Sitka Sea Otter/Wildlife Excursion Choices

SakeDad

BQ was great in helping me earlier but I'm looking for anyone who has been on either of these with HAL (or same with another line) that can let me know which you think is best. The first seems like a larger boat and the 2nd is a catameran...but I could be reading these wrong. Which do you think will get closer to the sea otters and wildlife so I can take some great pictures?

Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest

Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest

DURATION: Approximately 3 hours

PRICE: $114 Adult $85 Child

im_shorex_1walkblack.gifim_shorex_limitedcap.gif

Enjoy guaranteed wildlife viewing on this award-winning cruise through one of the world's most beautiful coastal environments. Visit the topside observation deck for unparalleled photo opportunities and the opportunity to observe sea otters, whales, sea lions, porpoise, harbor seals, brown bears, black-tailed deer, bald eagles and a variety of marine birds. An on-board naturalist will explain the workings of this remarkable ecosystem. You'll also learn about the sea otters' recovery following their near extinction at the hands of Russian fur hunters in the early 1800s. The waterjet-driven tour vessel has been specially designed to navigate southeast Alaska's narrow island passages, allowing for spectacular wildlife viewing at close range, and features a warm and comfortable cabin with enclosed seating, large windows, a snack bar, and restrooms. This tour guarantees you will see an otter, a whale, or a bear. If not, you'll receive a us$100 cash refund ($50 refund per child) as you disembark the vessel. The tour includes admission into St Michael's Russian Orthodox Cathedral, should you choose to explore the area on your own either before or after the tour.

OR

Captain's Choice Wildlife Quest & Beach Trek

DURATION: Approximately 3 hours (2-hour cruise; 1 hour on beach)

PRICE: $159 Adult $159 Child

im_shorex_2walkblack.gifim_shorex_limitedcap.gif

Embark on an intimate wildlife viewing adventure aboard a small, deluxe catamaran and step ashore on a remote island to explore the rugged coast. Your knowledgeable Captain will use his understanding of tides, weather and seasonal conditions to design an expedition uniquely suited to the day. The maneuverability of a waterjet-powered craft will allow you to explore areas unreachable by conventional boat. Whales, sea otters, puffins and brown bear are just a few of the species that thrive in Sitka Sound's pristine environment. As animals are sighted, the Captain will skillfully maneuver the vessel to provide optimal viewing, and an expert naturalist will explain their fascinating life-cycles and behaviors. Enjoy the encounter from the comfort of the spacious, window-lined cabin, or experience it with all your senses from outside on deck. Next, go ashore on a remote island. Delight in a quiet exploration of colorful tide pools, trace the meandering tracks of wildlife, or settle on a giant beach log to reflect on the stunning beauty around you. While beachcombing, keep an eye out for Japanese fishing floats and exotic flotsam. Enjoy a snack on the relaxing cruise back to Sitka.

As always....THANKS:)

Hello, there, Sake Dad:

We didn't do either last summer when our Holland America cruise visited Sitka; we went with Cap'n Davey Lubin of www.puffinsandwhales.com who provided us with an amazing wildlife tour and experience. His boat only holds six passengers. There are other independent boat operators in Sitka as well, but this is the only one we know personally and recommend. The Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest is a large boat operation run by Allen Marine, I believe, and they come well-recommended, to the best of my knowledge. I'm including a link for you to the Sitka Convention and Visitors Bureau, because it has a wealth of information.

Karin

ps (Budget Queen usually posts early in the morning, so she should have an answer for you in another seven or eight hours......:) )

We did the Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest from HAL in 2005 and it was great. It was a very calm day and we were able to see whales, eagles, sea otters and puffins. The boat doesn't get very close to the sea otters, but I had a 10x zoom digital camera and got some great pictures. We had a good time on the trip. It may be better with a smaller boat though. My wife sets sick on small boats so we opted for the larger boat. We tendered in Sitka and because we were on this trip first thing in the morning, we were able to get off the ship first.

Thanks for the Sitka website. It seems the puffinsandwhales.com one is down though. But there are several other choices there as well as HAL's so I can get some good info that way. Much appreciated!!

Thanks for the Sitka website. It seems the puffinsandwhales.com one is down though. But there are several other choices there as well as HAL's so I can get some good info that way. Much appreciated!!

That is so strange that you can't access their site. I just clicked on my link, and I got through. Try and see if you can get there by googling "Esther G Sea Taxi", which is the name of Davey's boat. Anyway, there are lots of viable options for sight-seeing in Sitka. It's a great port choice! Good luck!

Karin

I'm in LUCK! He already has 4 pax from the Noordam booked and I will make 5. It will be a 4 hour tour for the same price HAL is charging for 3 so I'm extremely grateful to all of you for your suggestions. I feel very confident I will get a great tour and have some incredible photography opportunities with him.

If you are on the 5/20 sailing there is now only ONE spot left so you better book quick if you want it!! If you are already booked on it I hope to see you on the Rollcall or meet you onboard before we hit Sitka!:D

Yukon,

Great pics!!! Exactly what I'm hoping to get. Did you use 35mm or digital? Zoom lens? How hard was it to get these shots?

THANKS

Hello, there, Sake Dad:

We didn't do either last summer when our Holland America cruise visited Sitka; we went with Cap'n Davey Lubin of www.puffinsandwhales.com who provided us with an amazing wildlife tour and experience. His boat only holds six passengers.

How is the stability of this small boat? I tend to get seasick, but the meds do help. Is there a restroom?

How is the stability of this small boat? I tend to get seasick, but the meds do help. Is there a restroom?

The stability of the boat is not an issue, it's the stability of the water!:D If you go out to St. Lazaria island to see all the bird colonies there, you will have to cross Sitka Sound. The island itself is exposed to the Pacific Ocean, so yes, getting there can be bumpy. My teen daughter did get seasick on the way out there last summer. If you do tend to get nauseous on the water, this would be something to consider. There is a "head" (nautical term for "terlet":D ) low down in the stern, outside and exposed. You may wish to board the boat with an empty bladder......This is after all, the natural Alaska of the Great Outdoors;) ... Dress warmly, and bring along a spirit of discovery and adventure. My 72-year-old mother had a blast with Cap'n Davey last summer, and sat right up front on the outside bow where she could really enjoy the ride. Wheeeeeee.........:)

I'm in LUCK! He already has 4 pax from the Noordam booked and I will make 5. It will be a 4 hour tour for the same price HAL is charging for 3 so I'm extremely grateful to all of you for your suggestions. I feel very confident I will get a great tour and have some incredible photography opportunities with him.

If you are on the 5/20 sailing there is now only ONE spot left so you better book quick if you want it!! If you are already booked on it I hope to see you on the Rollcall or meet you onboard before we hit Sitka!:D

Yukon,

Great pics!!! Exactly what I'm hoping to get. Did you use 35mm or digital? Zoom lens? How hard was it to get these shots?

THANKS

You've made a great choice. :) This is an excellent opportunity for you, and longer is better here. :)

Consult a health care professional and get precautions. You do not want to miss a minute!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived