short steep troughs. No I certainly do not make a point of it. Anything over 5 ft is a problem. There are breaking waves and what we call rollers. A 5 ft roller is a piece of cake, a 5 ft breaking wave jars. A rough day out of NYC is 10 foot breaking waves, maybe the rollers are bigger.....but your in a 800 foot long boat! The boat moves...all boats move.

Archived