Rockin' & Rollin' on the Dawn!!

Hi everyone! Well, if you've checked our bridge cam you'll see that we are really rocking & rolling! 20+ foot seas, 60 mile an hour head wind, I think we're only doing about 6-8 knots -- at this rate we'll be lucky to make San Juan at all!

Embarkation was a NIGHTMARE!! We got to the pier via bus from RI at 12:15, they didn't let us off the bus until around 1, and we didn't board until 3:15 -- never seen it so bad! We ended up leaving NYC an hour late.

Other than the lousy weather, the Dawn is as beautiful as the last time we sailed, and we're having a very relaxing time! Tonight is the VIP cocktail party, dinner probably in one of the main dining rooms, and then Eddie Holman show at 9:30 ("hey there lonely girl"). Very nice guy, talked to him for quite a while in the cigar bar last night.

Okay, let's see if this posts! I'll try to get on again tomorrow or next day!

I have checked out the webcam, and man, those seas look pretty fierce! I guess it's to be expected though, given the massive storms that have been in the whole eastern half of the U.S. in the past couple of days. But I am watching them hoping and praying that they are not that bad when we're on the Dawn in just three weeks!

Have a great time and take care of that ship, as I'm really looking forward to being back on board at the end of the month!

Ouch; I feel your pain; we were on the Dawn on 1/18 (yes, the one with the horrible passengers from Brooklyn) and the first sea day was like that.

If it helps, the rest of the trip was perfect, so maybe you're just getting all the bad weather out of the way up front?

Great to see you posting. Hope it's not too rocky for everyone, crappy way to start a vacation if you're seasick!

We were a bit frightened yesterday when a radio station in NJ said a cruise ship was on fire...glad to hear it wasn't you guys and there was no followup, so it must have resolved itself, whatever it was.

Treat the Dawn nicely, let her know we'll be along next week!

Since when is embarkation from NYC not a nightmare?

Ok really it isn't a nightmare. If I described what I truly considered a nightmare everyone would run away. ;)

But I have to say this; every cruise I go on that leaves NYC the thing I look down on is the terminal. Always. It's worse than packing and even PCD. Which btw if you take enough cruises it goes away quickly. :D

Sea conditions are improving quickly as they usually do on these runs. It is rare to have more than one really bad sea day in a row on non transatlantic cruises.

The bow is my favorite place to stay when it's rough. I'm no listener of heavy metal but you cannot help the terms. Steel hull + beam sea = headbanging heavy metal! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVlpJPoR9vM&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fnclcruiseblog%2Ecom%2Fwordpress%2F%3Fpage%5Fid%3D22

Hi again:

As of 8:00 this morning we had only travelled 638 NM, with 804 to go to San Juan. Needless to say, we will NOT be going to San Juan. We will have another sea day tomorrow and make our way to Tortola. The seas have calmed a bit -- 4-8 feet -- but the wind is still for 6 or 7. We seemed to be going along at a pretty good clip, but of course now that SJ is out, we've slowed right down. Weather is cloudy and cool; not a good pool deck day.

Some tidbits about our cruise: we have 1,300 French Canadians on board, mostly from the Montreal area. Over 400 kids, with a mix of toddlers, youngsters and teens. All seem to be well behaved, though the youngsters have taken over the Oasis pool today. I guess if you live in Montreal, this weather is tropical!:eek:

Case of the missing bar setup: we never got our bar setup on embarkation (my 12-pack of Poland Springs didn't make it either -- I guess that's long gone). It seems the bar staff put the bottles in a bag and delivered them to our SR before it was made up. Room steward thought it was left by the previous passenger!:rolleyes: Poor Larry was all apologetic when he came in with it yesterday afternoon...

Went to the Eddie Holman show last night -- what a great entertainer he is, and what a wonderful personality! It was a great time!

We missed the martini clinic AND the VIP cocktail party yesterday -- we were being very lazy (and tired -- hadn't had much sleep the last couple of days) so we ate at the buffet, went to the 7:30 show and called it a night. Maybe I'll make the margarita tasting today.:p

I'm off to see what's happening on board!

I hope you guys have the best time. School cancelled Friday because of the weather. Seems like ours was the only school actually cancelled. Fitchburg and Leominster didn't even have delays.

Pretty nice today, but really enjoy not being here early next week when the temp is supposed to be in single digits. Jim and the kids are skiing today.

Hope you have good luck booking your Majesty cruise. Doesn't look good for us for April.:(

Well, the passengers on the Dawn were very happy to make port in Tortola today! And believe it or not, my shore excursion to Jost Van Dyke was cancelled AGAIN!!! I had a plan B, but DH was being poopy about the ferry, so we just walked around Roadtown, and then came back to a very quiet pool deck and enjoyed the afternoon. It was VERY hot here today -- I guess I'm not used to it being this warm, since we usually cruise down this way in November and December.

We are now on our way to St. Maarten. The following day we will be in st. Thomas -- and that's going to be a zoo, with six ships in port, customs, and I believe we're tendering!:eek: I may just cancel our excursion to Magen's Bay and stay on the ship!

Other than the missed port, cancelled excursion, and the mess up with our bar setup and excursion tickets (had to have them reprinted -- we never got them -- I think they went the same place my water went:cool: ) things have been great. We've actually eaten in the main dining rooms (Aqua last night, Venetian tonight) which is rare for us -- and the food has been fabulous. The only thing I miss are the different salads they used to have... oh well, gotta love that caeser salad anyway!

Off to find DH, and turn in early tonight - can't wait to go to Orient Beach tomorrow!!

Oh, I forgot -- there was a second martini clinic yesterday at 4:00 (I missed the first one) and it was a FULL HOUSE! We had eight different martinis, including one with the Grey Goose infused peaches that Jose had been brewing for a few days -- yummy! Poor Jose says he's blown his clinic budget already and we still have another margarita clinic!:D

I'm glad things are going good for you now......Save some Martinis for us.......in april we have a big crowd for the Clinic!! Can't wait......and can't wait for the hot weather.......Have fun.

Hope your cruise gets better each day. I hope you get to Magen's Bay. We love the beaches in St. Thomas. Next time we want to try Sapphire Beach. It looks gorgeous.

I hope you enjoy Orient Beach. St. Martin is our favorite caribbean island.

I'll bet most cruisers would be glad to skip San Juan. It's a great place to get off and have a drink and get back on.

Looks like in fact you are tendering today :cool:

Hey, I see Peggy in that picture!!! :D

Glad you're having a great time and rolling with the punches....

I didn't have a doubt about that...

Jackie

Archived