Century Sports Deck Cabin 1249?

cruiseorbust

Just off the Century last week. While I can't tell you anything about the inside of this cabin; the deck/outside area looks out on a huge awning that provides shade to an outside dining area off of deck 11 aft. We commented that this would not be apealling to us and no way would I pay the premium that they seem to be charging for these aft cabins on deck 12.

Last December, I sailed in cabin 1242 - also at the aft on the Sports Deck. As it turns out, the deck plan was wrong, and 1242 was the same size and shape as 1249 - which I think must be one of the best-dept secrets on Century! They call it a normal Oceanview Stateroom, but it's absolutely HUGE! Just to the port side of the cabin (the white space on the deck plan) is an outside stairway that goes from Deck 11 up to Deck 13 - it does not stop at all on the Sports Deck - and it's not used very much, for that reason. Yes, the windows do look out over the Sunset Bar, but you also get a great view aft. The only negative is that, at night, we had to close the shades since people way over at the edge of the Sunset Bar might be able to look up into the cabin.

Here's info I posted earlier about 1242, and how gorgeous it was - hope this is helpful -but remember that everything in the cabin will be reversed for 1249:

I absolutely LOVED the cabin! It was nice and big - plenty roomy for three adults. It did have a fold-down upper berth (which would have accomodated a fourth person) - that would have been a bit too cozy for four adults, but it would have been fine for two adults and two kids. Please note that the deck plans are WRONG for this cabin... The inside part of cabin 1242 is the same shape as the Family cabin on the port side of the ship (1249) - and then the balcony takes up most of the "white space" shown to the right of the cabin on the deck plans.

First - a description of the cabin: The cabin can be divided into two sections - the sitting area and the bed area (there's a heavy curtain that you can pull to divide the areas for privacy, reading/TV, etc.). When you step into the cabin, the bathroom (nice and roomy by cruiseship standards) is on the left. Stepping into the cabin, you go down a (very!) small "hallway" past the bathroom. Straight ahead is a small sofa (which makes into a full-size bed) - and the fold-down bunk is above the sofa. Also in this sitting area are a dressing table, small chair and round glass table. Just past the round table, a dresser curves around the outside wall - this provides tons of storage (we didn't come close to filling all the drawers and closet space). A flat-panel TV sits on this dresser. The closet is just past the dresser, on the outside wall that is the starboard side of the ship. The bed(s) sit across from the dresser, with the headboard up against the wall that is shared with cabin 1240. Because of the shape of the cabin, the bed is rounded - that is, the "foot-end" of the bed is rounded so that you can walk around the bed to the balcony door. The balcony door (not a big sliding door, but a standard size door made entirely of glass) is in the far corner of the room, up against the balcony of cabin 1240. There are two large picture windows - one overlooks the canopy that covers the Sunset Bar, and the other overlooks the Sunset Bar directly. (Yes, we did have to close the curtains when we changed clothes at night.)

The balcony: The balcony is shaped a bit oddly - the first 2 feet or so are wider, as the balcony follows the curve of the outside wall... then it just extends straight out to the side of the ship. It's about 6-7 feet wide at its narrowest point, and is about 19-20 feet long (from the cabin to the side of the ship). It had two chairs and a square table - a great spot and size for breakfast or cocktails. Here's the downside - there is NO privacy at all, from above or below. When I was up very early in the morning, or very late at night, I comfortable being outside in my bathrobe - but the Sunset Bar was such a popular spot that I learned to pull on shorts and a t-shirt earlier than I might have otherwise. I had been concerned about being disturbed by noise from the bar area - but this was never the case. In fact, we never did hear the guitarist that played there in the evenings. We never really heard any noise at all inside the cabin, and were not bothered at all by conversations when we were on the balcony. In other words, we could all see each other, but the sound did not travel up to the balcony.

The cabin was decorated beautifully, with all new carpet, drapes, bedding, etc. It really was gorgeous - and a very comfortable place to spend some time. The biggest downside for me was the bed. I'm 6' tall, and the bed was way too short - especially since the foot-end was rounded - and more especially since the beds were apart (it might have been easier to deal with if they were in a queen-size configuration). Imagine a very narrow twin-size bed, that's about a foot shorter on one side than the other... As it turned out, the sofa bed was the best bed in the room. It was a full-size - maybe wider - and was incredibly comfortable. It was a little short for my 6'3" dad, but the width and overall comfort more than made up for that. I kept trying to arm-wrestle him for it, but he flat refused to trade beds with me. :-)

I mentioned that the bathroom seemed roomy to me - I especially appreciated the good-sized shower. My one complaint was the sink. It was lovely, but just not practical. It wasn't very big, and we couldn't help but splash and spill water on the counter and floor all the time.

-------------------------

And here's a later post with photos:

When you first walk in the door, you see the sofabed and minifridge - as well as one of the large picture windows and a small, round table with chair.

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p303/LuvinCruisin/Century%20Cabin%201242/?action=view&current=Sofabed-Century1242.jpg

Walk down that little hall to the sofabed, and turn to the left, and on your right will be the long dresser (that curves along the outside wall) - with the flat-panel TV - and the second large picture window.

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p303/LuvinCruisin/Century%20Cabin%201242/?action=view&current=Dresser-Century1242.jpg

From that same spot (in between the two sections of the room), the bed(s) are on the left. You can see that we had the beds set up as twins - but when we first came in, they were set up as a queen. As a queen, it just looked like the foot of the bed was rounded - but as twins, the "rounding" took too much length off the bed (IMHO - I'm 6' tall, and the short side was WAY too short). There are cabinets above each bed, and a drawer and shelf in each nightstand. You can also see the closet on the right side of this photo. Past the beds on the right is the door to the balcony. At the far left side of the photo is the heavy curtain that could be pulled across to separate the "sofa" part of the room from the "bed" part of the room.

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p303/LuvinCruisin/Century%20Cabin%201242/?action=view&current=Beds-Century1242.jpg

Here's a photo of the bathroom, with the lovely sink that was very messy.

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p303/LuvinCruisin/Century%20Cabin%201242/?action=view&current=Bathroom-Century1242.jpg

Hope this helps - the pictures really do not fully convey how large the room is, or the difference you get from having two large picture windows.

Beth

I think the categorization of 1249 might have changed since the remodeling was done... right now, Celebrity's website shows 1242 as a Sunset Veranda (which is what it was called when I sailed in it), and 1249 is shown as a Cat 04 Ocean View - it does not have a balcony.

Hope this helps - Beth

would some kind soul clarify-is 1249 a balcony cabin or oceanview??

It is NOT a balcony cabin. There are stairs to the left of the end cabin on the port side. The end cabin on the starboard side has a balcony where the stairs used to be.

We had 1246 and I would choose a different cabin next time. I wanted to experience the new view, but all you saw was the top of the dirty cover over the Sunset Bar.

would some kind soul clarify-is 1249 a balcony cabin or oceanview??

I'm holding the newest brochure in my hand. Cabin 1249 is listed as a Cat. 2A "NEW TO CENTURY Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda. Stateroom 170 sq. ft., veranda 42 sq. ft.

Hope this helps.

I'm holding the newest brochure in my hand. Cabin 1249 is listed as a Cat. 2A "NEW TO CENTURY Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda. Stateroom 170 sq. ft., veranda 42 sq. ft.

Hope this helps.

The brochure is NOT accurate. That cabin does not have a balcony. Been there..saw it with my own eyes. See my post above

The brochure is NOT accurate. That cabin does not have a balcony. Been there..saw it with my own eyes. See my post above

Gosh, that's pretty scary that Celebrity printed their newest brochure for the Caribbean (2007/2008) and mistakenly listed that as a balcony cabin. What are people supposed to do that book that cabin with the understanding that it's a balcony cabin, as stated in the brochure? I haven't seen any posts yet from anybody who stayed in that cabin that they learned upon opening the door that it's got no balcony.

Is Celebrity aware of the misprint?

My last post on the subject. From the Celebrity web site, which is more up to date than a printed brochure.

Century

04 Ocean View, 1249

Sports Deck

175 sq. ft.

Char, I don't think there's any reason to get testy about it. I wasn't arguing with you. I was simply stating that the brochure I just got this past week listed it as a Cat. 2A balcony and said it was new to Century. Not everybody views Celebrity's website when making a reservation, and it's unfortunate that one can't rely on the brochure to be accurate. If not all TA's are aware that the brochure is wrong, I just wonder if someone could mistakenly book that cabin thinking it was a balcony. It really surprises me that Celebrity could make a mistake like that. But then again, you can call Celebrity with a question 3 different times, speak to 3 different people, and get 3 different answers. I would just feel awful for someone if they booked that cabin thinking it's a balcony based on the brochure, and it really isn't. How awful would that be to open the door to your cabin and and find there's no balcony???!!!

It is NOT a balcony cabin. There are stairs to the left of the end cabin on the port side. The end cabin on the starboard side has a balcony where the stairs used to be.

We had 1246 and I would choose a different cabin next time. I wanted to experience the new view, but all you saw was the top of the dirty cover over the Sunset Bar.

hello..Char...could you tell me if the bed in Cabin 1246 is a double or a queen when pushed together.......I have been searching different websites and its been called a double bed on some..... a queen bed on some...and just convertable lower beds on some..very confusing ....we are looking at the Century for 2/08..5 nights western caribbean....thanks Marianne

hello..Char...could you tell me if the bed in Cabin 1246 is a double or a queen when pushed together.......I have been searching different websites and its been called a double bed on some..... a queen bed on some...and just convertable lower beds on some..very confusing ....we are looking at the Century for 2/08..5 nights western caribbean....thanks Marianne

The bed is larger than a double, probably a queen. The outside corners at the foot of the bed curve in so passage between the bed and the mirrored wall is easier. It is the new bedding and we found it to be very comfortable.

The bed is larger than a double, probably a queen. The outside corners at the foot of the bed curve in so passage between the bed and the mirrored wall is easier. It is the new bedding and we found it to be very comfortable.

thanks for info Char

Char:

We just booked 1246 on the Century for 6/08. Would you suggest that we change that to a different room and if so why. We have always loved aft balconies simply because we can see both sides. But it sounds as though this room is not too desirable.

Thanks for any insight.

Karon

I would appreciate comments on 1246 also as I just booked it for May 2008. If the canvas over the bar extends outward below, can't you still see the ocean when looking directly aft? We had an aft cabin years ago on Explorer of the Seas and loved it so I wanted to try again. I was advised the balcony is 80 feet which sounds really nice. If anyone who's been in that cabin can comment, please do.

Char:

We just booked 1246 on the Century for 6/08. Would you suggest that we change that to a different room and if so why. We have always loved aft balconies simply because we can see both sides. But it sounds as though this room is not too desirable.

Thanks for any insight.

Karon

Here is a picture of the balcony looking from just inside. Click the thumbnail for a larger view.

1241922857_Centurybalcony(Custom)(Custom).jpg.8c0b82909dad5d62e9d8c0d1207806b7.jpg

I would appreciate comments on 1246 also as I just booked it for May 2008. If the canvas over the bar extends outward below, can't you still see the ocean when looking directly aft? We had an aft cabin years ago on Explorer of the Seas and loved it so I wanted to try again. I was advised the balcony is 80 feet which sounds really nice. If anyone who's been in that cabin can comment, please do.

Here is another picture looking out from the balcony.

482178128_1Centurybalconyview(Custom)(Custom).jpg.8e5fa763b733c54b3ada2a79f581c7ae.jpg

Archived