San Antonio Hotels

bensontc

We're taking the Grand from Galveston on 3/31/07. After the cruise we want to spend a couple of days in San Antonio. Can anyone recommend a nice reasonably priced hotel? Along the riverwalk would be nice.

There are loads of wonderful hotels along the Riverwalk. I would highly recommend the following....Marriott rivercenter (attached to the riverwalk mall), Marriott riverwalk, Hilton Placio on the riverwalk, hyatt Riverwalk, the plaza. There is a holiday inn on the RW, along with a few others. courtyard by marriott is in the downtown area, hamptoms suites. There are typically specials for the RW hotels. Check Entertainment club rates and call the hotels dirctly. Do you qualify for gov or military rates.

Have you been to SA before? You are visiting at a wonderful time of yr with Fiesta, great weather. If I can be of any help, just let me know. I have called SA home for more than 30yrs.

We stayed in the Hyatt Riverwalk on one of our cross country trips. It is really nice but a walk from the Alamo. You can walk along the Riverwalk, my guess maybe 1/3 mile. I did contact the city of San Antonio and was sent a booklet. It had many discount codes for San Antonio. You will love San Antonio. It's a wonderful city!!!

We just stayed at the Comfort Inn a couple of weeks ago. It's a historic monument -- it used to be the county jail and it has been completely renovated. It's just a few blocks from the Riverwalk and a very nice hotel, with a great complimentary breakfast (including Texas-shaped waffles. :) ) It's also very reasonably priced compared to some of them right on the Riverwalk. I think we've probably stayed in every one of those hotels and we liked this one the best.

San Antonio is just 90 minutes away and our favorite weekend getaway. If you like Dixieland Jazz, check out Jim Cullum's The Landing in the Hyatt on the Riverwalk.

• 2 weeks later...

I have stayed at the Hyatt 2x (on the Riverwalk). It is in a great location with the Alamo right across the street. It is a basic Hyatt but the location makes it great.

You will love San Antonio!

San Antonio has a couple of decent barbecue places. A good all around place is Bill Miller's. It is quick and very very inexpensive. It is nothing fancy but the food is usually good. Tom's Ribs is also usually pretty good. You can find Bill Miller's all over San Antonio. There are 3 Tom's Ribs locations, 1604W between 281 and Blanco, location #2 is on Nacogdoches Rd, #3 is on 410W.

County Line is also good and would be very convenient if you are staying on the Riverwalk, as it is located at River Center Mall on the Riverwalk.

If you have plans to eat at a restaurant on the Riverwalk my suggestion would be to walk the Riverwalk and check out the all of the restaurants before selecting one because each one is better than the next! Enjoy your time here and I hope you get to see some wildflowers during your visit....March and April are perfect to view them although our weather has been so dry this year they may not be as abundant as usual. Welcome to Texas!:)

We just stayed at the Hotel Valencia on the Riverwalk and it was fabulous. The Menger is also great. There is also a new hotel across from the Alamo - we haven't stayed there but had a drink in their bar that literally is across from the Alamo - seemed nice and it was very convenient.

For BBQ - take a drive out of SA to Driftwood (about an hour or more from SA) for the best BBQ in Texas at the Salt Lick. Served Family style and they only take cash and you should byob if you want to drink because it is in a dry county. People make a night of it - sit around drinking beer and listing to the person playing guitar and singing and waiting for all that food to digest!

Not specifically to your question, but right near San Antionio is San Marcos. It has two hugh outlet centers right next to each other. Great shopping!!! According to a recent segment on The View, San Marcos was the 5th best shopping locatin in the WORLD. If you're a shopper - you must try San Marcos.

As one of the other San Antonio residents I'd fully agree with Chris' hotel recommendations - especially since you asked for "reasonable." I guess thats a relative term but some mentioned don't fit that criteria for me anyway :-) Also agree on the County Line for BBQ - it's as good as any in a tourist area.

Right by the Alamo and the River Walk where Teddy Roosevelt signed up the Rough Riders.

Mexican Food and Margarita's at the Mercado (Historic Market Square) a few blocks from down town. Try La Margarita or Mi Tierra there. Or further out, La Fogata is excellent.

County Line on the River Walk, get the Big Daddy Beef Rib platter, you'll hurt yourself.

Sunday's at the Salt Lick they serve a huge smoked prime rib, you'll end up taking some home.

Just my luck to be a BarBeQue lover in a Seafood town.

Archived