norwegian dawn engine problems

refman

is there any verifiable information anywhere with regards as to which weeks will be cancelled so NCL can repair these ongoing engine problems once and for all. we`re not leaving until june and can book another cruise now as our final bill is`nt due until april. NCL should inform all involved and stop the rumor crap from flowing any further. any opinions appreciated as well!!!

Since NCL has not posted a scheduled dry dock by now, it appears they are attempting to repair the engine on the fly. I suspect there won't be a dry dock, and the ship will be repaired soon.

NCL has been very quiet about the engine problem, have not said what is wrong, or whether they are waiting for a part.

Openings for dry docks can take months. There aren't many of them large enough to fit these large ships. Fortunately the Dawn does have more than one engine. While she may be slowed down, she still can sail a wonderful itinerary never the less.

Openings for dry docks can take months. There aren't many of them large enough to fit these large ships. Fortunately the Dawn does have more than one engine. While she may be slowed down, she still can sail a wonderful itinerary never the less.

Thanks Don, love hearing that:)!

I recall it took NCL over a year to repair the Dream's engine problems on the fly during 2004-2005. They even brought in a special crew of live-aboard engineers and mechanics to do the job.

While it may have seemed an entire year, it was actually around 6 months, from late May to early November 2005, to repair the diesel engine, which had thrown a rod and damaged the crankshaft. The Dream's diesel had serious problems, lets hope the Dawn's isn't in as bad a shape and can be repaired quicker.

While it may have seemed an entire year, it was actually around 6 months, from late May to early November 2005, to repair the diesel engine, which had thrown a rod and damaged the crankshaft. The Dream's diesel had serious problems, lets hope the Dawn's isn't in as bad a shape and can be repaired quicker.

The Dream began to develop engine troubles as early as their March 2004 re-po cruise and continued for well over a year until Nov 2005, when it was finally fixed. There were many usenet posts regarding this problem all the way back to early 2004, indicating it was a lot more than 6 months that their engine suffered chronic problems. It actually took them more than a year, and closer to 2, to resolve it.

See the following posts concerning the reported engine problems:

http://www.*****.com/37w6ae

...for an April 22, 2004, post, esp. the 10th paragraph...

http://www.*****.com/2me4dh

...for reference to the March 2004 re-po cruise in which engine problems are also discussed

Don't mean to be picky or argumentative but I try not to post info based on what it "seems" or "feels" like to me.

Actually the first engine problem was resolved quite swiftly. Then all of the engines went through a drydock maintenance. Four to five months later another engine took six months to repair, waiting for a new camshaft to be built. So technically, it wasn't the same engine.

Actually the first engine problem was resolved quite swiftly. Then all of the engines went through a drydock maintenance. Four to five months later another engine took six months to repair, waiting for a new camshaft to be built. So technically, it wasn't the same engine.

But per any reasonable definition the problems became chronic, so whether it was only one engine is irrelevant. The bottom line is the ship's ability to operate properly was out of whack for a long time.

The Dream has four engines. With one engine down, it still has three left. Since this ship was only designed to do only 20 knots, losing an engine did slow it down to the point it could not do its scheduled itineary. Only one port was dropped from the itinerary, Sitka. With the new schedule and itineary, the Dream arrived at each port on time.

Slow yes, Unsafe? Not in my opinion. I am retired Coast Guard. Have you ever worked on a ship before?

Has there been any news regarding the Dawn going into drydock? I've been reading on some other threads that they might do it later in the season (July/August). My husband and I are booked on the 8/25 sailing and even though it's still so very far away :-( we're concerned about our cruise being cancelled. Thanks for any info.

We have even more concerns since we are sailing 4/1. It does appear that the are attempting to fix the problem on the fly. One of our roll call buddies did call NCL and was assured the problem would be fixed by the time we sailed. I doubt the person on the phone had any real idea but I feel a wee bit better. The ship is due back on Sunday and we haven't heard anything yet about a revised itinerary for the 3/11 sailing, have we???

We have even more concerns since we are sailing 4/1. It does appear that the are attempting to fix the problem on the fly. One of our roll call buddies did call NCL and was assured the problem would be fixed by the time we sailed. I doubt the person on the phone had any real idea but I feel a wee bit better. The ship is due back on Sunday and we haven't heard anything yet about a revised itinerary for the 3/11 sailing, have we???

Yes it is revised,,,,,,,and I'm sure all the cruises until the problem is fixed will have "revised". The boat probably has to be drydocked, and that won't happen for a while. NCL will not cancel any 10 or 11 day cruises, they'll loose too much money. Its a shame, because with all the sea time, everyone booked on a 10 or 11 day cruise could have gone on a 7 day cruise, for less money. I am going with the flow, and hoping that somehow, this doens't interfear with my vacation . I'm pretty adaptable. I just can't beleive that there aren't more people screaming and yelling.......and trying to change their plans......$100.00 per cabin for some is a good deal but when you're paying over $6,0000 for your cabin, and to enjoy several islands, 100.00 doesn't seem like a lot. I know things happen, boats break......but I would think at least be honest with the people, and let them decide if they want to change their vacation plans to another time. 3 days notice is not alot of time...and I'm sure NCL knows exactly when they are going to fix the ship. Honesty is all that I would expect from the cruise line.

Archived