Carry-on bag only?

molaurie

Yes it could be done, but only if you are going into a warm weather climate that requires very light clothing and that you are willing to use the on board laundry facilities. My mom packed very light for a three week stint in Europe and a cruise back to NYC. She managed to take a skirt and pants that could be paired with a multitude of tops and accessories, and even made it work for formal nights. She chose the right fabrics, Many wrinkle proof or ones that were supposed be be wrinkled. A couple of silk scarves, a great white shirt and she looked polished and fresh.

Although we haven't done 2 weeks, My husband and I were on a 10-day Panama Canal cruise in December and used only 1 carry-on each. I had a wheeled suitcase that is acceptable to the airlines as a carry-on. (Check the airline regulations of the carrier you are using.) My husband and I do a lot of traveling and we never check luggage.

I was able to pack in my bag alone: 2 long dresses for the formal nights, a pair of dress sandals, regular sandals, flip-flops for the pool, 5 evening blouses, a long pair of black dress pants, a black dress skirt and jacket, 6 daytime shirts, 3 pair of capris, 2 pair of shorts, swimsuit and coverup, pajamas, underwear, socks, toiletries, curling iron, an insulated coffee mug, and a camera.

Almost all my clothing was wrinkle-resistant and I rolled everything. I narrowed my clothing down to 3 colors that would mix and match with everything else. In addition, I laid out everything several weeks ahead of time and slowly eliminated items I didn't think I would need. Also remember that the ships have laundromats and laundry service.

Good luck!

I haven't done it on a cruise but I do it all the time when traveling by myself. The longest trip I took sans checked luggage was 4 weeks. My wilfe lokes to pack all of Norstrom's when she travels. Even if she didn't have this tendency, we couldn't do it when cruising since she likes the lines with formal wear for most dinners. It is hard to carry on tuxes, etc.

Paul

i suppose it has a lot to do with what your definition of "carry on" is... i was noting some people were carrying on bags that were the size of my suitcases! I found it a bit odd that I am only allowed one carry on & a personal item (usually purse) & people bring on bags that i could fit 10 of mine in...

I should mention that my bag is only 19"x12"x7" (which includes the wheels, too).

I have however, seen so-called "carry-ons" that were twice the size of mine and have always wondered how those passengers were able to go through security with them!

Whatever the case, if you mix and match colors, roll clothing, and/or use the laundry, you should be able to travel lightly with no troubles.

Although we haven't done 2 weeks, My husband and I were on a 10-day Panama Canal cruise in December and used only 1 carry-on each. I had a wheeled suitcase that is acceptable to the airlines as a carry-on. (Check the airline regulations of the carrier you are using.) My husband and I do a lot of traveling and we never check luggage.

I was able to pack in my bag alone: 2 long dresses for the formal nights, a pair of dress sandals, regular sandals, flip-flops for the pool, 5 evening blouses, a long pair of black dress pants, a black dress skirt and jacket, 6 daytime shirts, 3 pair of capris, 2 pair of shorts, swimsuit and coverup, pajamas, underwear, socks, toiletries, curling iron, an insulated coffee mug, and a camera.

Almost all my clothing was wrinkle-resistant and I rolled everything. I narrowed my clothing down to 3 colors that would mix and match with everything else. In addition, I laid out everything several weeks ahead of time and slowly eliminated items I didn't think I would need. Also remember that the ships have laundromats and laundry service.

Good luck!

My question is-----How do you get carry-on toiletries thru security at airport with the 3oz, 1 quart bag limit?

My question is-----How do you get carry-on toiletries thru security at airport with the 3oz, 1 quart bag limit?

That was my thought as well.

We haven't flown yet since the regulations have been changed, but I know I will have to alter my packing strategy. I've not packed clothing in my carry on for years now, only toiletries. I think I'll just switch it around a bit, or go without a carry on at all :)

I think it's possible to pack in only a carry on size for a cruise, if you are careful about the type of clothing you take and cut down drastically on the shoes. We once met a lovely retired couple who told us they did exactly that and cruised several 2 week cruises a year. We're working on it and are getting better with each successive cruise.

Most of us have taken a suitcase and not worn half of what we took, the trick is to figure out which half you need the most!

That was my thought as well.

We haven't flown yet since the regulations have been changed, but I know I will have to alter my packing strategy. I've not packed clothing in my carry on for years now, only toiletries. I think I'll just switch it around a bit, or go without a carry on at all :)

I think it's possible to pack in only a carry on size for a cruise, if you are careful about the type of clothing you take and cut down drastically on the shoes. We once met a lovely retired couple who told us they did exactly that and cruised several 2 week cruises a year. We're working on it and are getting better with each successive cruise.

Most of us have taken a suitcase and not worn half of what we took, the trick is to figure out which half you need the most!

Hubby and i recently took week long cruise with one carry on each- mix and match- worked great. Hardest part was the shoes? I just carry a small back pack for my wallet, baggies, pills etc separate from my luggage. I LOVE Denims--went to south america for 2 weeks with a carry on each and a large back pack- denim pants, shorts, capris, skirt- mixed with no wrinkle blouses and shirts- worked great and so many are so cure anymore!:)

The toiletries issue really wasn't a problem. DH only had a few items that "needed" to be in the ziplock bag, so I put the remainder of my toiletries in his bag! Also, just about anything comes in travel size anymore.

I also use the ship's (or hotel, if the case be) shampoo, conditioner, and soap, so don't need to bring those.

The toiletries issue really wasn't a problem. DH only had a few items that "needed" to be in the ziplock bag, so I put the remainder of my toiletries in his bag! Also, just about anything comes in travel size anymore.

I also use the ship's (or hotel, if the case be) shampoo, conditioner, and soap, so don't need to bring those.

OK, I see. There is no way I could get all my toiletries into 2 quart sized ziploc baggies :eek: . I will not use hotel/ship shampoo, nor bar soap and I have a multitude of hair product that I use. All that and I have contact lenses and have 3 solutions just for them. I'm all for travelling with one case, even if it's a carry on, but I think I'll check it so I can take what I need :) .

Edit to add, it's not just that I'm a shampoo snob, my hair is color treated and that costs $$, regular shampoo strips it almost immediately. The hair is baby fine and I'll use two travel sized cans of hairspray in a week.

CanalBound and others who do not check bags:

When you get to the ship (to embark), do you carry your bag onto the boat yourself or do you give it to the porter and "meet" your bag at your stateroom?

Canalbound,

You are my hero! My goal is to have one carry on, as well. How did you roll your clothes? For instance, did you roll each item individually or did you roll all of the shirts as one? I rolled my shirts as a group and pants and shorts individually then put them in big ziplocks. My suitcase was so much neater, plus I had the ziplock bags that I could use for other things if necessary.:)

I have traveled to Italy for a month with only a carry-on, but I was visiting and was able to do my own laundry. It worked well but I could never do it for my cruises as I need a greater variety of things to wear such as formal clothes. I usually cruise for a month at a time and would probably bore myself with what one could fit in the carry-on. Another issue is I am a rather large woman and clothes are larger too. It would be an impossibility to put the variety of clothing necessary into that space .

Fran

I am also a victim of the liquid restrictions. I have really dry skin and will go through a large bottle of skin lotion in a week. I would either have to go shopping in the arrival city or check the bottle in my luggage. I'm a little fussy about hair products because with the wrong ones I resemble Roseanne Roseannadanna.

79nupdate3.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I can't do the one rollaboard thing either. I know I would be bored after just one day! I'm a clothesaholic. I just love them!:D However, I have now limited myself to just a rollaboard, big purse, and one bag to check. I use to put all my clothing in the checked bag and all the tolietries in the rollaboard. Ever since last summer I've had to change that. Now the tolietries and most of the clothing go in the checked bag and the rest goes into the rollaboard!;)

As I mentioned earlier, all my clothing is wrinkle-resistant, and I roll each item individually. I make it a point to purchase a couple items of travelwear each year from companies that specifically make travel clothing. Underwear and socks go in ziploc bags and I smoosh the air of of them.

Hubby is like Biscuit Dog. He packs a couple of dress shirts, pants and a couple of T-shirts and shorts, and buys souvenir shirts on the trip.

Since we are from Minnesota, we usually have to wear our heavier items on the plane and on the ship -- and we dress in layers so those clothes can also be worn on the ship (i.e. short sleeve shirt underneath with a sweater or jacket on top).

As far as boarding, we usually get off the shuttle or taxi, and our bags come with us on the ship. We do not check them with the porter. We've never had a problem doing that.

I actually did a lot of research about traveling light after we lost a bag years ago. I have taught several of my friends to pack light, and I've even been approached to teach a community education class on the subject. I haven't as yet, however.

Canalbound,

I think you have some wonderful ideas, and I already do some of those things. Your friends are probably right; you should teach a community class. My DH and 2 DS always pack much more than they need for vacation, however we always seem to have a laundry facility nearby. And I KNOW that most folks do NOT want to do laundry on vacation, but I don't mind. What's up with that? I have no idea, perhaps I need to attend a class on how to relax while on vacation.:)

Thank you CanalBound. I was hoping to carry my roller bag on with me, so I'm glad to hear that you don't have issues. Can you please explain the advantage to rolling clothers vs. laying them folded/flat? Thank you!

Archived