packing for Alaska

GORDONCHICK

Okay, we've been on Caribbean cruises, so I know the packing usuals for that. What do I need for Alaska that I wouldn't in the Caribbean?

This will also be our first time to fly for a cruise, so I am concerned about the luggage weight and don't want to pack the kitchen sink!

http://www.alaskacruises.com/what_to_pack.asp

i went in sept, didn't take any heavy coat, just lots of layers. had good rain ponchos that folded up nice...that helped. good walking shoes are a plus. key work for me was: fleece!! fleece vest under my windbreaker, under the rain gear for the worst days. we have a old windbreaker with sweatshirt-type lining and a hood, perfect for our cruise.

Yes..you do want to pack in layers. The big difference from the Caribbean, obviously, is that you will be packing for not only warm weather. Alaska is unpredictable. Also, you may run into some cooler temps since you're going in September. It can rain just about any time. You have to be prepared with raingear, as well as lighter sweatshirts/jackets that you can layer, rather than taking any big bulky clothing. On the other hand, it can get warm. We went in July and there were days where shorts and t-shirts would have sufficed. Other days needed the long-sleeved layers. If you're going up above the circle at all (Barrow, etc.) you most definitely need to prepare for cool weather. Good sturdy walking shoes are a good item to pack. There have been many good threads on 'packing' that would be worth your time to look up and research. Don't overpack, however. With Alaska, there is a tendency for people to pack more than they really need. We had some clothes along that we never wore. Hope this helps a little.

Go and enjoy....don't forget the binoculars and plenty of film and/or camera memory.

Keith

....don't forget the binoculars and plenty of film and/or camera memory.

Keith

See, this is what I mean! Binoculars aren't something I would pack for the Caribbean (though maybe we should)! And I don't go anywhere without oodles and gobs of memory! I have two 2G CFs ready to go!

Do we need hats & gloves?

extension cord for plugging in those extra cords for charging batterines and such.

hoods or hats and gloves, mostly for glacier view or if you do a glacier landing.

over-the-door shoe organizer, for the bathroom..to keep the sink area for getting cluttered and keep things from falling in case of rough seas.

we took over 100 pictures a day (maybe more), i took our laptop, downloaded each day. that way i knew the pictures were being saved. some use other devices to save them on. we needed the laptop when we got to back to seattle anyway.

you will need several socks, in case of rain.

good walking shoes, preferred water-proof (you can get a spray that helps). keep the feet dry!!

See, we don't go anywhere without binocs--for Alaska, hubby is looking to get more (he wants one REALLY good pair for the balcony on the ship, and he'll take his smaller ones for shore excursions....:rolleyes: ) He also is currently deciding between oodles of memory cards for the camera, or an external hard drive to download all the photos (laptop too annoyingly large to pack--I need that space for other things!) We're ok with photos, but hubby likes to start taking movies with the camera too, and needs the high speed memory cards, and they STILL take up a lot of space, so I'm recommending the external hard drive:D

I posted my packing list previously.. Now I am recycling it.. :D

This list is what I used before..

Essential Items

oPassports/driver’s licenses/Birth Certificate for kids

oCruising tickets

oCash

oCouple of blank checks

·Clothing

oGloves ( I used my ski gloves, which worked out great!)

oSunglasses

odress shoes

osneakers

oflip-flops

owarm hat/scarf/face mask if you have..

oformal night dining jacket or dress

otwo dress shirts

oTies

otwo dress slacks

orain jacket with hood

osweater or fleece

o two pairs ofblue jeans/casual pants

ounderwears for at least seven nights

oSwimming trunks or swimsuits

oextra socks

opersonal hygiene items, tooth brush razor blade, etc

o

·Other items

o waterproof binoculars 10x42

o cameras/camcorder/Chargers/batteries/cassette/memory cards

ocell phones work in AK can be used as alarm clock

oLaptop with GPS receiver

oLand maps of the ports

oTravel itinerary for each port of call

oPower cord

oSandwich bags

ozip lock bags for any items that might get wet

oSunscreen

osmall flash light

osmall umbrellas

oFirst aid

See, this is what I mean! Binoculars aren't something I would pack for the Caribbean (though maybe we should)! And I don't go anywhere without oodles and gobs of memory! I have two 2G CFs ready to go!

Do we need hats & gloves?

You definitely need gloves. maybe bring a parka with hood will be better option than hat. remember the weather is Alaska is unpredictable.. it rains a lot.

Alaska cruise is mainly for its wild life and scenic viewing, I would not go without binoculars. Caribbean is mainly to relax and sunbathe on the beach, so bring a binocular there may raise some suspicion. :D

What about footwear? We are thinking of booking the "mushing" tour which involves a helicopter ride up a mountain and then meeting up with the guide for a dog sled ride. I am wondering if sneakers would be good enough or should I plan on packing some boots. We flew up and landed on a glacier in New Zealand and sneakers were ok there but it was only a quick spot to take a few pictures.

We saw this tour on the travel channel the other night and it looks terrific.

I often read how fleece is recommended. Does anyone know how you get around the static electricity? I have a horrible time with this. I have tried the static guard but I really don't like the smell of it, and it only works for a little while.

As to the OP, i'm going in May and I plan on taking layers.Long sleeved tees, then a couple of buttoned down long sleeved overshirts, then a lighweight windproof waterproof jacket I ordered from LLBEAN, a scarf, gloves, and i'm thinking I might bring some kind of hat, jeans and a couple of pairs of shoes, just in case one pair gets wet. Maybe a couple of lightweight sweatshirts. It sounds like alot but we were in Europe in Oct. for 12 days and we were able to pack all we needed to and still stayed under our luggage limit. If you need to you can send a few things out to the ships laundry. Good luck.

static is usually only a problem in dry climates, since some of the inside passage is a rain forest, that might not be a problem?

i took a pair of waterproof BASS shoes with leather uppers and non-slip soles. since they were ankle high, with long jeans they worked great.

2 pairs of jeans, 1 being worn and 1 to dry.

several pairs of socks

1 pair of tennis shoes, sprayed with waterproofing

1 hooded sweatshirt each (1 had windbreaker finish)

wrinkle releaser ...works great for what it's made for, works real well to freshen clothes up.

if it's damp, the rain slicker helps keep you warm, also. keeps the wind off.

on some of the whale watch or float planes you might need to go down a ramp to the dock. if the water level is low, the ramp could be steep..make sure you take something that has non-skid soles. same for the steps getting on and off the ship in the rain. they get slick.

static is usually only a problem in dry climates, since some of the inside passage is a rain forest, that might not be a problem?

i took a pair of waterproof BASS shoes with leather uppers and non-slip soles. since they were ankle high, with long jeans they worked great.

2 pairs of jeans, 1 being worn and 1 to dry.

several pairs of socks

1 pair of tennis shoes, sprayed with waterproofing

1 hooded sweatshirt each (1 had windbreaker finish)

wrinkle releaser ...works great for what it's made for, works real well to freshen clothes up.

if it's damp, the rain slicker helps keep you warm, also. keeps the wind off.

on some of the whale watch or float planes you might need to go down a ramp to the dock. if the water level is low, the ramp could be steep..make sure you take something that has non-skid soles. same for the steps getting on and off the ship in the rain. they get slick.

Thanks, I think your right about the dry climate.

... and most helicopter / glacier landing / dog sledding excursions are going to outfit you with those overshoe waterproof boot things' date=' so any shoe is going to be fine there.[/quote']

Great Gail, thanks.

This will be my 2nd time for Sept. Long underwear! My legs get colder than my arms. I'm only going to bring 3 pairs of sweat pants and then rain proof over pants! Major dry! Rain coat a must with a hood, and thinking of a see thru umbrella for being on deck to view thru if raining/snowing. I bring along a great pair of waterproof boots so my feet never get cold. Hat and gloves a must, keeps your ears warm. Have a great time!

Pam

• 1 month later...

I think I finally have all my cold-weather clothing purchases finished! I just ordered a pair of Polartec gloves, windproof "bucket" hat, and Thermaskin pants and top from Lands' End overstocks. (I might even take my ragg mittens to wear over the gloves - because I hate being cold!) I need to break-in my hiking boots that I will be using for a glacier hike in Kennicott (they don't provide boots for that). I'll also take several pairs of wool boot socks, a hooded sweatshirt, squall jacket, waterproof rain jacket, and maybe knit pants to wear over the long underwear rather than jeans - though I'll surely take those, too. I don't feel like investing in rain pants - so I hope early June is somewhat dry!

Personally, I wouldn't bring knit pants to Alaska, unless heavy like sweatpants, and even then, only if in addition to jeans or with an outer pair of windpants. Knit just doesn't protect from a cold wind.

Been there, done that!

Personally, I wouldn't bring knit pants to Alaska, unless heavy like sweatpants, and even then, only if in addition to jeans or with an outer pair of windpants. Knit just doesn't protect from a cold wind.

Been there, done that!

Thanks!

I am going on a 10 day Alaskan cruise the beginning of July, what would the weather be like then? We will be spending the week before in San Francisco (DH has a conference) and I'm trying to figure out how to pack so that clothes could be for entire time (I plan to wash in SF before we board ship). Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

It will be myself, DH, and DD (age 13). We've never been to Alaska - only warm weather destinations although we live in Michigan so we do have cold weather clothing. Would lined pants be a good idea? Also we will be on the Dawn Princess, will people be swimming? Are the pools heated? And one more question (don't know if this is the place to be asking this??) sorry if it's not...what type of formal wear should we take? The conference in SF, DH will have a dark suit and suit jacket and I will have what I would guess would be resort casual. Does anyone know how fancy the dress is on the Dawn and do the teens dress also?

Thanks so much for any help, as you can see I have so much to figure out!!

In July you certainly don't need your winter clothing. Something to break the wind as an outer layer, and then pretty much normal clothes to layer. Probably what you wear for spring or fall. And don't forget to throw in a pair of shorts, or at least capris. Even on a glacier, if it's a sunny day in the summer, it will be very warm.

"We will be spending the week before in San Francisco (DH has a conference) and I'm trying to figure out how to pack so that clothes could be for entire time"

I live just north of San Francisco and I can tell you that the summers in the City can be quite cool because of the fog. We always see tourists that come with just shorts and they're walking around freezing!! Don't know if you ever heard the old saying: "The coldest winter I ever spent was the summer I spent in San Francisco." That's exaggerating a bit, and it CAN be quite nice, but you need to bring some warm clothes, especially for the evening.

Seems tho, that you can use the same kind of clothes on your cruise :)

As far as what to wear on the ship, I copied this directly from Princess' website:

ONBOARD ATTIRE

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual Evenings:

Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

• Pants and open-neck shirts for men

In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times.

Formal Evenings:

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies

• Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men

Archived