packing for Alaska

GORDONCHICK

I'm going to be the odd man out here, and state that if you get cold easily (as I do) I would take a parka or warm coat. I have a fur lined full length rain coat with a hood. I also took a hooded scarf and gloves. It was a pain to carry the coat from sunny Southern California on the plane, but once on the ship in May '99, I was sure glad I had it. I don't think the temp ever got above 50 degrees. I would have either suffered the cold, missed excursions to stay on the warm ship, or had to buy a coat in Alaska (hmmm?)

And I disagree with mytime53 on the knit pants. I don't wear jeans at all, all of my pants are knit. I have the pedal-pusher style, and the regular slacks length in varying thicknesses. I do have sweatpants that will be going with me even in August. The temp history website says 50-60 degrees in August and that isn't warm to me. But I will also have my cozies (lightweight long underwear) in case temps dip lower.

I'd rather have the things I know will make me comfortable, than to be freezing and not have them. If you don't need them, great, but if you do and don't have them, how miserable are you going to be?

Each person knows their comfort zone. Pack accordingly. Just because one person is comfortable in a fleece vest doesn't mean everyone will be. My husband never wears a coat here at home and he's always in shorts even in the winter, but he did wear jeans and a jacket in Alaska.

OK silly question but, we will be coming from way South TX. Our cruise is May 13th. By then it will surely be mid 90s here:(

So my ?? is would it be crazy for us to bring our snow pants to wear over our pants? I am thinking good cause if it rains we stay dry. I already know that we will be cold no matter what lol. But not sure if it is worth lugging them or not.

TIA

I think everyone here has some good advice and it is helping me a lot. I live in Michigan and am ALWAYS cold, it takes a good 90 degree day to make me feel warm, so this is why I am asking all the questions about warm clothing.

I think the people that say layering are correct, as I am always putting on quite a few layers. I'm thinking my lightweight long underwear is a good idea, and one pair of my lined pants. I really want to go out and explore, but if I'm cold - I'll be bundled up in my cabin and won't move, cold makes me immobilie!!

WE were in SF last summer and I was cold. We wore jackets the entire time, no shorts at all!!

As for the GPS, that's a great idea. My DH has taken his portable one on all our cruises and has a great time charting the journey.

Thanks again for all the help and ideas.

I am also one of those people who never can get warm, I still wear my flannel pj's in the summer! And being from North Dakota doesn't seem to make me any hardier. I am packing my cuddle-duds, lined windpants, a heavy fleece jacket, my goretex jacket, hat and gloves and my goretex hiking boots. I think it is worse to be wet and cold! I also bought a pair of goretex pants and I plan on wearing sweatpants under them. I agree with some others who said if they are cold then you will not want to move out of your warm cabin.

OK silly question but, we will be coming from way South TX. Our cruise is May 13th. By then it will surely be mid 90s here:(

So my ?? is would it be crazy for us to bring our snow pants to wear over our pants? I am thinking good cause if it rains we stay dry. I already know that we will be cold no matter what lol. But not sure if it is worth lugging them or not.

TIA

Hello Corpus from E. Texas - we have cruised Alaska twice and are about to return in July. For travel on the plane to Vancouver, I always wear jeans or corduroy pants (Land's End) with a tee and flannel shirt, then throw in a light weight fleece jacket that folds easily in my carry on. Or I might wear a cotton or flannel lined jogging suit w/short sleeved tee. On the ship I will wear the same items that you can layer off and on and in port, same type items, but will add a rain jacket with hood. (folks in Alaska don't carry umbrellas). Have a great trip. gg

I am also one of those people who never can get warm, I still wear my flannel pj's in the summer! And being from North Dakota doesn't seem to make me any hardier. I am packing my cuddle-duds, lined windpants, a heavy fleece jacket, my goretex jacket, hat and gloves and my goretex hiking boots. I think it is worse to be wet and cold! I also bought a pair of goretex pants and I plan on wearing sweatpants under them. I agree with some others who said if they are cold then you will not want to move out of your warm cabin.

vfb2girls, remember protecting your head if you are afraid of cold. The head loses 80% of the body heat when not covered. I would suggest to bring a headband, or a knitted hat that can cover down to both ears.

If you have one, definitely pack your GPS. Great for knowing exactly where you are and what you're looking at.

I never thought of that! I have a Garmin Streetpilot. It would work plugged into the outlet in the room, but not on our pre-cruse train trip...nothing to plug it into!

But doesn't the ship provide a map each day with info on longitude and latitude etc?

I never thought of that! I have a Garmin Streetpilot. It would work plugged into the outlet in the room, but not on our pre-cruse train trip...nothing to plug it into!

But doesn't the ship provide a map each day with info on longitude and latitude etc?

Are you SURE there's nothing to plug into on the train?? I bet if you needed power to recharge your camera battery there are plugs there for that, so you should ask the train folks about that.

As for pictures, I was in China for two weeks, took over 8,000 pics and uploaded them to my iPod every night for storage until I could get home and put them on the computer to edit. Worked great!

As for clothing, I have been on tour all over the US with a Broadway show this year and we have named ourselves the "Bad Weather Tour...want bad weather? BOOK US!!" We were in Denver for the double blizzards in December, Seattle for the 70mph wind storms, and many other COLD horrible weather situations this year...so...I am basically adding one formal wear outfit to what I've toured with over the last year and have my packing done!! LOL Sad but ALMOST true:rolleyes:

TIA

If Corpus Christ is way South TX, then I'm scared to ask what our area qualifies as, since it's a 2+ hour drive north of here to get there! :D

I feel your pain too... we're going in late August, when it's likely to be 100-degrees or so everyday here. It'll be a huge shock to our system, and frankly I'm a cold-wimp. But it'll be funnnnnnnnn and different! Can't wait! :) :)

-EmeraldTx in the Rio Grande Valley.

Archived